Inexpensive handheld VHF radio recommendations?

ImTinkerbella

Reaction score
I am looking for marine-related items to put under the tree for my husband for Christmas.

I'm still unclear from the head-spinning discussions on VHF radio reviews whether or not a license is required. My conjecture (and it is just that) is that only certain bands require a license?

We would primarily need it for contacting the lock operator when traveling up (or down) the upper Mississippi River, (or for emergencies).

Any recommendations for a reasonably-priced handheld? Also, clarification on the license requirement?

Winter has not officially set in yet here, but it sure feels like it has. I cannot WAIT to pull the toon out of winter storage and put it in the water next year. It's going to be a LONG wait, I think... :eek:

Thanks in advance for those of you who are still around this time of year...

I've got two, a Cobra HH350 and a Standard Horizon HX851. Both are great radios that float. I like the Standard Horizon a bit better because it's larger and fits in my hand better. You do not need a license for Marine VHF. You'd need a license if you were operating Marine SSB (Single Sideband).

Winter has not officially set in yet here, but it sure feels like it has. I cannot WAIT to pull the toon out of winter storage and put it in the water next year. It's going to be a LONG wait, I think... :eek:
Tink, next year make some videos and then play/stream them to the TV in the winter, we got a 60" in the basement and it helps ease the pain.

I might “hint” about this one to my wife. Thanks for the recommendation Adk and Jack.

Back