Installed powered sub today

Renegade34

Reaction score
B3D21827-E010-44AA-9E14-0EF11D1D4082.jpeg 573502CE-ECEC-4CC7-95E0-0439A0240935.jpeg I installed a Rockford Fosgate PS300-12 powered sub today. It couldn’t have went any better. It’s so easy with the swingback as there’s tons of room under the huge lounger. The best part is that the batteries are right there for power and I have the stern speakers so I was able to steal signal from them. Plus with this sub you don’t even need a remote wire from the head unit so there’s no wires to run at all. Everything you need is right at the back. Super simple and sounds great!

Ohhh....audio stuff. When I read the topic in new posts couldn't wait to open

Renegade34, thanks for sharing! I'd like to beef up my system but the fact that it goes straight from rack storage to a boat slip for the season kind of put a damper on that dream. Fishing wires through the underskinning while in the water doesn't really appeal to me, but your approach gives me hope.

So, the fact that the sub is totally enclosed under the swingback doesn't have an effect on how it sounds? Did you have to splice into both stern speakers or just one? Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm fairly clueless on how this stuff really works.

No, doesn’t matter if it’s enclosed as low frequencies, like bass, travel through objects. Just like most subwoofers are installed in the trunk of a car.
If doing a single sub you only need to tie into one speaker as it’s mono (no left and right).
All you need for this one is a power, ground and signal from a speaker. Some powered subs may not have the auto on feature (turns built in amp on and off when it detects signal in speaker wire) so be aware.

Wow, that sounds too simple, even for me. Thanks for the heads-up on the auto-on feature. Depending on whether it'll fit under my rear lounger, I think I'd just go with what you did.

I think it’s 15” standing up. If you lay it down like I did it’s 11.5” high. There is a 10” version as well which is a bit smaller. The amps power ratings are the same on both though.
The best deal I found was on eBay at $199 (for the 12”). It also comes with a wired remote. It was rated top powered sub on a lot of comparison reviews. I actually might order another one for our suv since it sounds so good and is so easy to install. Really good bang for the buck too!

Personally, I'll go for the larger of the two but that will depend on how much room I have under my port stern lounger. Was hoping to scope it out this weekend (boat still in storage) but it looks like mother nature is not going to cooperate. :(

View attachment 22512 View attachment 22513 I installed a Rockford Fosgate PS300-12 powered sub today. It couldn’t have went any better. It’s so easy with the swingback as there’s tons of room under the huge lounger. The best part is that the batteries are right there for power and I have the stern speakers so I was able to steal signal from them. Plus with this sub you don’t even need a remote wire from the head unit so there’s no wires to run at all. Everything you need is right at the back. Super simple and sounds great!
How does the sub hold up to the elements? People getting out of the water and sitting directly above the sub while wet? Any issues?

Aslo how does she sound?

It’s pretty well protected from the elements and the amp and electronics are inside the box so can’t get wet. It’s pretty weather proof. I wouldn’t leave it totally exposed to rain or something but under a seat I wouldn’t worry about at all.
It sounds great. I only have the gain turned up about 1/3 of the way and it adds plenty of bass. It also comes with a wired remote to fine tune the output.

I was all ready to pull the trigger until last weekend when we finally got the boat out of storage. Lifted up the port rear lounger only to find there is no room for anything, unlike the starboard side which is wide open. Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed...

That’s unfortunate. Hopefully you can find somewhere else to put it. The 10” version is slightly smaller physically and I’m sure sounds great as well if space is tight.

I do have the "midship bar" directly in front of the stern lounger that might work. I'll have to investigate a bit closer next time I'm on the boat, but the first problem I see is that it's not entirely closed off by the fencing so it would probably have to be mounted an inch or two above the floor to avoid the chance of getting wet. Not very optimistic...

It’s pretty well protected from the elements and the amp and electronics are inside the box so can’t get wet. It’s pretty weather proof. I wouldn’t leave it totally exposed to rain or something but under a seat I wouldn’t worry about at all.
It sounds great. I only have the gain turned up about 1/3 of the way and it adds plenty of bass. It also comes with a wired remote to fine tune the output.
NICE!!! I found them on amazon for $199. I think i'm going to add it to my whip!

You won’t be disappointed!

I do have the "midship bar" directly in front of the stern lounger that might work. I'll have to investigate a bit closer next time I'm on the boat, but the first problem I see is that it's not entirely closed off by the fencing so it would probably have to be mounted an inch or two above the floor to avoid the chance of getting wet. Not very optimistic...

You could put 1” spacers under the front of the box and have it down firing. That would ensure it keeps dry plus will sound better as well.

You could put 1” spacers under the front of the box and have it down firing. That would ensure it keeps dry plus will sound better as well.
thats a good idea. I Think I'll install it that way!

Renegade34, does it come with mounting brackets that would allow that or would I need to come up with something myself?

Wow, I nearly ordered that same sub today off Amazon! First time I read this thread. Mine would have to go under the helm. Glad you like it!

Last edited:
It didn’t come with any mounting brackets. It came with some crappy Velcro strip.
I thought about taking the sub out and then screwing through the enclosure and into the floor (for a cleaner install and more theft resistant) but decided to go with external brackets that I had laying around so I can remove it quicker as I might use it in our suv in the winter.

I placed the order. It's on the truck and should be here tomorrow!

Back