Keeping the Toons Looking Great

A guy on another forum had his done at a truck stop for around $300.00 I htink. He was very happy with the work.
That is cheaper than I thought. I wonder if it was a small boat.

24' two log.

They don't polish the insides right? I don't see why someone would except the front and back couple feet, especially on a tri toon where you can' tree in there.

I would do the inside ,it would still help wiping the scum off .

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep it on a lift so scum isn't an issue.

No lift at the marina ,in fact I just got the bill .They put a note in with the bill that ,they have a covered slip that has opened up ,for another  grand a season . No Thanks , I can cover my boat .

Jack, what's your open one cost? Our is like $640 for the season. I agree, it's not worth another 1k to me, but if it was like 6k vs. 7k, that would be food for thought.

Open is $1500 ,covered is $2500 .

I moved to the west side of the docks this season 

New Slip 

This no baloney ,This  is the only other marina in the area .It is over 100 years old and looks like if is falling down .

As you can see in the pic ,an arch or tower could not even get in .

ryde4.jpg

So can you get to Burt & Mullet lake off of your lake? Looks like a lock going up to Burt from yours. If so, you got some awesome coverage of lakes from there.

I'm guessing your docks on the right side of this pic?

f5b8919d1c81367425aed385cfec5acf.jpg

Last year I was on the right . This year we moved over .

In this pick the docks are not in yet . Actually they extend to 50 slips .

They use a bubbler on the ones shown in the winter

So can you get to Burt & Mullet lake off of your lake? Looks like a lock going up to Burt from yours. If so, you got some awesome coverage of lakes from there.
If needed we can get all they way to Lake Huron .

I have been told ,years ago they wanted to connect Lake Michigan to Crooked Lake .

They would have dug a channel on the east end of Little Traverse Bay ,to Round Lake and another to connect Round to Crooked .

400px-Inland_Waterway_US_MI.svg.png

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/inlandwater/index.html

Just another testament to Sharkhide, this was my Q25 that I traded off last fall for the new one. This is how the boat looked after two seasons of use in the water. Other than a frequent wash with lake water and a few touch-up spots over the course of two seasons, no other work was needed to keep it looking nice.

As far as polishing the inside of the tubes, I've never done that. It would be an incredible amount of work that no one would ever see.

Polishing and Sharkhide will not prevent scum build up on the toons. To eliminate any build-up, just a frequent wet wipe down ( about once a month) with lake water will prevent any build-up.

Very nice toon there BigBlock !!!!!

Love the pics -- good validation of spending the $$ on the sharkhide.

Great feedback by all, This is why this group and site is one of the best out there. 

Best "Short Winter" Regards

Joe

Last Spring (I live in Michigan) I used Gord's polish then Sharkhide protectant.  My toons ended up much nicer than they were (had a very dull look prior...no shine at all) but this year I'm going to use Sharkhide polish as well (instead of the Gord's) and see how that works.  That Gord's is liquid and man what a mess (although I did prepare for that).  The Sharkhide is thicker so I am hoping for less of a mess and improved shine.  We will see.

The Sharkhide metal protectant is easy as pie to apply and made post-season cleanup (to remove the thin layer of slime) effortless.

Where you been Keith? Haven't seen you on here in a while.............Did you ever get those old corner cleats off?

Hibernating with the rest of the humans up here....lol.  My 2 year old twins keep me quite busy as well!  :wacko:

Did you ever get those old corner cleats off??????

I never found anyone who could tell me how to do it so I took it to the largest Bennington dealer in Michigan (Wilson Marine) and they did it for me.  He said he had to remove that metal stripping underneath.  It took HIM an hour or more to do it with all the right tools and everything so I'm glad I didn't mess with it anymore than I did.  He put the same cleats on the stern that I had put on myself on the bow (the nice new large ones that say Bennington on the top) so now all 4 are new.  Sure looks nice....really nice.  My 1/2 inch dock line will easily slip through the middle of the cleat opening as well.

Back