I'm on board for some of you guys to do this (pardon the pun)

We just had a company that started advertising for boat rentals in Saratoga Lake.  It mentioned signing up via the web in time slots as the article above mentioned.  It also mentioned that there would be lock boxes on the boat to access keys.  Although I wouldn't be agreeable to renting my boat out I was curious to the point that I did request additional information. :ph34r:  

Hey I can use emotions now :D

My boat isn't as expensive as some of you guys, but no one is going to use mine unless they steal it. Many folks just don't take care of other people's property. Sure, there are deposits for damage, but then I don't want to spend time, tears, and money repairing damage that others did.

:angry:   I can too, Link!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was more like Uber. Where you would be the Captain, and provide a relaxing booze cruise for random people.

I thought this was more like Uber. Where you would be the Captain, and provide a relaxing booze cruise for random people.

That was my impression of it also. 

Enjoying the new look of the Forum

Had to reset my password for access but well worth it 

Posting Videos Works Again 

Thank You Bennington Tech Support :)

Ohhhh Yea 

I Am Very Happy 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking Uber too.

I'm certain my insurance policy does not cover use for commercial purposes. 

We just had a company that started advertising for boat rentals in Saratoga Lake.  It mentioned signing up via the web in time slots as the article above mentioned.  It also mentioned that there would be lock boxes on the boat to access keys.  Although I wouldn't be agreeable to renting my boat out I was curious to the point that I did request additional information. :ph34r:  

Is it Freedom Boat club?  I know they are pretty popular and my friends marina here on Lake Wallenpaupack is going to be starting it up this season.

I just read an article in National Underwriter that talks about the insurable risks associated with these boat sharing apps such as Boatbound, Boat setter or Cruzin. The marketplace is responding and BoatUS introduced a peer-to-peer boat rental policy August 2015. With this Uber like service mentioned above that is more of a boat at your own risk, or purchase a commercial water taxi policy $$$$$$.

Good advice Lakeliving

I would not charge them for riding on my boat. I'd be charging for my comedic services. Sort of like selling a rubber band which includes a free set of tickets.

On our lake there is no way I'd rent my boat out to somebody......especially someone not familiar with the lake and all the shallow (some spots less than 2 foot) and submersed things to hit (stump areas).  We have a marina that rents boats every day and you can get one there.....destroy their boats and not mine.

If it was to give people a ride (like uber) then maybe but I'd have to check with the insurance company to make sure that I was covered in case of an accident while on my boat.  And I think if you are giving rides for cash then you must have a current and valid captains license as well.

Maybe if you were only giving the little old ladies from church group a ride and only accepted a small donation and not actually charged them it might be different.  Like Rockie said charge them for comedy night out on the lake and the boat ride was thrown in for free.

Back