Just bought a 22SSRXPDN - Now What?

M Jay Farr

Reaction score
All,

Just closed the deal on a 2019 22SSRXPDN. This is the first boat we have ever bought. We are located on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia. So, just looking for any advice someone might have for a new owner, tips etc. We have a covered slip with lift. I will not be moving the boat over until the spring.

Tips on registration, insurance appreicated.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard .... and PICS ARE MANDATORY...;)

Congrats and welcome. My advice is to take your time and enjoy. I’ve found that making lists work for me. And let’s see those photos!

Congrats!

You made a great decision by buying a Bennington, you are going to love it. Welcome to the forum.

Awesome choice and welcome. As a new boat owner.... it’s a pain, but follow the engine break in directions.

Also note how easy it may be to shift from forward to reverse, and make sure you don’t do that at medium to high RPM ( you’ll find a few stories here you don’t want to repeat). It varies by motor and stick based on what I have heard and seen.

Use fabric/vinyl sun block to keep things looking good with seat etc. also fabric gaurd on Bimini. I only do mine once a year in spring for my boats, but I know others ensure more protection throughout the year.

Many on this site ensure their toons are also looking nice with various products. I’m not as particular but it’s individual preference.

20 hour maintenance is essential in my mind, as well as annual winterizing etc.

For insurance, several homeowners policies cover boats, but many do not cover hazardous waste clean up (if you happen to lose oil, other lubricants in the water) if you are found the be responsible, if your boat leaks, or dumps stuff into water that is traceable to your boat. So check homeowners first, see what’s in and out. Even though my homeowners covered boats themselves, it did not cover the hazardous cleanup. So for about $175 per year per boat, it was worth it to me. Covers the boats and and other liability issues it causes (I tend to overinsure, so this may not make sense to everyone).

Hi, thanks so much for the information. I have a lot to learn. I am transitioning from a plane to a boat as a hobby. Hope this is a bit less expensive :)

I’m thinking less dangerous also ...... ;)

Never owned a plane, so you got the maintenance x 10. So preaching to the choir, but besides annual maintenance, be sure to replace impeller every 3 years at the very most (depending on hours). Neighbors on each side of me had neglected that and their engines have caught on fire, water rescue, and then cost. Engines had to be replaced and they were out a boat for the summer. So even if it looks fine, replace it.

......be sure to replace impeller every 3 years at the very most (depending on hours).

To clarify. The length of time between changing impeller should be a maximum of 3 years (and shorter timeframe with running more than average hours). My previous post could read to change at a maximum of every 3 years, but that was not the intent.

I change our impellor every 5-6 years. If you run in dirty or sandy water then more often.

Boat motors are cooled by the lake/ocean water. No radiator like cars (or planes I presume). The impeller is the rotating piece in the water pump casing that actually causes the water to circulate to keep the engine cool. Their fins tend to get worn down with dirt, sand, salt, stuff in the water so become ineffective at pumping water after a while. As my neighbors found out, without a good impeller, your engine overheats enough to start a fire.

So much to learn, I guess I’ll be doing a fair amount of reading before I actually take the boat out. Should be picking it up soon so I better crack that black right now
Thanks

Compared to a plane this will be nothing. sooo, I assume that planes have pumps to circulate antifreeze, cooling solvent, but do they have a similar set up to a car radiator or another configuration?

All the aircraft I have flown are single engine air cooled. Keep a fair amount of oil that is circulated through the engine and assist in the cooling of the engine, but no water cooling.

Back