Ice fishing anyone?

Haha.. when I went to class up in Madison, WI., the guys talked about their ice fishing trips ... I thought they were insane. I don‘t think you could pay me enough to sit out there.

I used to go with my Dad .Many years ago , we were on Lake Erie ,I got cold and went back to the car .Some ******** moved his shanty and did not mark it , the water had froze some and the blowing snow covered it . Of course I fell through ,fortunately it wasn't that far from shore .Never been out since and no plans to .

Damn Jack. You lucked out there. I remember back in high school my buddy and I went. His mom asked before we left “do you know what to do if you fall in?” His response...” yeah, get out”.
My ice fishing days are over now down here!

They just interviewed someone on the local news last night that fell through ( in his hospital bed ) ,shattered his leg and when his friends pulled him out they dislocated his shoulder . They asked him if would go back .He said never again .

All over on our lake, but we have somewhere around 15-18‘ on most of the lake.

Trucks and SUV’s - Yup, everywhere. Not me though...Yikes!
37164D3A-ABA6-40A3-8151-6F1072F41BB8.jpeg

Encampments of people ice fishing, yup.

0C4D8E32-2ED7-4130-A8FA-A3FC8F66C434.jpeg

Even three airplanes ON THE LAKE in front of a restaurant for lunch:

4ED76D40-9823-43D6-A23C-CA8FFCF6EFD2.jpeg

None of that is for me though. I’m all about the snowmobiling, but do so with knowledge and care on the lake:

3190A024-C40D-4C05-B7FC-FD82F66A13E8.jpeg

Jeff ,aren't you near where they have Tip Up town ? Heard quite a few vehicles went through

I'm not fearful and often skip open water with snowmobile. (have had to pull it out a couple of times!)
But driving a vehicle as close to open water as shown in my picture just seems like pushing it beyond the point of stupidity.

Jeff ,aren't you near where they have Tip Up town ? Heard quite a few vehicles went through

Yup - that’s on our lake. If I remember correctly 1 truck, and 3-4 snowmobiles back in mid-January went in at TUT.

However, only a few hunderd yards of lake was dangerous, or open water out of the enormity of Houghton Lake. However, in the vein of never underestimating the careless, every one of those incidents involved the same 2-3 spots - all of which were posted on about every HL FB page and website.

Goes to show you, you have to KNOW the body of water OR you should not just willney go on it. On the flip side, all those incidents were in about 4’ or less of water and near shore spots that could have been avoided.

Fast forward a month, and its that much more solid. Again though, there are 3-4 spots to just totally avoid even now.

Hey Fred, didn't you park your new fancy $70,000 truck right over there on the ice? Uh oh. Looks like a long walk of shame home. Wait til the wifey finds out! What are you going to tow the Bennington with? o_O

Back in the early 80's my father in law told us many stories of what they used to do on their Rhode Island lake growing up in the winter time. Playing hockey, ice fishing, or just driving their cars on it. We used to think how can the ice support a 2-3000 lb. car??? He must be full of crap! One year it was so cold the ice was at least 18 inches thick. I wanted to drive on the lake but I didn't want to take my car, a souped up '73 VW Beetle. My future sister in law wanted to go but she didn't want to take her new Toyota Celeca. My future wife was like ....Hell No you guys are crazy, I'm not going! So my future sister in law and I took her car, a Datsun B210 Honey Bee. (Remember those?) Anyway we had a Blast! There was a thin crust of snow on it that gave us just enough traction. We drove her car all over that lake not giving a second thought of what could happen to us. Sometimes you don't think things through when you are young. That was an experience we will never forget .....2 weeks later a guy doing the same thing we did broke through the ice and almost drowned........

Great story! Out here in Portland the winters rarely get cold enough to start to form much ice on rivers. The cold east wind with an arctic front does funnel down the Columbia river gorge and can add a lot of ice to Multnomah Falls which looks super cool. The east side of Mt Hood gets much colder. I remember a "Dirty Jobs" years ago where Mike Rowe went along with a tow company that retrieves the vehicles from the bottom of frozen lakes with a custom built long steel frame after lift air bags get it near surface. Probably on demand on cable :cool: Apparently in late 1890's and early 1900's there are pictures of Willamette did freeze and cars were on it. (They weighed a lot less) What climate change? Also less dams controlling flow

Jack - You're one lucky guy. Adult life too. I've seen your pics.

In my friend group, "ice fishing" is code for drinking beer all day. I'm all for drinking beer all day and having a good time, just drop me off at the nearest bar before you drive your truck out in the lake. I'll make some new friends at the bar.

I prefer warm soft lake water and a boat...

Last edited:
Jack - You're one lucky guy. Adult life too. I've seen you're pics.

In my friend group, "ice fishing" is code for drinking beer all day. I'm all for drinking beer all day and having a good time, just drop me off at the nearest bar before you drive your truck out in the lake. I'll make some new friends at the bar.

I prefer warm soft lake water and a boat...
I think you have the wrong person .I dont go on the ice and dont have a truck .

I think you have the wrong person .I dont go on the ice and dont have a truck .
Ha ha! You fell in many years ago fishing with your Dad. Remember??? You were lucky.

I used to go with my Dad .Many years ago , we were on Lake Erie ,I got cold and went back to the car .Some ******** moved his shanty and did not mark it , the water had froze some and the blowing snow covered it . Of course I fell through ,fortunately it wasn't that far from shore .Never been out since and no plans to .
We'll chalk that up as a senior moment...

The pics of your place and dock...

Okay, maybe I do have you confused with someone else on that part. Senior moment on me!

I do not remember 1966 personally....

Back