Iceberg Canyon Flash Flood

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I mentioned this over in the thread on getting my enclosure made, but now I have the video done so I thought I'd share it here. This was shot at our campsite at Lake Powell on Saturday afternoon. We had been getting some good storms already but it was mostly on and off. Each time we'd get waterfalls shooting off all around but the actual canyon didn't flash. Well that changed in a big way on Saturday. I had just hiked the whole canyon with friends and just barely made it back to my wife watching the boat right before it struck. That could have been really bad! Not only did it flash, but it plugged the canyon with icebergs made of hail. And yes, the canyon is actually called Iceberg Canyon on the maps! We wanted to go cruise around that night and see all the waterfalls but we couldn't get out of our campsite because of a foot of ice spread wall to wall in the canyon. The video is a bit long at 6 minutes, but hang on until the end. 

https://youtu.be/5cFlfb2iMi0

Some other boaters got hit by the same storm and lost at least one of their boats: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=35007255&nid=148&title=boat-submerged-by-flash-flooding-at-lake-powell&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

EDIT: Looks like the video didn't embed, so here's a teaser pic:

iceberg-flood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Great video! What was the temp?!? The ice lasted a while......

Cool video. Amazing footage! What did you do before you had the Bennington????????

Stunning.

Wow! Great video! What was the temp?!? The ice lasted a while......

It was in the high 70's or 80's most of the trip. That day was so hot and humid from storms that I was sweating like a dog on the hike right before it hit. Low's around 60 at night. It was really interesting to see the water temp dive after the flood. It was usually between 70-75˚ but after this came through it went down to 34˚. And that was with no ice near the back of the boat. The iceberg field in the canyon was still really thick as it got dark. I imagine it took at least 10 hours or more to melt. And then getting through all of the trees and debris in the morning was wild! I had to jump in and push trees out of the way and when I pulled the motor out to clear the prop it had so much crap hanging from it. And then it was log slalom as we motored around the lake all day. 

Cool video. Amazing footage! What did you do before you had the Bennington????????
I stayed home when the forecast looked like that! 

Awesome video and thanks for sharing. It seems mama nature could care less about your high power pontoon boat with all that technology. Glad to hear your crew and the boat came out safely.

Awesome video. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature. B)

Cheers, Steve

Amazing !! The amount of ice is unbelievable.

Great video.  Looks like the enclosure worked well.   

That is incredible!! Looks like your crew enjoyed it a little more than those other people on the news. I can't even imagine being out in that, so thanks for sharing!!

Wow bcpnick, great videos.  The power of that water and mud is amazing

Incredible! Never saw that kind of flash flood video before. Glad you were all safe.

Saw this on Ebay.  Probably the same storm Nick went through.   

I am selling my Totaled 2013 Premier 260 Grand Entertainer with 56.8 hours on the boat and motor that I paid almost $65000.00 for. I purchased the boat last June and in June of this year we got caught in a bad storm on Lake Powell that repeatedly pushed the boat against the canyon wall causing cosmetic damage to the boat, Most of the damage is on the port side and the damaged items are as follows; The top back of the front couch rubbed against the rocks causing the fabric to rip as did the mid ship captains chair, the side walls from front to rear were pushed in, scraped and dented, the gunner rail has rub marks and the corner covers are torn. the pontoon has a small dent on the end that did not effect the integrity of the tube and is above the waterline. The bar took the worst beating, the bar was moved over about 4 inches, the refrigerator fell out of the cabinet, the drawers will not stay shut and the fiberglass broke in several places, the cabana bar top has minimal damage and could be fixed pretty easily. the Bimini frame was bent beyond repair and the fabric was torn and the rail on the starboard side has minor damage where the Bimini attached.

For only $19.95................

Back