Just wanted to share with my Benny friends...

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I haven’t been on the forum much in the last couple of weeks. Two weeks ago, today, my mom and uncle rushed my dad (my hero) to the emergency room. He is a lifelong asthmatic, emphysema, and has COPD.

When I got to the hospital on Saturday afternoon, they had already admitted him to ICU. They found that he had Pneumonia in one lung. My dad had a fear of suffocating in his eyes. He was having a terrible time breathing. It was heartbreaking.

Now, the following is a series of condition updates that my brother and I posted to keep the thousands of prayer warriors informed. If you believe in God, this will show you evidence of his mighty power. If you don’t, then I’m surely not going to beat you over the head with my religion. You can simply believe that he’s a very lucky man.

Starting last Saturday, this is the last two weeks of our life.

Sunday, September 9, 2018 9:57AM

I would appreciate your prayers. My Dad is in the ICU with a tough hill to climb fighting double pneumonia. Grateful for so many who made it possible for me to be here with him. We really need some prayer warriors!

Randy’s post: 7:19AM

To my friends, I’m asking for prayers for my sweet daddy. He’s in critical condition, in the Baptist ICU. He’s got double pneumonia, and is in a vulnerable state at this time. The doctor said he’s got a big hump to make it over. His body is weak. They don’t move him because they said he’s body couldn’t take it right now. God is good. God knows his needs. God knows how much we love this man.

Sunday night: Doctor gave little hope for Dad making it through the night. 100% oxygen, PEEP 14.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:17AM

Update on Dad: as of 6 am, there has been no significant change from last night. Though we had hoped he would have begun to improve, we are satisfied that he is still in a position where his body has a chance to heal. I’m convinced it CAN, should God will it, but we really need you to go boldly before the throne on our behalf, if you will. Since medicine has taken him as far as he can go, if my dad is healed, God, alone, gets the glory. Thanks so much to all who have joined us in this journey! We love you!

September 11, 2018 8:12PM

I attempted three times to write an update on Dad, but couldn’t get my brain to think straight. So I asked if my brother had posted an update. He said yes, so I deleted mine and am reposting his here. Please do not let up on your prayers, please! We are trusting God for grace to see our Dad through. The doctor said Dad is strong and is fighting valiantly. They are fighting hard, medically, and we are fighting, too. Even so, it is our God who is our Strong Tower and Mighty Fortress! Soli Deo Gloria! Pray for us.

Here are the details from today:

“He’s still very critical. IF he stays as stable as he is now, they will start backing off of the respirator to test his body’s ability to make up for when the machine is back off in very small increments. Then, if his body is strong enough, they will continue with the baby steps. Then if all works out the way it’s needed, they will ease back on the anesthesia. It’s going to be a slow process. ‘I will praise you in the storm.’”

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:30PM

I just went in to see him. Looks a bit better. Kidney function is better. They’ve taken him off of two very powerful blood pressure meds and replaced with a single one of lesser strength which is also good. No marked improvements on the lung function, but if nothing changes there right now, not losing ground means that his lungs have more time to heal, which is a major goal. Doc said it’s a better day than yesterday, so we’ll take that.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:20AM

Dad had another good night (Praise God!). We will talk to the doctor in a little while, but the nurse anticipates they will try to ease off the pressure they are maintaining on his lungs and see how he responds. All they’ve done, he’s responded well to so far. He’s still critical, so please don’t let up praying since it is God, alone, who is sustaining him. I’ll let you know if the doc says anything different. Thank you all so much!

September 13, 2018, 5:18PM

5PM - Dad has had a good day so far. Lung pressure on the ventilator was lowered a few points and he responded well. They reduced his anesthesia for a while and he was a bit active. Heart rate remained pretty stable (which is good), but when we went in and started talking to him, it started to climb. Though the medical team wants him quiet to continue healing, we still liked that hearing us made his heart race! . Kidney function continues to be good and his lungs are slowly clearing as antibiotics seem to be working (no spike in white blood cell count and no fever). The worst time for us is first thing every morning when we go back to get the report from overnight. It’s been good, but we’re always a bit uneasy. Please pray for us, but of course, please continue mainly petitioning the Throne Room for our Dad. He is still critical and not out of the words yet. We love y’all and will update again with any new developments.

