I/O trim pump needs repair

Remediation

Reaction score
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
Didn't boat on Lake Cumberland till Monday morning because of the thunderstorms on Sunday.  Launch the boat, lower the outdrive and take off for breakfast.  Try to play with the trim and it doesn't seem to do anything.  On the way back (in the rain :angry: ), I stop, raise the engine cover and Jill plays with the trim switch. There is fluid in the tank, going down the pump runs.  Going up, you hear the seloinod hit but the pump doesn't run.  The switch on the throttle is working both up and down.  The pump is running in one derection.  I am thinking I have a wiring/switch problem for the up circut at the pump.  

Any trouble shooting help is welcome.  I am not at the boat till the weekend and that is putting a new metal roof on the garage time.  Jill thinks I am kidding , that we can do it ourselves. 

This is the 5.7L mercury I/O 2008

I haven't had a Merc I/O in many years but there should be both a down and an up solenoid. Try jumping or switching them to see if the down one (green wire-down), which is working, will power it back up (blue wire - up).

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had a Merc I/O in many years but there should be both a down and an up solenoid. Try jumping or switching them to see if the down one (green wire-down), which is working, will power it back up (blue wire - up).
Thanks, Tom

Nice link about it HERE. Seems to be a common problem, easily fixed (hopefully!).

That is what I was thinking Tom.

Yup, relays.

I was thinking my last I/O had one button for trim and one for tilt.  On one button, it'd just go up so far.  Then hit the other button and it'd go up all the way.  Hold both buttons at the same time, and mine would raise.

This is one problem that you cannot afford to throw parts at.  A pump is pretty expensive, and a good analysis is required.  It might be a solenoid.

I am going to swap the leads to the solenoid that is working and test the pump.  Thanks for the info.

I was able to jump the + to the blue lead and the up trim works.  I had bought a new solenoid but it is going to take more tools then I had on the boat to replace it.  That is a next time project.  Thanks all for the advice.  

Off topic:  Jill and I installed a metal roof on the garage at the lake.  1000 sq ft.  Took 1.5 days.  My advice is to pay a professional.  

After replacing the shingles on our residence, I vowed to never do that again.  I will never install a metal roof again either. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back