If Someone Would Talk My Wife Into It.......

BigD

Reaction score
....I would order a 23 foot L-Series Bowrider this week. Firecracker with black accent stripe, swingback, power bimini, Mercury Verado 250, and all the bells and whistles. I don't care what it cost. That thing is just so beautiful to me. I just can't help it. Lol. Anyone else got such a disease ? Actually, the wife has decided she wants a toon, a battle I thought I would never win, but that price causes her great pause. She's more into the under $50k stuff. Lol

....I would order a 23 foot L-Series Bowrider this week. Firecracker with black accent stripe, swingback, power bimini, Mercury Verado 250, and all the bells and whistles. I don't care what it cost. That thing is just so beautiful to me. I just can't help it. Lol. Anyone else got such a disease ? Actually, the wife has decided she wants a toon, a battle I thought I would never win, but that price causes her great pause. She's more into the under $50k stuff. Lol
Well, there are pontoon boats under 50k so long as all you need to do is get on the water. Being on the water regardless of overall boat is better than not being on the water.

That said, it is surprising how little you get for even 50k these days. Just crazy how expensive they are. To have a well appointed entry level pontoon is an easy 60k or more. And forget about it if your looking at something as awesome as you are talking about above.

Yep. Entry level has gone from about 30k to 50k now. Makes me sick. A "luxury" toon of most any kind is 100k plus. I could see this coming a year ago or more. Kicking myself for not ordering then.

I used to think they were sexy as heck from a distance, but crawling around one in person changed my mind a little. Like the time years ago when my wife and I rented a mid 2000's Ford Thunderbird for a week-long vacation across the Southwest. The excitement came to a screeching halt when we popped the trunk and realized it couldnt fit our luggage. The next 1000 miles was full of back pain as the only other place to stow the Samsonite was behind the driver and passenger seats but then couldnt recline them.

But man did we look cool! :cool:

Play the game! Tell her she is right to much money and you decided not to get the Bowrider. Walk away give it time!

It was my wifes idea for our last upgrade .:cool:

Depends what approach you want to take with your argument. Emotional, logical, ect... As BigKahuna said “Bought our Benny in 2008. Sold it in 2020 for $500 more than we paid for it. Bennington's definitely hold their value!!!” If you buy now they hold their value and you get the 10 year warranty.
I took a look at the used market but out here the only way to save money was to go 5-10 years old and then you get carpet and the features someone else picked. New you can customize! Even used it was still 50,000+.
Also as we know price only goes up. I priced out my build last spring and it was mid-60’s. Ordered my boat this fall it was low 70’s. Keep in mind the dealer makes a big difference on price. I got quotes for my exact same build from 70,000 to 89,000 from a few different dealers as their “selling price”. Crazy! I would think for a “L” Bowrider mid 60’s to low 70’s should be reasonable...

Good luck!

Depends what approach you want to take with your argument. Emotional, logical, ect... As BigKahuna said “Bought our Benny in 2008. Sold it in 2020 for $500 more than we paid for it. Bennington's definitely hold their value!!!” If you buy now they hold their value and you get the 10 year warranty.
I took a look at the used market but out here the only way to save money was to go 5-10 years old and then you get carpet and the features someone else picked. New you can customize! Even used it was still 50,000+.
Also as we know price only goes up. I priced out my build last spring and it was mid-60’s. Ordered my boat this fall it was low 70’s. Keep in mind the dealer makes a big difference on price. I got quotes for my exact same build from 70,000 to 89,000 from a few different dealers as their “selling price”. Crazy! I would think for a “L” Bowrider mid 60’s to low 70’s should be reasonable...

Good luck!
Lol. An L Bowrider is 60k stock with no motor MSRP. What we think ain't what they think.

I would also be pessimistic about boats appreciating if bought at today's prices. Bought several years ago no doubt. Kind of like my 72 Chevy Nova I gave 1800 for, kept it 5 years and sold it for about 8k. That was cars time for price to go through the roof. This may be that time for toons.

My MSRP was about 101 and I got it for 70. Again, depends on dealer and location. I custom ordered new with all the options I wanted.
Exactly, I wonder if you can still order and pay 70-74% of MSRP anymore like we did???

I ordered mine October 24 and if they are on schedule my build date is tomorrow! Feels like forever but wasn’t that long ago...
I’m excited to see pictures!! Congratulations!

Well, there are pontoon boats under 50k so long as all you need to do is get on the water. Being on the water regardless of overall boat is better than not being on the water.

That said, it is surprising how little you get for even 50k these days. Just crazy how expensive they are. To have a well appointed entry level pontoon is an easy 60k or more. And forget about it if your looking at something as awesome as you are talking about above.

Having just ordered a well appointed L series back in September, I can attest to this!

Question for you all that has been eating at me a bit since going through the build process an ordering - in reality, the markup has to be huge on pontoons considering the materials and components required to make one, right? Since sending in my deposit check in September, I've spent too much time attempting to add up the materials that go into making a pontoon (plywood, toons, vinyl, aluminum, wiring, motor, etc.) and never arrive at even a fraction of the MSRP.

I'm already at a point where I'm getting past this and will just go enjoy the boat (will be easier when it arrives and I'm the water) but would be curious to know what it costs Bennington, or any manufacturer, to actually make a decent entry level pontoon boat these days.

For a company there is much more to the cost then just the materials, food for thought.

Back