Friday, September 14, 2018 8:45AM

8:45 am update: Doc just left to give us the morning report. Basically, a little bit better. Dad held his own throughout the night with some changes on his respirator (which was good), but he’s still very sick. The doc says until they can get the oxygen setting down from 100% on the vent, he’s still very guarded and “we have no room for error.” Translated: PRAY. Please stick with us in prayer—that’s why my Dad is still here. The medical options really ran out four days ago. God, alone, is sustaining Him and God, alone, will heal Him, should He choose to. Overall, good news but still a long way to go. Thank you all so much for standing with us! We love you.

September 14, 2018 10:00PM

Final Friday update 10 PM: Just left the ICU a few minutes ago, spending time talking with Dad’s nurses. They have reduced his oxygen level on his ventilator from 100% to 90% and tonight he’s tolerating it. If the report in the morning confirms that, then they’ll probably drop a bit more. That’s great news. Please pray some “targeted” prayer for those lungs to clear and the vent to continue to come down. Also, please pray for a family we’ve been ministering to here that is faced with removing their 60 year-old father from life support tomorrow following an allergic reaction to a wasp sting. Thanks, everyone. We love you!

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Quick update, 11:51 am: Dad’s ventilator is down to 85, which is moving in the right direction. I really need for our prayer warriors to ask specifically for crazy healing on his lungs today. I believe we can see marked improvement as God responds to His people and displays His glory through His power. Whatever God does, though, He will be praised.

Ventilator is now down to 70% and Dad is holding steady. Please keep praying!

September 15, 2018 1:28PM

We’re going to try to “encourage” Mom to rest and nap this afternoon. After 8 days in this hospital, she is starting to wear down. It will be a great help to us if we can keep visitors to a minimum today since, if you know my mom, she feels like she has to entertain. Please keep praying for us. All of your comments and likes help us know you care. Thanks so much and we’ll keep everyone posted!

September 15, 2018 7:44PM

Cheering on the Bulldogs for my Dad tonight! Praying we can do it together again soon. #HailState

September 15, 2018 9:01PM

Final Saturday Update: As I’ve already mentioned, Dad’s ventilator has been moved down to 70%, which is a praise! Now I’m asking you pray with me that his blood gas numbers will be high tomorrow morning, which will mean they’re giving him too much oxygen and they’ll drop it again. Trusting and believing God for great things! Thank you!

Sunday, September 16, 2018 7:32AM

We had another good night. Blood gases held steady, so they’ll probably continue weaning Dad off of the oxygen today. Please pray that he continues to respond positively and they’ll also be able to reduce the pressure on his lungs. Thanks everyone!

September 16, 2018 10:02PM

Doc just came in. Encouraging report! Though we’re not out of the woods yet, we’re starting to see the light. Vent down to 65% and they’re going to reduce the pressure several points. Praise God! Please keep praying. Our new prayer focus is 50% and pressure is 8. One step at a time.

Randy Update for Sunday morning, September 16.

Oxygen has been dropped to 60 from where it started at 100.

They just dropped the peep on the ventilator to 8, down from 12 this morning, and down from the beginning number of 14. They want to be at 5, so we are fast approaching that point the docs said they want him at.

His lungs are maintaining the pressure after adjustments. (The peep is the pressure that keeps his lungs from collapsing when air is exhaled.)

The respiratory nurse said she expects him to be fine. Still in critical condition, and will remain in the ICI until all vitals are stable, after the ventilator is removed.

Please continue to pray specifically for his lungs. They are clearing, slowly, but X-ray this morning showed they ARE getting better.

Please continue to target your prayers on his lungs. Love to all of you. Hallelujah!

Monday, September 17, 2018 8:58AM

Monday morning update: Dr. just came by. Pleased with progress over the weekend. Not planning on dropping the vent any more today. Wants to let the lungs rest and heal today/get used to the work they’re doing and probably drop again tomorrow. Still in the woods, but he’s encouraged. Infectious Disease doctor was called in for a second pair of eyes (which I was hoping they’d do). He added one medication just to make sure Dad is covered, but didn’t change much. Please keep praying. God is being so gracious listening to our prayers and responding according to His mercy. He gets all credit and glory.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:00AM

Tuesday morning update: Doc just left and said everything is still going in the right direction. Probably not going to make any changes on the vent today but, instead, going to work on sedation. Heart rate was up a bit overnight which he thinks is probably related to Dad coming to a little bit, becoming somewhat aware of surroundings, but unable to respond in any way. He’s going to change to a different sedative so that he can begin coming to, but still remain relaxed. Everything else doing just fine. Please pray that everything continues in the direction and that he’ll be able to successfully come out of sedation. Thanks, everyone! We love and appreciate you!

