I have 2 fuel options for winter storage. Thoughts?

goldnrod24

Reaction score
I'm starting a new topic so as not to confuse matters with the other winter storage topic about how full to keep the tank.

Here in Michigan, my boat sits from October to May..... +/- 8 months (damn). I use fuel containing ethanol (E10) during the summer. Up until now, I have used a fuel stabilizer (specifically for fuel containing ethanol) while the boat is in winter storage.

I have since discovered a station a short ways from where I keep the boat (about a 30 mile round trip) that sells ethanol-free gasoline (they label it RV gas). I am considering making the tow to fill (nearly) the tank for winter storage. I will continue to use stabilizer.

I don't feel compelled to use this fuel during the summer when I am operating the boat since it doesn't stay long in the tank. But for an 8 month layover? Hmm.....

Any thoughts? Waste of time and money?

My Yamaha says it can handle e10  so that's what I use during the season and storage. A add some marine sta-bil and top it off. Fires right up come spring. 

I am envious. If I had that option, I would do it in a heartbeat. Here in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey, there is no ethanol free gas anywhere.

I am told I could get an extra 2-3 MPH with ethanol free gas and much less risk of water in gas.

We have E free gas on the lake and that's what I use.  I use fuel stabilizer over the winter months.  This boat is new but I store other toys over the winter and have never had any issues with the gas that does contain Ethanol.  I top off tanks and add appropriate amount.  They fire right up the next spring.

I ma surprised that you have to travel that far for Ethanol free gas, especially in such a boating state that Michigan is.  Both at my house and my lake house there are numerous stations that carry ethanol free gas.  It is always 91 octane and we are currently paying $2.85/gal.  There are numerous marinas selling gas on our lake and it would be much easier to just pull up to one of them but I made the decision to lug gas and use ethanol free in the Bennington and my two seadoos. 

At home I only use ethanol free in my lawn tractor and snowblower

Snowblower, what's a snowblower?   :p

In my old boat, Mercruiser, I would top off with street gas, add sta-bilI.  In the benny I will fill with straight gas, add sta-bil.

It's that thing I am going to keep in my neighbors garage so he can do my driveway when I am in Florida for the winter [plan on leaving to head down October 15] ;)

That's what I'm wondering. I use my boat almost 12 months out of the year. Last December, we were out on the boat in shorts and tee shirts. 

BTW, I use 100% gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waste. I only keep 1/4 tank or less in mine for storage and pop in a bunch of Marine Stabil. Going on 7 or 8 years like this with no problem and that's with Ethanol blend.

It's that thing I am going to keep in my neighbors garage so he can do my driveway when I am in Florida for the winter [plan on leaving to head down October 15] ;)

We'll wave as we go by on the big boat Sunday out of Ft Lauderdale.

That's what I'm wondering. I use my boat almost 12 months out of the year. Last December, we were out on the boat in shorts and tee shirts. 

BTW, I use 100% gas.

Okay, just rub it in. If we don't get out this weekend, it looks like Labor Day was our last of the 2016 season. Now it seems the nice boating weather is only during the week. It's like the summer switch has been turned off!

Over the years I've gone both ways; fill to the top or almost empty. Either way, I've not had a problem the next year with water in the tank. Lucky? Maybe!

I'm starting a new topic so as not to confuse matters with the other winter storage topic about how full to keep the tank.

Here in Michigan, my boat sits from October to May..... +/- 8 months (damn). I use fuel containing ethanol (E10) during the summer. Up until now, I have used a fuel stabilizer (specifically for fuel containing ethanol) while the boat is in winter storage.

I have since discovered a station a short ways from where I keep the boat (about a 30 mile round trip) that sells ethanol-free gasoline (they label it RV gas). I am considering making the tow to fill (nearly) the tank for winter storage. I will continue to use stabilizer.

I don't feel compelled to use this fuel during the summer when I am operating the boat since it doesn't stay long in the tank. But for an 8 month layover? Hmm.....

Any thoughts? Waste of time and money?

I'm thinking a waste of time and money. Use the marine Stabil and move on. You'll also avoid the potential for damage to your toon while being towed and a roadside breakdown. 

We'll wave as we go by on the big boat Sunday out of Ft Lauderdale.

Was hoping you would go on cruise when we were down there so we could perhaps get together

Was hoping you would go on cruise when we were down there so we could perhaps get together

Next one is out of Baltimore at the end of November. After that out of Charleston on May 15th. We'll be in Savannah tomorrow.

Stop hijacking my thread.

Sheesh, you'd think 2 mods would know better!!!

Stop hijacking my thread.

Sheesh, you'd think 2 mods would know better!!!

I had fuel in our boat from before July 4th, 2015 to the end of August and no problems. It was e-10 fuel with regular stabil and started and ran fine. If you can get no E fuel, I would do it. There, back on topic.  :p

Back