Installed powered sub today

One year in and I've had no issues.

I had mine installed directly to the kicker head unit for power and sound as opposed to tapping into a rear speaker wire. Wonder if that is causing some of the issues?
My unit was wired directly to Kicker output and sat under the helm. I will for sure remove for storage this coming winter.

No issues here either (knock on wood).

Decided to put one of these suds in.
I have a GSR layout and am going to place the sub in the seat back close to the battery location.
Problem is I don’t have rear speaker in the seats back where the battery is located.
Looks like I will need to route an RCA cable under the decking to the helm.
I have under skin shielding under the boat deck.
How do does one get access to route the cable.
Anyone have experience with this task or any tips?

Joachim, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck by adding the sub. One reason this unit is so popular is that it pretty much eliminates the need to fish a wire, which can be a hassle, particularly if you toon is in the water all season. However, it can be done with the help of an electrical fish tape.

Decided to put one of these suds in.
I have a GSR layout and am going to place the sub in the seat back close to the battery location.
Problem is I don’t have rear speaker in the seats back where the battery is located.
Looks like I will need to route an RCA cable under the decking to the helm.
I have under skin shielding under the boat deck.
How do does one get access to route the cable.
Anyone have experience with this task or any tips?

I did this project this spring on my 2017 24SSRX.
I placed my sub in the backseat behind the Captain seat close to the battery. You can run the RCA cable down thru grommet that drops down for the accessories wires that lead to the helm. I placed mine in wire loom for added protection. You then follow the accessory wires which are also in plastic wire loom back up to helm. I had a helper fish a flexible wire down into the grommet in the helm and I was able to hook it and attach my RCA cable and gentle pulled them up into the helm. You will have enough space under the deck but above the skirting to run the wires. I simply attached mine to the other wires in the plastic loom with small zip ties. You do not have to remove any of the under-shield or the skirting.
I say it’s a 3 beer project.
Good luck.

Joachim, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck by adding the sub. One reason this unit is so popular is that it pretty much eliminates the need to fish a wire, which can be a hassle, particularly if you toon is in the water all season. However, it can be done with the help of an electrical fish tape.

Thanks.
Unfortunately I don’t have speakers in the rear where I will mount the sub.
That is why I need to run an RCA cable to the helm.
I also plan to use the safety hub using position 2 and place a 30 or 40amp fuse in that spot.
Seems like that is what the safety hub is for???

I did this project this spring on my 2017 24SSRX.
I placed my sub in the backseat behind the Captain seat close to the battery. You can run the RCA cable down thru grommet that drops down for the accessories wires that lead to the helm. I placed mine in wire loom for added protection. You then follow the accessory wires which are also in plastic wire loom back up to helm. I had a helper fish a flexible wire down into the grommet in the helm and I was able to hook it and attach my RCA cable and gentle pulled them up into the helm. You will have enough space under the deck but above the skirting to run the wires. I simply attached mine to the other wires in the plastic loom with small zip ties. You do not have to remove any of the under-shield or the skirting.
I say it’s a 3 beer project.
Good luck.

Thank you Major K.
How did you do your wiring to power and ground.
I am planning on using safety hub and tie into position #2 on the hub which is labeled “Kicker Amplifier 40amp” for positive and tie into the safety ground bar for my negative ground.
Has anyone
Done it this way?

Joachim, thats exactly how I wired up my sub (and also an amp), to the hub. Its what the hub is for. Mine didn't come with a fuse, so had to order one, a little different that your typical auto blade fuse. Works like a charm. I also ran all my wires through grommets and under the skin as someone described above using fish tape & fiberglass rods. Wasn't difficult but it was a 4 beer exercise for me, it was hot in my shop. Ha.

Did mine that way as well. 2 years in and no issues.

Thanks for the response.
I assume you had to take the side skirt off to do the wire fishing.
It also sounds like you tapped into the power antenna wire under the helm for on/off control of the sub.
Can you explain the connection at the sub and under the helm?
Does the antenna wire have an toggle switch on the dash controls area?

Joachim, thats exactly how I wired up my sub (and also an amp), to the hub. Its what the hub is for. Mine didn't come with a fuse, so had to order one, a little different that your typical auto blade fuse. Works like a charm. I also ran all my wires through grommets and under the skin as someone described above using fish tape & fiberglass rods. Wasn't difficult but it was a 4 beer exercise for me, it was hot in my shop. Ha.

Thanks for the info.
I too ordered the 40Amp fuse.
I am planning on using position 2 on the safety hub.
For the negative ground I am going to use the 3rd in used bolt & nut attachment location on the hub bus bar.
See attached pic.
Does this sound correct
Based on your hook up?

Attachments

• 4C7242DB-BC7F-4745-BC20-F34D9D8D7576.jpeg
    4C7242DB-BC7F-4745-BC20-F34D9D8D7576.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 85
Yeap, that looks right to me. BTW, I did not have to remove any side skirting to run wire up to the helm. You can get your hand up in there to work a bit. Sub has ability to turn on/off when it detects a signal so not sure he need to tie into antenna control but I'll let others chime in who may be more experienced. You wire sub up to power on bus bar and then plug into cable coming off stereo head unit for sub audio.

I installed the p300-12 in my 2020 23SSBXP this past weekend. It has a KMC100 head unit which has a pair of RCA sub pre-amp outs so the sub runs independent from the other channels. I ran a pair on 40ft RCA cables from the sub pre-amp out on the head unit to the sub under the swing back bench. Pulling the RCA cables under the deck wasn’t too bad. Sounds good, really rounds out the sound.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this thread. I installed a Rockford sub last night, and because of all of the information here it made my decision to do so easy, and the installation a piece of cake. Again thank you to everyone.

Great recommendations on here. I too installed the Rockford powered sub. Sounds awesome. I have the speakers in the back so I tapped in to one of the speakers, ran the ground and the positive to battery number 2. Only issue is when I turn everything off the subs blue light goes out then comes back on giving a constant bass sound coming out of the sub and continues to do that. I don’t know if I’m getting interference in the speaker inputs from the battery cables but I need some guidance. I have the switch set to Audio. I did switch this to DC Offset because I thought that is what the instructions stated to do but I then get no bass. Any suggestions?

Back