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Wednesday morning update: Earlier this morning, we went in to see Dad and I said to him, “Dad, I love you. Do you know that?” He nodded his head! Even better, the doc just left and said he got Dad to actually wake up wide-eyed, looked at him and responded the whole time he was talking to him. Dad’s eyes followed him as he moved, which is, of course, great news! He’s still not ready to come down on the vent, but he thinks it may just need more time to heal. Sending him down for a CT scan of lungs today and will go ahead and check his head to make sure nothing has been damaged, but he’s not concerned—just being thorough. Talked to us about putting a port in Dad’s side for feeding and a tracheostomy in his throat so that they can get all the tubes out of his nose and mouth and will help him wean off of the vent quicker, because they can easily disconnect it from his throat and let him breathe and put it back on where they can’t do that now with it being down his throat. He asked if we were ok with that and we both said it’s a no-brainer, so unless he can wean him off before Monday, they will do that then. It’s not permanent and can eventually be just pulled out and bandaged over which will seal up on its on. Because everything else is doing well, he’s not concerned about leaving him on the vent for a while at a lower percentage. Thanks for your continued prayers! Clearly, it’s God’s grace and response to our prayer that he is doing so well. Please continue. We love you and are so grateful for you!

Final Wednesday update 9PM: Just left Dad’s room. Three times today that I’ve been in there, I’ve been able to communicate with him (an answer to my personal prayers!). Tonight, I asked him if he knew where he was and he shook his head that he didn’t. So, I explained where he was and why that tube was down his throat. He nodded. He didn’t remember getting sick or coming to the hospital which, according to the condition he was in, is probably a blessing! I asked if he could feel me holding his hand and he nodded. Then I asked if he could squeeze it and he nodded again and then ever so lightly, I felt him squeeze! As thrilled and overjoyed as I am to have him alert, in some ways it’s almost harder, if that makes sense, because I know he’s confused and perhaps even a little afraid (at least as afraid as Superman can get!). I think it’s been helpful seeing familiar faces coming in. Medically, his heart rate was down to about 78, which is so much better. His blood pressure is slightly elevated, though they’re not really concerned as their keeping it in check. Oxygen levels are still good and so I prayed over him and wished him a good night. Please help us see this through with your continued prayers. It’s hard seeing my Dad like that, but I know he’s getting great care here and I know he’s covered by your prayers and guarded by the Mighty Hand of our Father. Thank you all so much. We really do love you!

September 20, 2018 8:30AM

Thursday morning update: Doc just left pretty upbeat! Dad is fully alert and everything continues trending positively. He’s going to reduce the oxygen to 50% today and feels Dad is doing so well that he’s going to move up a couple of procedures for tomorrow that he was going to wait until Monday to do. Both procedures will get the tubes out of his mouth and nose, which will help Dad get off the ventilator quicker and prevent the sinusitis that he’s already showing signs of with that stuff in his nose. The doctor said this wasn’t the outcome he thought we were going to get, but is thrilled it’s the outcome we seem to be getting. There is absolutely no reason that we should have gotten this except that God, in His mercy and in loving and compassionate response to your constant petitioning His throne, has decreed it. We’re not done yet, though! Doc said he can’t fully say he’s out of the woods because he’s still on the vent, but we’re “in the field at the edge of the woods.” I’ll take that! Thank you all so much (I know I keep saying this, but it’s true!)—we are grateful and humbled by your love and support! God is giving us tremendous strength through you! We love you all.

