Interesting Boat Article

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
107175344.jpg

I will admit to making some mistakes in the actual purchase of my Beloved Benny 

Being prepared for a Big Purchase is imperative, I did a ton of research to decide on Bennington as my Boat of Choice 

So for those out there who are researching or in decision mode this article may come in handy

Ask questions we have an amazing group of people here willing to give of their time and knowledge.

PontoonHouseboatOdyssey

The purpose of this article  is to provide you with enough information about pontoon boats that you can make a satisfactory selection in what is a bewildering choice of boats. If you are considering the purchase of a new or used pontoon boat the options, features, size and the number of available models is staggering. Remember that price is not the only way to measure the value of your potential purchase. Quality construction with good durable materials is essential for long term satisfaction of your purchase. Remember the most expensive and unsatisfactory pontoon you can buy is one that does not fit your intended uses or needs.

Pontoon Boats have come a long way towards closing the gap though in recent years. With all the new developments in Pontoon technology they can do more than a fair job with the water toys. There's been a lot of improvements in recent years and hopefully more to come. You'd be surprised how many people are letting go of their "go fast" boats and buying the more performance oriented Pontoon models that are available on the market now. But the thing all Pontoons still retain is the ability to take a nice slow relaxing ride with all your friends when you want to. Then you can beach it into shore or a sandbar and easily get on and off the boat.

There are a lot of choices that need to be made either way to find the one that fits you. Unfortunately if one size boat and motor and one floor plan fit everyone needs these choices would not be so difficult to start with. But unfortunately this would make everything just too simple and easy for everyone. So I guess the thing now is to try to figure what size pontoon will fit your needs best and understand these recommendations will be suggestions at best.

Most trips out how many people will usually accompany you on your boat?

For 2 to 6 people a 18 to 20ft. pontoon boat should work

For 6 to 10 people a 22 to 24ft. pontoon boat

For 10 or more people only consider 24ft. and larger pontoon boat

What percentage of time will be spent fishing on your pontoon boat?

70 to 100% should consider dedicated fishing model pontoon

10 to 70% a fish and cruise model pontoon

Under 10% probably should consider dedicated cruising pontoon

Will you want to cruise and pull water toys, or wish to pull adult skiers?

Don't consider anything under 90hp. and a bit more motor would be even better yet.

Are you planning any long cruises on your pontoon? Are you going to want camping capability? Are you or any family members sensitive to sunlight or burn readily?

If yes is the answer things such as a changing room with a porta potti, double biminis with side kits, a grill and sink, plus seating that pulls out to make beds may all be important for you to be happy and satisfied with your pontoon boat purchase. My personal preference for overall boat length is 24ft. though in most of our actual use there has just been the two of us. But some of our best times and cherished memories on the water has involved an unexpected boatload of passengers. So what I'm trying to say is, if there's any doubt give serious consideration to the larger side. I'm willing to bet you'll never regret it.

If you are considering a new or used pontoon boat there are still a lot of considerations to think about. How sound the flooring is and what kind of material is it made out of. Were bolts or screws used to fasten it down to cross members? While screws will work for this application, bolts are superior in every way for this purpose. I'd urge everyone to actually crawl under the pontoons and see for themselves that there are adequate cross members between pontoons and how the flooring is fastened to them for this is that important. This can and often is the difference of a good quality long lasting investment or just another pontoon boat.

The question that may be most often may be what is the best deck material? The decking on a pontoon boat provides several key functions other than just a surface to walk on.

The flooring is a key structural element. The more rigid the deck material the more structurally durably the boat will provide. The rigid deck materials will absorb torsion that would otherwise be entirely transferred to fasteners and other structural components.

The flooring also provides some sound insulation. Pontoon hull design results in a considerable amount of water spray upon both the cross members and the underside of the deck. The more speed the more pronounced the spray of water is. The primary insulation from this is the deck material itself. (under- skinning also vastly improves this too and you may see slight improvement in speed)

The flooring also is a big factor in thermal insulation. Since pontoon boats are most utilized most during the hottest periods of the year the decking is exposed to high temperatures. The ability of the decking to work as effective heat sink to lower temperatures can vastly improve the comfort of the occupants.

The flooring is the base for whatever is used for a deck covering. Though carpeting is the most widely used covering there are a few other choices available. The floor covering life and appearance is the key to maintaining an attractive looking appearance. For maximum life of the flooring the underlayment or deck must have a smooth level surface with as few seams as possible. Therefore with seams minimized there are less occurrences of panel shifting which can wear carpet backing and loosen adhesives and significantly shorten the life of the flooring. With all these thoughts in mind you may better evaluate the various deck materials that are available.

