Is 115 HP Enough Power For Tubing?

I have a couple of questions related to towing a tube that I hope you experts can answer for me.

I just bought a 2013 24SSRX with twin-ellipticals and a 115 HP Yamaha 4-stroke (first time boater with all of 4 hours experience). I just ordered a 3-person chariot-style towable tube, the Gladiator 3-rider Super Brawler, along with the SportsStuff Booster Ball. I plan on cruising with friends and family over the 4th of July weekend.

1. My boat has a tow bar already installed, is it better to use the tow bar or to get a harness and connect it to the U-bolts directly on the boat?

2. I want to have a full boat of people and tow ~400 lbs on this tube. Anybody have experience and success doing this with this setup?

I've been told that I "should" have no problems doing this (before I bought the boat). But today on this forum, I've seen comments that suggest I may not have enough power to accomplish this. I'm looking for comments from people with experience. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I was pulling my niece and nephew around on a tube with my 70 HP Yamaha on my 20 SLX. I used a harness and U bolts, as I do not have a tow pole. You should be fine tubing, just take it easy and see what your engine and boat can handle. Use your tow pole, that's what you got it for right? Enjoy!

I would think with the ball, you'd use a harness down low. Some big tubes (with the tow bar up high) can fly 20 feet in the air.

I've been watching my next door neighbor with a 24' twin pontoon (no strakes) and a late model Mercury 115 hp. He's been towing two big tubes with 6-8 people on the boat. It looks like he's lumbering somewhat, but it's doing the job.

The twin ellipticals are very buoyant and the fastest hull Bennington has. You'll probably be all right pulling the Super Brawler with a couple of heavyweights. It might take a hard effort to turn the steering wheel, however.

I have the 24SSL and a 115 and you will be disappointed with the 115 with a full boat of people. It just ain't enough motor for that.

Sure, you'll be able pull the tube, but it will be a very boring ride (again, with a full boat) and the tube will pretty much stay straight behind the boat. You won't be whipping anyone outside the wake very far, if at all. When you turn to do a whip, the boat will slow way down, and with a full boat, doubt the tube will ride out of the wake more than a few feet.

Now with just a few people on board, the 115 will provide a very exciting ride. With a half-full boat, the 115 is pretty borderline in my opinion. Depends who's riding it. If you have a half full boat, and it's someone my age riding the tube that doesn't want to go to a chiropractor the next day, it will be just right. If you're pulling 5-6 year olds, it will be just about right for that too. But if you're pulling thrill-hungry teenagers, there will be moments of excitement if you're good at timing the whip into an oncoming wake, but they'll be yawning most of the time.

One time we had a pretty full boat (3/4ths full) and my 10 year old let go of the tube handles, rolled over onto his back spread-eagle style, and pretended to be sleeping. That said it all.

Come back after your outing and let me know what you think.

The 115 HP should be plenty for tubing and use your tow bar...........I take it that you read what Kaydano experienced when he took a full boat tubing w/his 115 HP? (Kaydano beat me to it by 3 minutes..........)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it Daril, I am still at the starting gate

I have the 115 yamaha. Anyone wanna swap for a 150 plus cash. 115 is not enough for tubing.

Ditto.

hate to admit it after all the times I have said we are slow riders but when I have 12 people on my boat I do wish I had the 150

I have a 22slx with the express tube package with lifting strakes on both sides of all tunes and a mercury 115. I had the harness hooked to the toons and had a booster ball. I was pulling two 12 year olds with six people on the boat and was running 26 mph with a little throttle left at one point. Most of the time 20 mph was plenty. Much faster would beat the passengers to! I would use the ski tow bar and forget the ball. I am in the process of building a ski tow bar for mine. See post in tech.

livingLarge - read "Can I use my Black Max from my 115 on my new 150?" and learn

Back