September 21, 2018 8:20AM

Friday morning update: Dad had a good night. He was alert when Mom and I we went in. We explained that he’s going to get the tube out of his mouth today. I asked if he wanted more detail and he said yes, so I told him there would be a procedure to move the tubes out of his mouth and nose without giving any more detail. We are excited for him to get that out, mainly because it means he’s making good progress, but also because his mouth is in bad shape from the rubbing and suctioning going on for the last two weeks. I know he gets frustrated because he tries to mouthe words to us, but we can’t make it out with all the tubes in the way. We’ve not been told specifically when the procedure will be done, but we’ve been told it will be this morning. On another note, along with prayers for Dad, I am asking you pray for the rest of the family. If all goes well today and the doctor feels good about it, I will be traveling back to Chattanooga tomorrow. For me, it’s going to be extremely hard to leave Dad, especially this early in his recovery and not be able to continue helping Mom. I have to say how grateful I am to my wife and kids and my church for being SO supportive of me being here for so long. I couldn’t have asked for more! For Pam and Randy, my leaving means that a third of the help and support for both Mom and Dad will be gone and they’ll have more on their plate, which I hate. This is going to be a long road but we’re all happy to be able to walk it! We appreciate all of the support you continue to give through your words of encouragement. I’ll update more as we get more details about the surgery. Thanks, everyone!

Randy has posted the latest update after surgery:

Friday afternoon, September 21, 2:50pm. Came out of surgery. He’s doing fine. We’ve been able to spend time with him. He’s still a little groggy, but responding well. His mouth is very sore from the dryness. He wants water so bad. When we asked if he wanted water, he made a very serious “yes” look. They can’t allow anything into his mouth that has a chance of running into his lungs, and making matters worse. So thankful for his progress. He’s doing great! Keep the prayers coming. God is healing Daddy’s body.

And it is now, Saturday, September 22, morning. Dad is still in ICU, but is more alert. He still can’t speak, but we’re still patiently awaiting the next miracle.

Randy,

There are so many tough moments during a crisis such as this, but as many believe, a relationship with Jesus is fundamental to pretty much everything in life. My Father, gone for many years now, was "coded" on 2 separate occasions after long illnesses, clinically dead, such that we said our good-bye's then and there. On both occasions, the doctors through some miracle, seemed to bring him back, he healed, and continued on into his mid 70's. Of course, we also prayed non-stop, along with many others in our family's faith community. The second time, in the hospital ICU, our Doctor told him, "I never in my wildest dreams thought you'd be sitting here talking to me again, but you should also know that nothing in the course of your treatment or medicine can fully explain what has happened here".

Mark 10:27 - "And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men [it is] impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible."

I'll pray for your family, and for your Father's continued healing, because I know the above to be true.

Randy,
Thoughts and prayers for your Dad and hope all goes well.

I just lost my Dad on 9/11. He was a proud retired Marine Captain and was 82 when he passed. He too had lung issues which were the result of Chemo after suffering from Hodgkins Lymphoma a few years back. This all stemmed from his exposure to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam. Mom lives about 5 hours away in Green Valley (AZ) so I've been spending much of my time down there helping her out. His service is delayed to November 10th which is appropriate since that is Veterans Weekend and also the Marine Corps Birthday. This also gives the rest of my family time to make travel arrangements.

Rest In Peace Dad until we meet again...

Very sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine in 1988 due to cancer. Prayers to you and your dad.

Thank you, so much, for the responses. On forums, I’m hesitant to post such as this, but there is a certain family feel among you. My dad will be 87 on October 1. He and my mom will be celebrating their 65th anniversary on February 4. He’s a strong man to have come this far after he was not supposed to make it through the night, 2 weeks ago. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

God is Great. So sorry for what you all are going through but God is in control.

Randy thoughts and prayers with your Dad and your family!

You guys are top shelf!

Havasua, I am so sorry for your recent loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Randy, Thoughts and prayers with your father (and you and the family) as he recovers. May his recovery improve day by day.

Prayers for your Dad and your family. Made me miss my Dad who passed away in 2009 after spending the last 10 years of his life in my home

Thanks for sharing Randy. This might be a boat forum but it’s a comradery forum first. I’ll keep your dad in my prayers as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss Havasu.

Prayers and well wishes for you both. As life always passes by so fast it takes these events in our lives to slow down and appreciate the people and the world around us they help create. Past/present/future.

Prayers for you and your entire family Randy. Lost my Dad 15 years ago. Not a day goes by that I wish I could talk to him again........

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family Randy.

Back