Just ordered 2275 RCW - have questions

wetvette

Reaction score
We just ordered a 2275 RCW with Express pkg. 3rd tube & lifting strakes on all three tubes with a 115 Merc 4stroke.

After reading several entries I'm now worried my new pontoon will be a dog and not plane out properly.

This is my first pontoon, but a long time boater. I'm @ my dollar limit and upgrade to a 150 is additional $3,000.

Will anyone with this setup let me know if your happy with it or not. (just don't want a big $$$ mistake)

Tom

With a 115 it will plane out just fine with the express 3 tube. My last boat was an 07 2275 gl with express 3 tube and it was on full plane at around 12-13 mph even with 10 people on it and I had a 150 yamaha 4 stroke and it never worked hard at all getting there.

The thing with the express 3 tube with strakes on both sides of all 3 tube is that it doesn't turn or corner very good. That is where you will fall short with the 115, it takes a lot of power to corner the boat if you plan on tubing or skiing behind it, but on the straight away you will be fine.

Could have gone to a G series versus the R series and had the bigger engine for the price difference.

Wow, Thanks for the responses, I do appreciate the input. I will contact my seller to see what options I do have to increase to a 150 / 4,

and upgrade to the eliptical center tube. I don't want to be penny wise & dollar foolish.

I still have some time to decide since production @ 'B' is in full swing.

I do appreciate any and all input - I want the truth and this forum is very helpful.

I will keep you posted as to my results.

Tom

Wetvette,

I cannot tell you from 1st hand experience how the tritoon package will work out for you (ours is a 2 tuber) but we purchased an RCW2275 with the 115hp Mercury. The salesman told me 30mph with this set up. I get 25.2mph (gps) WOT out of my boat with cruising around 16-17mph at 4500 rpms. Had I been a wiser man and done some research on this forurm, I would have quickly learned to go with the tritoon or dual elliptical package and stretched myself a little further on the HP issue to get more out of it.

The wife is fine with the performance of our boat but I had to run out and buy a waverunner to fulfill my performance cravings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wetvet,

You are very smart to ask questions about performance prior to getting your boat. I have read many a post especially on other forums stating that the one thing most buyers of pontoons would change about their boat is more power. If you can, go for a test run ( that is what I did ) and see what application works best for you and your family. Best of luck!

I believe your replys are dead on !! A friend took me out on his 25' triple this evening with a 115 and I did feel like there should be

a little more ooomph...

I called my Bennington seller & voiced my opinion, he will launch a comperable express toon with the 115 to see how I feel, and will

work with me if I upgrade toons & power. (boat = break out another thousand & more)

Again, I can not thank you enough for your honest opinions.....

Tom

again, I'll keep ya posted as things progress.

I have a 2250 (model year 2010), with a 115 Merc 4 stroke. It does seem to need to rev pretty high to maintain 20-25 mph. Not sure what the gas use difference is between a 115 and a 150. I mostly just cruise about so I liked the idea of a smaller engine. If I were to tube every time out I would say the 150 is a better choice. Right now I am satisfied with the 115, but having a 150 you can always just press the throttle less...you don't have that option on a smaller engine. Sounds to me like you would regret the 115 motor.

There is never a cheaper time to buy more horsepower than when you first buy the boat.

The saga continues... The dealer took me out on a 22' SLI with the 115 merc, it was a windy day with a mild chop.

The boat performed well but running @ 6,100 rpm to maintain a 26 mph speed has me a little worried plus the

22rcw is almost 500 lbs. heavier.

So I'm going to the bigger motor... Thanks to ALL for the good advice, I feel this web site / forum

saved me a headache. Now all I have to do is empty the piggy bank and wait for delivery.

Thanks to all who responded is was a big help.

Tom

I'll post again when I get to test my now boat out!!

You won't regret going for the extra power. I went with the Mercury 150 Pro XS which is about 165 to 170hp. With twin elipitcal tubes, 150hp was the max the boat was rated for. I wanted a bit moe, therefore I went with the HO version of the 150. Bennington's website has 2 boats, one with ESP 3 toon and 1 with 32" elip tubes both with Yamma 150's on their perfomance reports. ESP runs 37mph and 32 elip run 40.9mph. Spoke with Mandy Moore at Bennington, twin elips will be faster by 2 or 3mph in a straight line. However, the ESP will corner and out turn a 32" elip equipped boat

Hope this helps

Todd

See my other posts. 5600 rpm. 2 people and full fuel. 5600 rpm at wot and im hitting 44mph. Hope to get a bit more after break in. 150 merc pro xs is about 165 hp. Its there HO version of the 2.5L block.

Hope this helps. Btw, it has tremendous out of the whole power. Love this motor. Ecm runs double oil thru 1st 10 hours. No smoke and the only thing u hear at idle speed is the water peeing out.

todd

Well I feel your pain because I struggled with these same decisions, that is basically the reason I decided to participate on here so I could try to help others out.

You have gotten some good direction on here and I would reiterate the importance of getting as much HP as you can now, you can always keep your hands out of the throttle but you can't add HP while you are on the water.

Regarding the express tube package. I was strongly considering this but considering it was winter when I was ordering I couldn't test. I was really concerned the express tube wouldn't provide the support where it is really needed and that is under the engine. I feared the stern would ride very low and with folks sitting in the rear loungers it would be worse. I ended up ordering a standard 3 tube tritoon and I believe that was the correct decision. I don't think the price was very different, maybe $900. Trust me I know what you are going through because they are very expensive. Personally, I plan to keep this boat for 25+ years so I tried to get everything that I could. I hope this helps.

Depending on your usage, a 2 toons 32"elip tube will out run any 3 toon boat in a straight line. If raw speed is what u want go twin elip 32". If uu want to corner and such, go 3 toons. Given same hp, 2 toons are faster straight line. If u want to maneuver and such, 3 toons are t he way to go

Todd

Back