Composites: In recent years some manufactures have made more composite flooring options available. There's been a effort to meet customer demand for a decay proof deck material without all the structural drawbacks normally associated with aluminum decking. Composites are made largely made of recycled plastic products formed into panels similar in size and thickness of wood. Composites are far superior to aluminum in insulating qualities. Rigidity is generally superior to aluminum but still inferior to wood. Earlier versions did over time suffer from sagging. However the later composites panel decking has fiberglass reinforcement that has corrected these concerns. However this piece of mind does come with a price however, for composites often is a more expensive option if available.

Aluminum: Is available as a deck material from various pontoon boat manufactures. Aluminum is generally offered as an option to ease customer fears of woods potential to decay. And aluminum does offer peace of mind for the customer and has become a major marketing tool for those manufactures that offer it. However when considering some of the desirable characteristics described earlier, aluminum does indeed have some shortcomings to consider as a deck material. Aluminum has poor panel span strength and rigidity. To compensate this most manufactures lay aluminum in sections of pieces six to eight inches wide. While in comparison other materials are generally four foot wide sections. To cut costs many manufactures also use self tapping screws to fasten it in place. All the additional seams also result in an increase of stress and wear on the carpet over time. Aluminum also has poor insulating qualities of both sound and heat. But there are many people who feel that the prospects of no decay over ride all the negative aspects of this material.

Wood is the most traditional of all the decking materials. In almost all the above desirable characteristics it has the most desirable qualities. Wood also has the greatest rigidity and panel strength of all the available materials. Its insulating qualities are as good as the composites. It's also one of the least stressful and maybe best substrates when used with carpet. However wood can, have and does exhibit decay. Like any organic material if it's left untreated it will have poor survivability in a wet marine environment. Therefore you should be certain that a good grade of marine plywood was used in the construction of your boat. If marine grade CCA treated 3/4 in. plywood was used in construction and some general care was taken of the boat, you can rest assured that you'll get many years of relatively carefree service from your pontoon boat purchase before any issues or observation of any decay.

Discover Outstanding Outboard Engines

Only a few years ago those buying outboard engines for boats longer than 20 feet had basically one choice: the conventional 2-stroke. Notwithstanding Honda's lineup of smaller 4-stroke engines, your basic decision boiled down to color: black (Mercury), white (Johnson), blue (Evinrude), or gray (Yamaha or Suzuki). Nowadays, no matter what boat you have, you can find the perfect engine. You may even have a hard time choosing — every manufacturer produces clean-burning, fuel-efficient 2-stroke engines and 4-stroke engines capable of handling a wide range of activities. Your decision now relies on more than color alone.

Saddle up to boat engines with the right horsepower

Picking an outboard engine with the right amount of horsepower for your boat involves more than checking a boat's capacity plate (for maximum horsepower rating) or referencing the manufacturer's price sheet to find the lowest-priced models. The best choice usually lies somewhere in the middle, taking both performance and cost into consideration. Generally speaking, if you exclude the smallest engines available and very upper tier, careful scrutiny reveals which engines offer the best bang for your buck.

Finding the sweet spot in engine pricing has a lot to do with boat type; some boats won't benefit much by additional horsepower. Take a twin-tube pontoon boat, for example. With a 90-hp 4-stroke engine it runs at 13.9 mph at 4,000 rpm (a typical cruising speed), while a less expensive 60-hp 4-stroke of the same make pushes it at 13 mph at 4,000 rpm. For a less than 1 mph difference, you can save money on the engine and at the gas pump.

Sterndrive-powered boats are another good example; the manufacturer of a popular 22-foot bowrider equipped with a 300-hp 350 MAG MPI engine estimates a top speed of 52- to 56 mph. The same boat with a 375-hp 496 MAG MPI is estimated to have a top speed of 54- to 59 mph, but costs thousands of dollars more. The best source of engine information can come from your boat dealer or boat manufacturer, but you have to ask for it. See if they have performance data with different engines — you’ll usually get solid information.

I hope this may help you in picking the perfect Benny for you and your family's needs.

All I can say is Bennington to me is The Gold Standard of Pontoon so no matter which model you choose from know you have chosen the Industry's Best :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty thorough article, Pittsburgh!

It's a bit lengthy but , with so many potential buyers surfing the forum 

I thought it may be helpful.

For the first time buyers of a pontoon , all I can say is ....

It is an amazing lifestyle 

112052367.jpg

Some of the information needs a little clarification, or does not tell the whole story.  Example, it talks about a 60hp compared to a 90hp.  Only 1 mph difference and can save money at pump.  We all know this is not true, add two more people to the boat and watch the 60 just die compared to the 90.  I can go over 50 with 1 person in my boat or 8.  Even if a smaller engine could do 50, it won't with 8.  I have a buddy with an ETec 150, he gets 4 people on his boat and it dies, it is also only a two toon boat.

