Installing LED Lights on Transom: Help

I want to install these underwater LEDS on my transom.

Lumitec SeaBlaze Mini LED Surface Mount Underwater Boat Light, 2 Per Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHW1ERI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8DqdFbQD91J9H

I’m hesitant to drill into the transom. I want to install them below the water line. Advice? Land mines I need to be aware of?
We need to know what year and model Benny you have. You only want to use the external welded on aluminum boxed pieces that are at rear of pontoons otherwise you are drilling into pontoons themselves risking lake water leaking into them.IMG_4419.jpgIMG_4420 (1).jpg

Last edited:
We need to know what year and model Benny you have. You only want to use the external welded on aluminum boxed pieces that are at rear of pontoons otherwise you are drilling into pontoons themselves risking lake water leaking into them.

Thanks. 2018 Benny SSRXP. I wasn’t going to touch the toons. I only have a box on the port toon so I was going to attach on the transom. My concern is the transom itself. I was going to drill into it on each side of the motor mounts. Since the transom holds water, I didn’t see how I could cause any damage with the drilled holes and marine sealant.

Thanks. 2018 Benny SSRXP. I wasn’t going to touch the toons. I only have a box on the port toon so I was going to attach on the transom. My concern is the transom itself. I was going to drill into it on each side of the motor mounts. Since the transom holds water, I didn’t see how I could cause any damage with the drilled holes and marine sealant.
Gotcha..... I added a couple of pics to my previous post but you already answered about my questions. I wonder if adding lights near engine could 1) interfere with water flow maybe add drag and create rooster tail? 2) Maybe not give wide enough illumination. 3) Might get ripped off or bent from water flow out the tunnels. If the port toon external "box" would work for mounting light, what about making a cardboard pattern of it and buying some aluminum sheet same thickness and bending it in vice identical to the port one and have it heliarc welded to starboard toon (or have sheet metal shop build one) . Maybe others have more thoughts on how to add them.

I had the same issue, I purchased the aluminum box from Bennington and had it welded on the the other side then mounted the lights to it. Great project. I don't thin you would be happy mountain the lights above the waterline. Check out where Bennington mounts them when you order them from factory. Best of luck

Well,
I thought I'd throw mine into the pot. We've owned this Benny now for approximately 10 months and, as of yet, we haven't seen what the underwater lights look like at night. And, we also have the under deck lights too which, we've not seen at night either, with exception of seeing all them lit up in the garage.
Scott

P.S., By the way, I'm sure that most, if not all of you know that, in the evening, and darker hours, it is illegal to run ANY lighting that is not coast guard required/approved, WHILE UNDER WAY. When you're parked or anchored, you can display anything you desire. But, start the engine and put it in gear, and, all that *auxiliary* lighting must be shut off. Now, that's the law. But, it all depends on your local law enforcement. Some will let things slide while others, enforce the letter of the law.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1523.JPG
    IMG_1523.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1461.JPG
    IMG_1461.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 105
If you're speaking to me, and concerning my garage, I most certainly appreciate the nice comment. The boat is actually parked in the RV stall. I switch them back and forth when work or maintenance is needed on the boat. I had the floor(s) done prior to us closing escrow. It's really nice to have epoxied floors 'cause I can spill or leak whatever I want or, just what happens and, there's absolutely ZERO staining.
Scott

Yes, I envy your RV stall! DIY types like me have daydreams of working on our toys in comfort - throw in an electric lift for the car/truck, A/C and a fridge for the 24-pack and my wife and kids will never see or hear from me again.

Yes, I envy your RV stall! DIY types like me have daydreams of working on our toys in comfort - throw in an electric lift for the car/truck, A/C and a fridge for the 24-pack and my wife and kids will never see or hear from me again.

Tell your wife that and you might get your wish

it is illegal to run ANY lighting that is not coast guard required/approved, WHILE UNDER WAY. When you're parked or anchored, you can display anything you desire. But, start the engine and put it in gear, and, all that *auxiliary* lighting must be shut off. Now, that's the law. But, it all depends on your local law enforcement. Some will let things slide while others, enforce the letter of the law.

Your statements are far too broad and mostly inaccurate. The only answer is it depends on your local laws. I boat on a huge 50,000 acre 35 mile long inland lake that is not governed by US Coast Guard regulations. It is governed by state statutes. Those statutes are admittedly based on the Coast Guard regulations, but they differ significantly. I am allowed to run any light at night I want as long as it doesn't interfere with my red, green and white navigation lights. (One exception: flashing blue light is reserved for law enforcement. But no prohibition on solid blue.) I've studied the actual statutes and keep a hard copy of the applicable ones in my boat should I ever need it.

Now it seems just about everyone has an opinion on lights other than the standard red, green and white. I have no interest in debating that here.

PS: Great looking boat and RV stall.

14' wide x 40' long x 12' legs Versa-tube kit RV building great for Benny except not high enough to open bimini while under. At least an alternative to that great garage.
IMG_4398.jpg

Back