Inexpensive Refueling Options

joeldp144

Reaction score
Real simple, but looking for creativity.  I keep my 2011 24 SLi in a slip on our lake, and it pains me to buy marina fuel when I pass an ethanol free gas station 2 min from my slip.  

What do do you guys use to get "cheap" fuel out to your boats?  My marina spot is a couple hundred feet from my parking spot, so I'm trying to figure out ways to get it out to the boat.  

Yes, I have a 5 gallon jug that I can lug (and will do until I think of something better). 

Bring on the genius!

PS:  We love our boat!

I understand that buying gasoline is a negative buying experience. It's invisible, it doesn't give me any pleasure.  I owned multiple Shell locations for 30 years.     

Time to get real.  You might save $100 in a year lugging and screwing with refilling.  This is a luxury that we get to do with our friends and family.  Stop mind f++++ the price of gas. 

My rant is over. 

The first year we used 5 gallon cans on busy holiday weekends when we didn't want to spend an hour in line for fuel.  A flo-n-go handle (looks like a gas pump) that thread in the gas can worked like a charm but as a downfall it is gravity feed not pumped so it has to be higher than the fill.  Thought about getting a 14 gallon dolly but by the time I drive my truck to the lake so that I can haul that fuel dolly it was a wash on price.  Roughly 150 for the fuel dolly and the truck fuel mileage at 15 instead of 30 for my focus or 25 for the wife's rdx that we normally take to the lake it was cheaper to just buy the fuel at the docks and be done with it.

14 Gallon fuel caddy for $91.00

Flo-n-Go handle for a 5 gallon can.....$38.00

Both of those require gravity feed to flow the fuel from the can into your boat.   So if your dock isn't higher than your filler neck on the boat you'll be hand pumping or getting real creative on how to get that portable tank higher than your boats fill.  I tried to hand pump with the flo-n-go from the 5 gallon can once (notice I say once) into my lawnmower at home.  Took forever and I finally gave up and put the gas can on the back of the seat and let it gravity flow.  Even with a good gravity flow it still takes a good 3-4 minutes to empty a 5 gallon can.....seems like forever when you have to hold the handle down to let the fuel flow.

My take on a fuel caddy.............................you have to lift it. I have (4) 5 gallon cans that I put in a wagon and bring to the dock and use a super siphon. Granted I live on the lake and the boat is out front but it's much easier.                 

I understand that buying gasoline is a negative buying experience. It's invisible, it doesn't give me any pleasure.  I owned multiple Shell locations for 30 years.     

Time to get real.  You might save $100 in a year lugging and screwing with refilling.  This is a luxury that we get to do with our friends and family.  Stop mind f++++ the price of gas. 

My rant is over. 

Ha!  Ironically, I work for an oil company that owns refineries and produces gasoline.  I have no issue with fuel cost.  In fact, I prefer a rising market (crude and gasoline) as it benefits my business and personal life.  What I don't like is spending $1.50 more per gallon (as of this weekend) to refuel on the water when I can literally see the on shore gas station that is right by my slip (from my marina fueling station.  That's called the free market.....innovation prevails.  Also, the waits can be horrendous.  I value time on the water with my family more than sitting to watch others refuel.

Secondly, if you're only spending $100/year, then you either have much more competitive water options (did I mention mine is $1.50/gallon more), or you don't use your boat enough.  I've spent $50 more in the past month alone, and it's been cold.  If I can easily get a jug out there and save even just $10/trip, then I can use that money to spend more time with my family.  You do you.  Thanks to all of the others for constructive feedback.

5 gallon race can with tube. I can still heave it up. Maybe a minute I'm done. Now I probably do this less often then u guys with real motors. Maybe once a weekend. Max every other. 

Ha!  Ironically, I work for an oil company that owns refineries and produces gasoline.  I have no issue with fuel cost.  In fact, I prefer a rising market (crude and gasoline) as it benefits my business and personal life.  What I don't like is spending $1.50 more per gallon (as of this weekend) to refuel on the water when I can literally see the on shore gas station that is right by my slip (from my marina fueling station.  That's called the free market.....innovation prevails.  Also, the waits can be horrendous.  I value time on the water with my family more than sitting to watch others refuel.

Secondly, if you're only spending $100/year, then you either have much more competitive water options (did I mention mine is $1.50/gallon more), or you don't use your boat enough.  I've spent $50 more in the past month alone, and it's been cold.  If I can easily get a jug out there and save even just $10/trip, then I can use that money to spend more time with my family.  You do you.  Thanks to all of the others for constructive feedback.

Non competition is not the only factor. Marinas insurance rates are out of site if they sell fuel. Not to mention all the regs that must be followed in order to be permitted for the gas sales on the water. And of coarse,there's those oil companies that make a fortune so they can pay there employees. Just so they can go out and buy a Bennington. Boy,life really is a big old circle! Just my opinion. Geesh

Non competition is not the only factor. Marinas insurance rates are out of site if they sell fuel. Not to mention all the regs that must be followed in order to be permitted for the gas sales on the water. And of coarse,there's those oil companies that make a fortune so they can pay there employees. Just so they can go out and buy a Bennington. Boy,life really is a big old circle! Just my opinion. Geesh

Yep, free market and capitalism works all ways. 

Thanks! First and foremost, use it!!! The more you use it the more you will enjoy it. Understand that boating can be expensive,but it's all relative. I have not taken a "vacation" away from home since 2008 when I got promoted, but almost every weekend during the summer, plus every 3 day holiday weekend (that turns into 5) we have mini-vacations on the boat. So in reality, I take around 70 plus "vacation" days. I figure I use to have at least $1000 bucks wrapped up in 5 days at Myrtle Beach. Someday I'll retire there, but for now, this de-stresses me so I can live long enough to do that.   :D

How about a loooong hose from that gas station 2 minutes away??   ;)

added : trailer??  take it out every 2-3 weeks and drive to that close gas station

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! First and foremost, use it!!! The more you use it the more you will enjoy it. Understand that boating can be expensive,but it's all relative. I have not taken a "vacation" away from home since 2008 when I got promoted, but almost every weekend during the summer, plus every 3 day holiday weekend (that turns into 5) we have mini-vacations on the boat. So in reality, I take around 70 plus "vacation" days. I figure I use to have at least $1000 bucks wrapped up in 5 days at Myrtle Beach. Someday I'll retire there, but for now, this de-stresses me so I can live long enough to do that.   :D

And you use how much fuel in this period of time?  :p

And you use how much fuel in this period of time?  :p

I would guess a little less than you .....  :lol:

I bet $200/season?/

During the week I take her out, maybe 10 minutes from the house, and drift reading a good book and/or talking on ham radio. I top her off  maybe once a week with a five gallon can.  When the grands are here, they all live out of state unfortunately, I fill up on the lake.

Back