Length of boat part needs to be thought out some more, you shouldn't just take into account the amount of people that will be on the boat, you need to take into account the type of ride you want, size of the lake and how rough it gets, etc.

But, I may be just being picky :) because there is a lot of good information here.

I'm not nit picking, but I also think there need to be distinction between passengers and cargo. For example.....

The figures used to determine capacity ASSume that passengers weigh +/-150 pounds. Don't know about you, but the last time I had a boat full of 150 pounders was when my daughter wanted a boat party for her 14th birthday. So, the passenger capacity numbers require the captain to keep a calculator handy. Fat Uncle Randy wants to join the fun, sorry, Uncle Randy, we don't have the capacity!!!!!

Then there is the cargo conundrum. Myself and a buddy, if we wish, could pack a cooler full of ice and boat sodas that between him, me and the cooler could almost equal 4 passengers.

So, I'm a bit skeptical when people say, "It can hit 40 with just my wife and me on board."

On a pontoon FB page today, a gentleman was boasting that with just him and a full tank of fuel, his 22' S-series with 2 tubes, lifting strakes and a 150 will hit 47 (GPS). I just don't know how to sort the fly sh*t from the pepper in these situations.

It's a bit lengthy but , with so many potential buyers surfing the forum 

I thought it may be helpful.

For the first time buyers of a pontoon , all I can say is ....

It is an amazing lifestyle 

What is the source of this article?

PontoonHouseboatOdysseyThis Site was written using Firefox as the primary Browser so if you're using another Browser and having Issues seeing anything. Please use the contact us page and we'll attempt to resolve the problem.For advise or to ask questions may I also suggest logging on to Net Boat Talk Or also consider joining PontoonForums.Com where their are numerous members eager to supply you with answers for any questions you may have. If you'd like you can also look me up as Bamby at both sites.

The above information was copied and pasted from site

Please note the original article is twice as long 

I highlighted only half

Please note it is not my intention to take activity from this site and draw it to other sites

This was taken off the net and given freely to any and all who are interested in the information supplied.

I will say on this topic....  Finding the sweet spot in engine pricing has a lot to do with boat type; some boats won't benefit much by additional horsepower. Take a twin-tube pontoon boat, for example. With a 90-hp 4-stroke engine it runs at 13.9 mph at 4,000 rpm (a typical cruising speed), while a less expensive 60-hp 4-stroke of the same make pushes it at 13 mph at 4,000 rpm. For a less than 1 mph difference, you can save money on the engine and at the gas pump.

I went with the Yamaha 90 HP 4 Stroke with No Regrets 

109013616.jpg

I agree with what's been said above. Having said that, I will admit that my enthusiasm for this site and forum has waned a bit since I first joined up. At risk of alianating anyone, I will say that the stock answer anytime a new member asks for advice on what to buy, is that it comes back as being a necessity to buy the biggest and baddest motor that is out there. 

I am sure that this advice often dampens the enthusiasm of those "newbies" that are not in a financial position, nor have the need to transport 8 chunky people at 50+ mph. Our boat has been to 44 mph with just two of us, and easily to 36 mph with 6 adults and 4 GKids. However, we are on the St. John River in Florida, where speeds are limited to 30 mph day, and 25 mph nighttime, interspersed with stretches limited to "slow" or "idle" speed. The river also connects several of the largest lakes to be found in Florida, where you can "run what you brung". Most times we enjoy cruising and around 16 mph, although the most enjoyable times are when we are enjoying the wildlife and scenery of the river and around inlets and islands at "slow speed" or even idle.

The reality is that boating on a pontoon (or tritoon in our case) at SUSTAINED speeds over 25 mph makes for an uncomfortable trip, with lost towels, hats, sunglasses, snacks, and anything else that is not tied down. We have taken our Benni (see signature below for boat info) on several trips where we have traveled in excess of 40 miles in distance, so obviously it is necessary sometimes to boat at elevated speeds for extended times. But the higher speed stretches are NOT the best part of the trip. So, even if I had a boat that had 300 HP, most times it would be a waste. Hey, my opinion (and my money) is that our boat is plenty fast enough for our needs. Your opinion my vary, and you can spend whatever YOU want, on YOUR boat.

Boat size is another thing. While our 21SLX is really only 22 feet LOA, the extended aft deck adds at least 2 feet of USEFUL space, and is more than big enough for the way we use the boat. Actually boat design and layout has as much to do with "spaciousness" as does the intended use of the boat. 

