I stubbed my toe in LOTO

Rockie69

Reaction score
(I typed this on a phone, so bear with me...)

Thursday drove 1/2 way down and spent the night in Hannibal.

Friday arrived in LOTO got acclimated, swam, that night I took a group to Paradise, had fun, came home no issues.

Saturday woke up played around the condo, took both boats, mine and my brother-in-laws Brand M with a 2009 Mercury proxs, to party cove, kids swam we had a great time. Dinner time we decided to go to Frankie & Louie's, went there had a great time. On the way back, about 10:30 the bro in laws boat starts acting up, shaking at higher speeds, so we decide to limp it in, after about 5 minutes, he loses all prop power. So we tow him back to a community ramp, load as many as we can onto my boat, head home, get his trailer, head back, load up, and by this time when we get home it's 3 A.M., and the entire time we are having a blast. We all know things break, you get it fixed and move on.

Sunday woke up took the bro in laws boat to get it looked at, find out the lower is shot (we figured, but why not have an expert look at it). Now we are down to one boat my boat, no big deal. We decided to head out early afternoon. On our way back towards, Frankie & Louie's we saw a HUGE rental house so we headed back in a cove to take a look, got back in there about a 1/2 mile and the warning buzzer sounds. I shut down, walk back and all I see behind me is a pool of oil, the transom is full of oil, I lift the hood and the motor is covered in oil. Luckily we are by a ton of houses, people helping left and right. We tied up to a dock and called Towbotus. No big deal, we know the motor is under warranty, and we will get it fixed. So the tow boat shows up, and it's the nicest Captain, Dewayne, he helps us get hooked up, all the while we are laughing and joking with him. We are on our merry way getting towed in. (I'll post a photo of Dewayne pulling us). This company is class act and he was then perfect Captain.

As we were being towed in by the Tan tar a resort (for those of you who know the LOTO area) there is an island, behind the island is a no wake, probably a 1/2 mile, it's a long no wake. FLYING through the no wake was a BOAT LOAD (12 maybe?) of people full bore up on plane heading towards the dock, they were a LONG WAY into the no wake, and guess what, it's a rental boat from the resort. They are heading straight towards Captain Dewayne, he shuts down we are waiving our arms and yelling, they are LAUGHING WHOOPING AND HOLLERING, and now they are coming at my boat. They get closer and closer, I run out to the bow, scream at the top of my lungs, "put it in reverse and gun it, as fast as you can, go backwards". They gun FORWARD, their swim platform, went under my Starboard toon, and they turned towards Dewanye, caught the tow rope and started pulling us forward and Dewayne backwards. We unhooked the tow rope, and Dewanye started chewing ass, the Resort people were trying to figure out what to do. We got docked, I told the resort people to keep that boat on a rope and away from the dock, and told them to get every security person they had.

THE PEOPLE IN THE BOAT WERE YELLING AT US SAYING IT WAS OUR FAULT. CRAZY!!! And at that moment, I remembered what Grandpappy always said, "Son, you can't reason with stupid!" I have now witnessed what he was talking about, no matter what ANYONE said, they were not in the wrong, not the bright red boat with flashing red and yellow lights, not the red flags, not the rope strung from one boat to the other. I stayed we'll away from them.

We talked to the State Patrol and sadly enough this is a common occurrence, and becuse they did not witness it, and there was no property damage (not even a frayed rope), there was nothing he could do but give them a stern talking to.

I have yet to talk to the resort, but I want to know what their Corrective Action is to make sure they people they rent to understand what they are doing when they board a water craft. We docked my boat at the Marina, and decided to let her sit for the night.

So that night we, went to Wobbly Boots to get some BBQ, walking out, I stubbed my toe and got blood all over my sandal.

Wow Jared, it's hard to believe you were the only casualty in all that mess. I hope they get your boat back together without issue. On my previous toon with a Johnson/Suzuki 50hp 4-stroke the dealer left the oil fill cap sitting on top of the motor with the engine cover on after servicing it. I discovered it after a trip across the lake left a nice oil slick behind. The engine and cowling was bathed in oil too, but fortunately the cap was still sitting there and there was enough oil left in the block to not cause a melt down. I topped it off, power washed, and it was good to go.

I'm getting ready to take 2 weeks vacation (just at my home lake though) for the first time in many years, so after reading this I guess I need to start preparing for whatever calamity lies ahead :wacko: . I still to this day carry a small marine version first aid kit on board all the time and I've probably used it at least 5 or 6 times despite being no more than a mile from my house.

Can tell you have the right attitude and am sure you will still have a great time

Rockie...............S--T happens right??????? That's one of those..........If it's not one thing..... it's another, stories. Talk about bad situations compounding. First your brother in laws boat, then your boat, then that crap w/the rental boat while being towed. I think you handled it way better than I would have.......but cool heads prevail. Any idea yet what's wrong w/ALL the boats involved???????

Brother in law is pulling his boat home today, I'll pull mine home tomorrow, upon looking at mine the seal right under the flywheel (on top of the motor) is popped up. So after a compression check, and a scope of the innards, I'll let you guys know what the diagnosis and fix is. BIN boat, he'll have his looked at later this week.

If you have a crappy attitude, you cannot have fun. Went and rented a couple jet skis today rode em like I stole em and had a blast.

Weather has been perfect, and I really want to find a summer home down here. I just need to find a storage locker to keep all the drama in... LOL

Sounds like you handled it very well. Next year think about coming on down to Table Rock - we have some crazies but not as many as LOTO seems to have.

Jack

I'm headed to LOTO for the shootout next week.

We get there 4 or 5 times a year. Gonna stay at the Lodge for the week. It is fun there but some of the idiot's do make it tough. Buy the way, sorry to hear about your toe.

Sheesh, my stories all seem pretty tame compared to that compounded calamity!! Great attitude!!

We get there 4 or 5 times a year. Gonna stay at the Lodge for the week. It is fun there but some of the idiot's do make it tough. Buy the way, sorry to hear about your toe.
Thank you,

Wounds heal. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad no one was injured. If I was there it would have been a I don't know what happened officer "I guess they all slipped on the boat and landed on their faces..."

CAPTAIN DEWAYNE!!!!!!!!!!

25842145ef61dc33ad5373b455727848_zpse81279df.jpg

I wish I could afford to put the gas in this boat...

Black Thunder with triple 700 Chiefs 46 ft.. "No Compromise" is her name. It was docked 2 slips from me. When he started it up on the dock it shook the tin on the roof.

20130810_123341_zps2664fd84.jpg

^^^^ This is John Pfahl he owns the Bravo Shop here at Lake of the Ozarks.......Good Guy and good friend...... This is his Black Thunder 46 Runs in excess of 100MPH........

That was one crazy event, I try to stay away from Tan Tara for that reason, several people renting boats and jet skis with little to no experience nor common sense .......

What happen to the SHO?

What happen to the SHO?
I'll post picks of the top seal that was "blown". Maybe that is what I'll call her. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Blown Seal...LOL (ART ART ART ART <~~~seal noises.)

20130813_185355_zpsfa13fbbe.jpg

20130813_185428_zps6b37630e.jpg

20130813_185237_zpsd096c15d.jpg

20130813_185128_zpsfda1a13b.jpg

Very strange that the seal popped like that.

Wow. Just got around to reading this. Amazing no one got hurt (except for your toe). Crazy story. Glad everyone is okay. You handled this well.

You are certainly giving Derrick a run for his money!

Back