In-Hull (center tube storage) transducer mounting

PDX Hosedragger

Reaction score
The Echo 100 Sonar isn't quite as robust as I had hoped it might be, so I am going to replace it next year. My question is, has anyone put an in-hull transducer in their center tube storage compartment? It would make the wire run shorter and puts it in a great location. Anybody? Buehler?

I'm looking at this one potentially: http://store.humminbird.com/products/604309/386ci_Combo

It mounts either on the transom or In-hull.

Install instructions state for single thickness FIBERGLASS through hull mounting. I don't think it will work thru aluminum. It might, but sonar signal would be questionable, and you won't get temp. reading either.

PDXHosedrahher, placing a black and white fishfinder on a 50k boat is ridiculous. The upgrade is Garmin's 431s, a GPS model with a 4' screen. I had my accomadating dealer, Point Breeze Marina, put in the 531s so I didn't have to put my glasses on every time I wanted to see the depth numbers. It is a chartplotter, having GPS, fishfinder or split screens showing both. I then purchased the Garmin Lakes Vision SD Card at West Marine for additional data [don't have much use for Mariner eye or Fish eye though]. The 531s barely fit on the recessed area of my R series dash - there is a picture of this in my gallery pix.

Prices: 531s = $599 + 3 hours labor to install. Lakes Vision card = was eiher $99 or $129 [cant remnember]

Last edited by a moderator:
PDXHosedrahher, placing a black and white fishfinder on a 50k boat is ridiculous. The upgrade is Garmin's 431s, a GPS model with a 4' screen. I had my accomadating dealer, Point Breeze Marina, put in the 531s so I didn't have to put my glasses on every time I wanted to see the depth numbers. It is a chartplotter, having GPS, fishfinder or split screens showing both. I then purchased the Garmin Lakes Vision SD Card at West Marine for additional data [don't have much use for Mariner eye or Fish eye though]. The 531s barely fit on the recessed area of my R series dash - there is a picture of this in my gallery pix.

Prices: 531s = $599 + 3 hours labor to install. Lakes Vision card = was eiher $99 or $129 [cant remnember]
Dang, 4 foot screen is huge !!!!! :lol:

Dang, 4 foot screen is huge !!!!! :lol:
Betcha he has Superbowl parties on it! It also can show the fish in actual size in sonar mode! Haha I could keep them going allnight! Nice catch Smitty!

Derrick

(all in good fun Link ;) )

Always taken as fun guys :)

If you already have the 100, you do not have to run a new transducer wire, they use the same one if you use the commonly used Garmin GPS map series or fishfinder series. Just upgraded my 95 fishfinder to a 431s gps unit. Way more than I need, but hey its pretty and color too.

PS: Transducers will not work thru a metal hull. Some of them even have trouble with thick fiberglass ones, or ones with alot of air in the matting.

The Echo 100 Sonar isn't quite as robust as I had hoped it might be, so I am going to replace it next year. My question is, has anyone put an in-hull transducer in their center tube storage compartment? It would make the wire run shorter and puts it in a great location. Anybody? Buehler?

I'm looking at this one potentially: http://store.humminbird.com/products/604309/386ci_Combo

It mounts either on the transom or In-hull.

Back