Installed powered sub today

Daniel, where did you order the wiring from?

Amazon, you purchase an 8 AWG amp wiring kit, like 18 bucks. You get wire and all the other jazz including fuse and RCA cables. The kit I was looking at comes with a 50A fuse. Seems big to me, the sub has two 30A fuses built in it. Not sure what size is correct.

What size fuse did you use in the power feed?

I just purchased the 12" version for my swing back. Plenty of room to mount it underneath the front facing portion of the rear seat. Will give you all an update on sound quality after install

I thought boats should not ground to the “chassis” as this creates an electrical path (albeit 12V) through the boat structure which could cause electrolysis? Correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not the brightest bulb on the tree....

Exactly right. Vehicles such as cars, trucks, ect. use chassis ground not boats. For boats the ground is to the battery (or grounding blocks via the battery). That's what I meant when I said an amp kit that you'd buy would come with a very short ground as they are meant for cars and trucks. Car stereo shops have it bulk rolls so you'd just tell them to give you 7 feet of red and 7 feet of black or whatever length you need.

I just purchased the 12" version for my swing back. Plenty of room to mount it underneath the front facing portion of the rear seat. Will give you all an update on sound quality after install

That's where I mounted mine. Lots of room and no rattles. In the off season If I get bored I might try it down firing so the bass "loads" off of the floor to see the difference in sound. Then again I only have the gain turned up maybe 1/4 of the way now and it pounds so don't really need any more bass.

That's where I mounted mine. Lots of room and no rattles. In the off season If I get bored I might try it down firing so the bass "loads" off of the floor to see the difference in sound. Then again I only have the gain turned up maybe 1/4 of the way now and it pounds so don't really need any more bass.
Thats all im looking for is a little bass. Stock speakers that came with the KC10 seem to be sufficient. They just need a little "kick" (pun intended)

Jim, are you using these speakers, if so how do you like them? I have the KMC10, and the factory speakers. They distort when music is turned up loud so trying to find an upgrade that won't distort so much. On a side note, does anyone have a trick to removing the grills pictured below so I can install new speakers?

1.png

Pry them off gently. Work your way around like a paint can. Be careful to protect the rear surface.

Jim, are you using these speakers, if so how do you like them? I have the KMC10, and the factory speakers. They distort when music is turned up loud so trying to find an upgrade that won't distort so much. On a side note, does anyone have a trick to removing the grills pictured below so I can install new speakers?

1.png

I do have these speakers. I do not listen to my music too loudly so I haven't noticed distortion. I was told by my dealer that it is cheaper to upgrade the stereo system myself as Bennington wants a lot of money for their upgrade. I think my first move is going to be replacing these speakers with kicker speakers, about $200. Then may consider a powered sub.

I order the Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Punch Subwoofer on Monday and received it today via Amazon prime. The 12" version was really too big to fit anywhere unless I put it under the helm. Instead I measured the seat opening that was right beside the batteries in the rear starboard side. I thought I could maneuver it in there and it ALMOST fit. :eek: Unfortunately, it would not fit there. However, having the Stern Radius floor plan, the reclining seat back in that same row of seats, lifts up. I noticed a panel on the outer back of that seat just behind the captains chair. I looked in and saw it unscrewed and removed super easily. The 10" sub went right down in the hole and I was able to even stand it up on it's side taking up less room so I now have room for some other things in there. The wiring was SIMPLE and that bass thumps SO GOOD!!! I also just noticed another price drop tonight on Amazon for this. At the time of this post it was $170 on Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P300-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007AQ2W2Q?th=1

I also found a killer deal on 2 pair of Kicker 6.5" speakers ($99/pr also on Amazon prime) that should arrive tomorrow. I am going to replace the stock QM-650 speakers with these new ones. Even if I left the stock speakers adding the 10" sub was perfect for my boat. The punch is just right!

Thanks for all the help on here with the suggestions. :D
I will definitely 2nd the positive review of the 10” Punch as can my neighbors at the lake. I installed mine in the helm of my 2375GCW last summer. After hearing mine, my neighbor to the East ordered the same one for his boat last year and I just helped my neighbor to the West install his 2 weeks ago. All 3 subs and install kits were bought on Amazon. Great bang for the buck!

When you got signal from one of the rear speakers, did you lose the feed to that speaker or sharing the feed?

They share the feed. The speaker still functions as normal.

Nice! You won’t be disappointed!!

My boat came with the KC10 system. It has a audio out for the sub. Ran some line and put the bass nob at the helm also. Clean job and done right.

THIS THING CRANKS!! This speaker puts out some great bass to complement the system nicely!

Hey guys, I see where the "wiring kits" come with an in-line fuse. I was just going to buy 8 gauge wire locally so I can get the correct length for both the power and ground and just hook it up. Do I really need the additional fuse?

Back