Installed a Lowrance-4 on my 20SF

mng8r

Reaction score
Last weekend I installed a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI on my 2013 20SF. I wasn't really sure how I wanted to mount it and searched through the forums for ideas. I kind of combined a couple. I kind of struggled with the idea of drilling a hole in the console for the cabling and mount, but couldn't find an area on the rail that would work with the cover without having to remove a mount after every use. The final set up works for me, but may not work for a larger model.

The items I needed were:

• Ram mount RAM-B-101-LO11
  • Ram suction cup base RAM-B-224-1U
  • Lowrance transducer extension cable 000-0099-94
  • crimp-on bullet connectors
  • crimp-on butt splice
Before I put the boat in the water this spring, I had mounted the transducer bracket. I started by fishing the transducer cable along the top of the port pontoon. I soon found out that the transducer cable is 20 feet long which means it just makes it through the hole in the floor under the console. If it was 25 feet, it would have been perfect. I connected the extension cable and ran ~4 feet of cable through the opening on the starboard side of the helm.

For the wiring, I found that under the console there was a pair of bullet connectors - one hot and one ground. I'm thinking those are the ones that are labeled "For customer use" on the schematic. I found that the hot (red) is unswitched and thus always hot. I used the butt splice to connect the 12v wire of the Lowrance power cable to one side of the Lowrance supplied fuse holder. I then crimped a male bullet connect to the other side of the fuse holder. A female bullet connector was crimped to the black negative Lowrance power cable. I then ran the cable through the opening on the starboard side of the helm.

I attached the Lowrance unit to the Ram mount bracket and secured the suction cup base to the front of the helm. The suction cup seems to be plenty strong for the angle at which the unit is held and the relatively calm water that I expect to use it in. The single suction cup may not be strong enough for bigger units, but they do make double suction cup mounts.

Pictures:

View from the driver seat (sorry for the contrast a storm was moving in)

Side view

Under helm wiring view

Nice clean looking job

Back