Keep Seagulls Off Playpen

Kyle Roach

Reaction score
Was seeing what you guys use to scare or protect your boat from seagulls. Luckily i have the boats playpen on when not using but trying to keep the cover from bird crap. The boat is in the saltwater for the season. IMO the bigger the boat, the more birds like to crap seems like. Thanks

Never had a seagull on our boat but we've had a few blue herons. In Virginia I tied a couple foil pie plates to the Bimini and it kept the birds away for the most part. IMG_20180820_152758320.jpg

I use plastic bird spikes on our Bimini. After 3 times of a heron using our toon as a toilet, I got the sh**s of cleaning it up. So far so good. I use ball bungees to hold them on so quick and simple to remove. Haven’t had any issues yet. They like a couple toons a couple docks over cause they let their biminis open. They are almost pure white with gull crap. I gave some spikes to a friend couple docks over and gulls are staying off his so far. I think they tend to start on the Bimini, then when not enough room, they land on mooring cover. If you keep them off the bimini, that’s half the battle.

ROCKET STRAPS | 25PC Ball Bungees Canopy Ties | Extreme Heavy Duty Extra Long 11" x 5mm | Tarp Ties Ball Bungee Cord Tie Downs | And Large Bag | UV Re https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R3L44B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ZESaVT2NReOAk

Bird-X Plastic Polycarbonate Bird Spikes Kit with Adhesive Glue, Covers 10 feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019F8IX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_imMHBbA2S7P50

I also have never had an issue in 2 different marinas . I do believe the seaguls dont like Red . Others at my marina with different colors have had some issues ,the 2 - 3 red boats nothing

Red must be the local bird gang color so they leave it alone.

That’s funny cause the two boats crapped up are blue .... hmmmm ...

There is a boat in my cove having a problem and his bimini and cover is also blue. Good to know.

Oh and it's not seagulls so the blue attraction thing isn't limited to one bird species. I believe his feathered crapper is Blue Heron (no color pun intended but it does make you think).

There is a boat in my cove having a problem and his bimini and cover is also blue. Good to know.

Oh and it's not seagulls so the blue attraction thing isn't limited to one bird species. I believe his feathered crapper is Blue Heron (no color pun intended but it does make you think).
Glenn see the Blue heron in my pic above on top of the Bimini. There were 2 right before I took the pic but one flew away. It was on my light pole. No crap anywhere.....Hmmm wonder what the range is of my 9mm. (Kidding)

I have noticed at our lake the gulls seem to like the dark colors for sure. Black seems to be the color of choice. Ugg I have a black playpen cover!!! So far so good! Other black covered boats have not faired as well, it seems the birds like the boats on the ends of the dock overlooking the water, especially ones with dark covers. Mine is the 4th boat out from shore with another 8 or so between me and open water. I hope this stays this way and the birds stay away. They also seem to like the metal roof on the boat dealer building. I will try to get some picks next time out.

Back