Ignition Housing Question

rneydl

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the external cover from the ignition switch housing on a 2010 Bennington 2050 GL?  By the external cover I mean the piece that surrounds the keyhole and has the Bennington logo and "Start", "Run", etc. printed on it.

I'm not sure how this happened, but the first time I went to use my Bennington this season, I found that the ignition switch was not in the housing.  I crawled under the console and found the ignition switch, still attached to the wiring harness.  I unscrewed the threaded plastic sleeve that holds the housing to the console and removed the housing.  When I look at the housing, I can see the threaded nut inside that holds the switch in the housing.  However, I can't figure out how to remove the external cover on the housing that will allow me to access the threaded nut. 

It appears that the proper assembly procedure is to mount the housing to the console, slide the ignition switch into the housing (from behind the console), spin the nut onto the switch (from outside the console), and then attach the cover to the housing.  However, to do this I need to remove the cover from the housing.  Does anyone know how to do this without damaging it?  Thanks in advance!

I would call your dealers' service dept and see if they can help you.

Does anyone know how to remove the external cover from the ignition switch housing on a 2010 Bennington 2050 GL? By the external cover I mean the piece that surrounds the keyhole and has the Bennington logo and "Start", "Run", etc. printed on it.

I'm not sure how this happened, but the first time I went to use my Bennington this season, I found that the ignition switch was not in the housing. I crawled under the console and found the ignition switch, still attached to the wiring harness. I unscrewed the threaded plastic sleeve that holds the housing to the console and removed the housing. When I look at the housing, I can see the threaded nut inside that holds the switch in the housing. However, I can't figure out how to remove the external cover on the housing that will allow me to access the threaded nut.

It appears that the proper assembly procedure is to mount the housing to the console, slide the ignition switch into the housing (from behind the console), spin the nut onto the switch (from outside the console), and then attach the cover to the housing. However, to do this I need to remove the cover from the housing. Does anyone know how to do this without damaging it? Thanks in advance!

I
Does anyone know how to remove the external cover from the ignition switch housing on a 2010 Bennington 2050 GL? By the external cover I mean the piece that surrounds the keyhole and has the Bennington logo and "Start", "Run", etc. printed on it.

I'm not sure how this happened, but the first time I went to use my Bennington this season, I found that the ignition switch was not in the housing. I crawled under the console and found the ignition switch, still attached to the wiring harness. I unscrewed the threaded plastic sleeve that holds the housing to the console and removed the housing. When I look at the housing, I can see the threaded nut inside that holds the switch in the housing. However, I can't figure out how to remove the external cover on the housing that will allow me to access the threaded nut.

It appears that the proper assembly procedure is to mount the housing to the console, slide the ignition switch into the housing (from behind the console), spin the nut onto the switch (from outside the console), and then attach the cover to the housing. However, to do this I need to remove the cover from the housing. Does anyone know how to do this without damaging it? Thanks in advance!

I have this same issue. How did you resolve yours?

Shud just pop off. My ignition also fell out and fell into console while on water. Had to pop the outer ring off with a flathead screw driver. Once off was able to tighten nut that holds the ignition.

I have the same issue with my ignition switch.............were you able to get that cover off with a screwdriver?

Back