Kicker KMC 10 "Dead" on my new Bennington!

dasto

Reaction score
I have a NEW Bennington, just 3 weeks old. One speaker has static during play, the other 3 are OK. The speakers are shown as "Kicker Speaker Upgrade" on our pontoon factory option listing. Today as we were listening to music, the KMC 10 just totally quit. Screen totally blank and not illuminated. Fuse checked and good. Power verified to head unit. Ridiculous considering it's a new boat and what we paid. I'm guessing that we will have to go through a third party (Kicker) to get a resolution. I would rather have quality equipment to begin with and not the hassle of a warranty claim.

My kicker (same setup) is junk too. Works sporadically.. the volume is a joke.. barely any volume until I return to 45 and above.

I called Kicker directly and they said they don't even make these units. A off label company does (VPS?) and they just slap their name on it. Very unreliable unit even according to kicker tech support.

Welcome, dasto. Sorry your introduction to the forum is about a problem.

That should be covered by the bow-to-stern warranty, though it’s doubtless a pain.

Some pix of your new Benny are essential!

Unfortunate the Kicker has not worked for a couple of you. Mine has been great use the Warranty as it should be a very easy fix.

Unfortunate the Kicker has not worked for a couple of you. Mine has been great use the Warranty as it should be a very easy fix.
What is the warranty process? I assume Bennington will say file with Kicker.

dasto, call your dealer to begin the warranty process. Like every other vehicle manufacturer out there, Bennington does not make every component that becomes part of their boat. It sounds to me like you got a bad unit, which if true, will be replaced as many times as needed for the next ten years.

dasto, call your dealer to begin the warranty process. Like every other vehicle manufacturer out there, Bennington does not make every component that becomes part of their boat. It sounds to me like you got a bad unit, which if true, will be replaced as many times as needed for the next ten years.
OK, thanks! I emailed the dealer yesterday but no response. Customers are impatient, especially in todays world. I'll try to be more patient.

After I straightened out the antenna under the helm my KMC 10 worked ok. However it is partial to one station which it plays reasonably well. Welcome to the forum and sorry about your problem. Your dealer will remedy it. BTW tell us about your boat and post pictures.

After I straightened out the antenna under the helm my KMC 10 worked ok. However it is partial to one station which it plays reasonably well. Welcome to the forum and sorry about your problem. Your dealer will remedy it. BTW tell us about your boat and post pictures.
As you can probably tell, I am totally new to boating. My wife of over 43 years always wanted one. I finally gave in.
Our Bennington is a 21 SLXP with SPS. We went with a Yamaha 150HP motor. Options are:
Accent Panel, KMC10 Stereo Upgrade, Striker 4 Fish Graph, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, Trap Teak Table, Portable Cupholder, Battery On/Off Switch, Rub Rail Protector, Privacy Option, Heavy Duty Rub Rail, Stainless Docking Lights, Ski Tow Bar, Stainless Prop

Wow, sounds like you bought your last boat first! Good move on your part. Yeah, when you pay that much for something it is disappointing when it isn't perfect, but it happens from time to time. Your dealer and Bennington will make it right and continue to do so for the next ten years. Enjoy...

I had the same problem with my KMC10 after just 2 months. Head unit just died and would not turn on. I called my dealer and they swapped it out for me same day. Well see how long this one lasts. There is a new version of this head unit on the Bennington web site. KMC100. Has additional outputs.

I had the same problem with my KMC10 after just 2 months. Head unit just died and would not turn on. I called my dealer and they swapped it out for me same day. Well see how long this one lasts. There is a new version of this head unit on the Bennington web site. KMC100. Has additional outputs.
Yes, sounds exactly like what happened to our unit. I really appreciate all the responses to our problem. Hopefully I will hear back from the dealer soon.

First, congratulations on the new boat. Sounds like you went for it. Smart move. That boat will easily be a forever boat with the way you ordered it. Looking forward to pictures when you can upload some of it.

As for the dang stereo, sorry you have a hiccup like that. Frustrating for sure. However, the bow to stern warranty is just that. If its defective, it will get replace or fixed. At least with it being the radio, they can just order and swap the unit. Quick and easy. If you don’t hear back from the dealer in about 2 days, I’d go ahead and call them. Some dealers are very email responsive, others are more phone responsive.

We have a KMC 10 from 2017, and never have had an issue beyond the antennae/reception issue due to being in the helm. I also don’t remember any posts here or on FB of people having problems with their units from 2016-18. However, this year, there have been a flurry of posts on various sites with people having problems with their Kicker units shutting down, turning off, etc... I have to think something has changed with the manufacturing of those units going into 2019, and it’s not something for the better.

First, congratulations on the new boat. Sounds like you went for it. Smart move. That boat will easily be a forever boat with the way you ordered it. Looking forward to pictures when you can upload some of it.

As for the dang stereo, sorry you have a hiccup like that. Frustrating for sure. However, the bow to stern warranty is just that. If its defective, it will get replace or fixed. At least with it being the radio, they can just order and swap the unit. Quick and easy. If you don’t hear back from the dealer in about 2 days, I’d go ahead and call them. Some dealers are very email responsive, others are more phone responsive.

We have a KMC 10 from 2017, and never have had an issue beyond the antennae/reception issue due to being in the helm. I also don’t remember any posts here or on FB of people having problems with their units from 2016-18. However, this year, there have been a flurry of posts on various sites with people having problems with their Kicker units shutting down, turning off, etc... I have to think something has changed with the manufacturing of those units going into 2019, and it’s not something for the better.
Thanks. I will feel better when this is resolved. I have now called the dealer, transferred to warranty guy and got VM. Now waiting for call back. I am 4 hours from the dealer and hoping that they can just send me a new head unit.

10 years ... bow to stern (excluding motor/rigging).

Knock wood, I've got the same KCM-10 and have had no problems thus far. Like Vikingstaff suggested, I've not read about any problems with this unit but it sounds like there may be a recent change in reliability. Thank goodness for the ten year warranty!

Actually, several people have posted that although they could have done their own upgrade at a lesser price, given the hard-to-beat warranty, they chose not to.

I just had to replace mine a couple of weeks ago. Dealer gave me a new one, I swapped it out and brought back the bad one. Couldn't of been easier. Mine lasted 1 season, bought our boat last year.

Dealer replaced our radio last year and didn’t even want the original one back after I switched them. Just gave me the new one when it came in a week later. It was 6 1/2 years old and hadn’t worked for a season and a half when I thought to do it before the warranty ran out. We really don’t use it a lot. It was a Sony that came with the boat we bought off the lot.

Dealer replaced our radio last year and didn’t even want the original one back after I switched them. Just gave me the new one when it came in a week later. It was 6 1/2 years old and hadn’t worked for a season and a half when I thought to do it before the warranty ran out. We really don’t use it a lot. It was a Sony that came with the boat we bought off the lot.

Don’t...really...use...it. The radio? That just sent shivers down my spine. Ha,ha. :D

Back