Indoor Winter Storage Brighton MI area

Spar-Toon

Reaction score
Zukey - Portage Chain Of Lakes Hamburg MI
Just wondering what the folks around the Brighton MI area do for winter storage.   Any indoor storage areas that you can point me too?  

I used to store a camper and car at a place off Latson Road in Howell, just south of I-96. They were the greenhouses for Meier nursery/flower shop on Grand River just north of 96. Haven't used them for a while but you might ask at Meier for Mike - the owner (or call). The greenhouses were behind his house. They were quite reasonable at the time. Stored inside the greenhouses for the winter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to keep mine in the inlaws hangar but they sold that place last month. It will be shrinkwrapped and kept under the car port this winter.......Not too happy about it. I know Wilson is doing a big addition which should be started soon so they will probably be the best bet. Or wonderland.

I didn't mention it before but I hope obviously Meier did store a lot of boats in the greenhouses too - mine is not in the area though.  

I am getting a quote from Wilson.  They are currently "Taking reservations" as the fill up each year.  I don't think the new expansion will be available this winter.

I am trying to decide if I want to pat the extra $200 to store inside (unheated) or just wrap and store outside.

Edit: the difference comes to ~$100 more to store indoors.

My Glastron I had wrapped, but I was able to take most of the cushions and carpet out beforehand.

When stored indoors, do you just use the mooring cover?  I assume that 'should' be sufficient to keep the dust and dirt outside the boat.  Then a wash & protect on it in the spring.

When I stored mine in the hangar it was clean so I just used the playpen cover. Now that it will be under the car port I am trying to figure out what I should remove as well. I think I am going to remove the bimini top (fabric not frame) but am not sure about other preventative measures. Anybody have tips?

Dryer Sheets & Moth Balls 

+1 on mothballs and dryer sheets. I store ours outdoors shrink wrapped and only issue I had was the winter I didn't think to take off the Bimini fabric or stuff mothballs into the Bimini cover itself. 

Moth balls smell nasty so is it easy to get rid of that smell come spring? I've used dryer sheets for the past couple years but it was stored indoors so it wasn't a big deal.

Our boat sits on the lift all year long.But from Dec-April all the stuff is removed from the boat,including the batteries.I put the individual seat covers on and the put the full cover on the boat. I've been doing this for the last two winters and it has worked great. I believe you would be fine with the cover being your under a roof.The snow shouldn't build up and weigh the cover down.Never really been that impressed by shrink wrap. Seen snow tear the wrap when it gets really cold.

When I stored mine in the hangar it was clean so I just used the playpen cover. Now that it will be under the car port I am trying to figure out what I should remove as well. I think I am going to remove the bimini top (fabric not frame) but am not sure about other preventative measures. Anybody have tips?

Moth balls smell nasty so is it easy to get rid of that smell come spring? I've used dryer sheets for the past couple years but it was stored indoors so it wasn't a big deal.

I put them in shallow open boxes several places around the boat as well as in seats which I leave open. There is an odor (which is part of the deterrent) but it goes away quickly once I uncover it to set up in the spring. 

I put them in shallow open boxes several places around the boat as well as in seats which I leave open. There is an odor (which is part of the deterrent) but it goes away quickly once I uncover it to set up in the spring. 

That's been our experience too. We put them in mesh bags, removing in the spring, with the shrink wrap and all is good within a day or so. Open all the seats up, floor storage, etc, to let it breathe over the winter. Don't leave anything, including loose cushions, inside the boat. Our local shrink wrap guy does a great job, putting in proper supports, vents, and reinforcements where needed, though we store the Benny inside now.

That's what makes them so effective! Smells like crap! So the critters stay away! Once you take the cover off the smell dissipates........In addition to moth balls and dryer sheets I also put a few canisters of Damp Dry to suck up any moisture that gets under the cover.....

I also use the damp rid .Place the container  in a plastic coffee can 

512YY3AJdCL.jpg

Never had a smell problem .I put them in when it is picked up ,dealer cleans them out in the spring .

I do use the damp rid also.  Never had a problem with it but I do set it in a plastic dish pan just in case. 

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to stock up. One more question for the shrink wrappers. Does the playpen cover stay on or come off?

Back