Interesting - Painting Tubes with Roller

Pbakk

Reaction score
The July / August issue of Family Handyman magazine had an interesting project in which they refurbished a 50 year old aluminum camper. At first they tried to restore the aluminum but then decided to paint with an oil-based alkyd farm and implement paint with a added catalyst / hardener. I was surprised to see how nice it looks. Might be an option for tubes some day. It took them 6 hours to paint two coats.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 46
  • before IMG_1262.jpg
    before IMG_1262.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 44
That looks surprisingly good. Aluminum is difficult to adhere to but looks like the correct paint will last. There are special primers for aluminum also. If someone doesn't want a bold color could always match the silver gray of natural aluminum. I have been thinking of possibility of using quality auto type of vinyls like carbon graphite look and precut into a pattern similar to alternating floor tile look maybe of 2 sizes so that as bumpers scuff them up just damaged ones could be replaced to always look good. The sharkhyde coating seems to get scuffed away after a while with bumper use and makes pontoons look splotchy and inconsistant finish. Maybe the right paint is the answer

The hard water will wear that paint off in 1 summer.

Unless all of the alum boat manufacturers are using a different paint, I would be surprised if hard water would wear the paint off. My alum sport fish boat was exposed to the sun and hard water for 20 years without significant issues. The paint actually seemed to help protect the alum from oxidation, pitting, etc, but I am not a paint expert.

just thinking about this ...... could run a test by trying a coating on inside of pontoon so if it didn't last it isn't a problem to remove.

Back