So, what's my purpose in writing this long, drawn out reply? It's to thank Pittsburgh for providing the article for us to read. It has some spot on advice for someone trying to decide what is important for them. No more or less. I'm actually happy that I only came to this site after I bought our boat, because had I come here before, I may have been influenced to buy something beyond our needs.

I love all of the advice, and commeradery that exists here, wow, what a resource! However, I often cringe in sympathy for the person asking for advice when the answers are always the same: bigger, faster, better, and more expensive. I myself never have felt a need to "keep up with the Jones'".

Well said toner, I also am a slow cruiser, my average cruising speed is about 13mph and we are on a big lake I just am never in a hurry.  At night cruises I generally do about 5mph.  That being said I will still admit I made a mistake buying the 115 instead of the 150.  I have a heavy boat and the 115 gets me about 28 at WOT.  The problem is when I have a full boat with 10+ adults the 115 really slogs down. 

I can certainly understand that they are times when budget is a constraint but when you are spending the kind of money we spend that extra would not kill you as much as the regret and the knowledge that it will cost you much more in the long run.  

Great points, Tooner.

Realistically, it's current owners with the most honest perspectives. Too many of us have been told by dealers that "this boat will run 40 mph with this 115."

Until this nonsense stops, it will be up to us to separate the fly poop from the pepper for prospective buyers.

Not all need a 200 or a 300 or a 350. But everyone needs an honest set of facts before signing on the line to buy.

Thank You Tooner ,

Shockingly I posted a New Thread on HP before your response !!

I will admit that I am retired two houses , kids, grandkids and a limited budget always on all my toys. I live Lake Front but not in the biggest or most spectacular home. It is important to enjoy life within your means having a car may be important , it being a Porsche or a Rolls is not as important. I am trying to encourage the lifestyle to all who are interested no matter how limited the budget. What I like to point out routinely is Bennington's Warranty is the same from their smallest pontoon to their most elaborate. Engine speed is important but being on the water is more important. 

109961067.jpg

Yes I live Lake front 

But 

I look like my neighbors storage shed

Nonetheless I love the lifestyle 

I think we are all in agreement. Pittsburgh, thanks again. Your place looks just fine, and it's on the water!

Group hug!  :lol:

If I didn't have kids, Semper's boat would be overpowered for me!  I'm happy just floating or slow cruising.  When slow cruising, I occasionally sit in the port side "L" seat with one foot in reach of the steering wheel for minor course corrections.  We're talking idle speed here.  A 10 HP motor would suit me just fine.  That would have been a complete waste of money though, because MY kids (yours may be different) wouldn't want to even go boating with that slow of a boat.  Relaxing to me is boring to them.

If you have kids 10+ years of age, and they want an EXCITING tubing ride, a 115 wasn't enough motor for my boat.  The upgrade to 150 cost me a lot of cash.  Thus my constant warning about this.

Top speed isn't always the best measure, but it is the simplest.  Acceleration is also very important, but VERY difficult to measure.  When I had my 115, I bought a Spitfire prop.  My hope was it would help make tubing more exciting.  My top speed dropped around 5 mph, but tubing with that prop was BETTER than my Black Max (which was 5 mph faster) due to the awesome acceleration of the Spitfire.  Tubing was NOTICABLY better with the Spitfire, but again, it wasn't quite enough, and thus the trade to the 150.

Resale is another important consideration.  Today's pontoons can "have it all" (spacious and speed) if you have a larger motor.  If you have a smaller motor, selling it probably will be more difficult as more people are looking to pontoons to "do it all".  A smaller motor cuts down the number of potential buyers. 

In the end, you have to do what's right for you.  The "buy all you can afford" comment, while often correct, doesn't really help make the best decision FOR YOU.  It really starts with knowing what you want to do with your boat.  Then buy a motor just big enough to accomplish that, and spend the rest on beer.

Better make that "lite beer" or your ever increasing weight will require an even bigger motor. 

You are 100% correct obviously. Think about what you want and need before buying. Boat buying should not be an impulse. Your example of your 115 vs 150 is always valid and good advice!

My Benny tops out at 18 mph (60 HP Yamaha) and that was the largest motor that the boat is rated.  We paid extra for it, as the 50 HP was standard.  I don't even run it wide open all that much.  I had a Hurricane Deck Boat and an 18 foot Proline and both would top out around 35 mph, and that was definitely relaxing in the Proline.  I just love sitting in the captains chair and not having to be on edge at all times.  Of course, we are retired and don't have children, hence no grand children that desire being towed around.

There is no correct answer to many of the size issues, and unfortunately some take advise too personally.

Wait a minute abypfcs, I am starting to think I may be your son as I have all of those same traits with no children or grandchildren

Back