KMC 10 Overheating using Bluetooth

steven harp

Reaction score
I have a new Bennington with KMC 10 that overheats while using bluetooth. After about 30 minutes it gets so hot you barely touch it, then disconnects or shuts off. I've tried covering with a white shirt, bimini up. Anyone else having a problem? Thanks

We stream music via Bluetooth to our KMC 10 all the time. Long and short stretches, and all day stretches. The actual KMC 10 has never heated up like you describe. Gotta be faulty. I’d contact dealer about warranty replacement since it’s in coverage.

What Jeff said!

One thing that could cause problems is if the source (android, other) has it's volume turned all the way up whereby the signal coming over BT is clipped and you are listening at a relatively high level on the boat. Then the head unit will just reproduce this clipped signal which will make the amplifier inside run hot. It's best practice to run your source device (phone) at 50% volume or lower and then adjust the head unit for the desired level. Might give that a try.

One thing that could cause problems is if the source (android, other) has it's volume turned all the way up whereby the signal coming over BT is clipped and you are listening at a relatively high level on the boat. Then the head unit will just reproduce this clipped signal which will make the amplifier inside run hot. It's best practice to run your source device (phone) at 50% volume or lower and then adjust the head unit for the desired level. Might give that a try.

I never knew that. Any day you learn something is a good day. Thanks for making my day a good day.

Just thought I would update my post. Dealer did have to replace radio and Roswell amp(I guess amp was overheating also).
Seems to work great w/no overheating issues after 7hrs so far.

i have a 18 q25 just took out for first time and was having similiar issues, the amp would kick on and play for a while then kick off, like it was getting hot,also noticed my very front or rear speakers arent working

i have a 18 q25 just took out for first time and was having similiar issues, the amp would kick on and play for a while then kick off, like it was getting hot,also noticed my very front or rear speakers arent working

Bummer! At least it’s under warranty. Have you checked in with your dealer/service center so they can start moving forward with the warranty problem, or are you going to deal with it in the off season (if you have an off season)?

Bummer! At least it’s under warranty. Have you checked in with your dealer/service center so they can start moving forward with the warranty problem, or are you going to deal with it in the off season (if you have an off season)?
my dealer here doesnt care about anything if you didnt buy from them, i bought boat with a couple hrs on it so couldnt pass the deal up,when i was selling my last benny, they wouldnt even do a sea trial or inspect boat for the guy for me even if i pd, and they serviced it the whole time.. i will just replace or take to stereo shop

my dealer here doesnt care about anything if you didnt buy from them, i bought boat with a couple hrs on it so couldnt pass the deal up,when i was selling my last benny, they wouldnt even do a sea trial or inspect boat for the guy for me even if i pd, and they serviced it the whole time.. i will just replace or take to stereo shop

Wow! Any other Bennington dealers within a reasonable distance? They may get to decide if they “take on business”, but I do not believe they can refuse warranty work if they are a Bennington dealer. If they give you problems, I’d reach out to Bennington with the concerns: both the stereo issues and dealership issues. I don’t think Bennington is going to want a dealer needless yanking a customers chain on very minor warranty issue on a Q25.

Wow! Any other Bennington dealers within a reasonable distance? They may get to decide if they “take on business”, but I do not believe they can refuse warranty work if they are a Bennington dealer. If they give you problems, I’d reach out to Bennington with the concerns: both the stereo issues and dealership issues. I don’t think Bennington is going to want a dealer needless yanking a customers chain on very minor warranty issue on a Q25.

Warranty must be transferred by a dealer during resale. If this was not done, technically the boats not warranted.

“Transferability - the Limited lifetime structural warranty and wood component warranty is transferable within ten (l0) years of the original purchase date of the boat. Once transferred, coverage extends for a maximum of ten (l0) years from date of original purchase. Completion of a warranty transfer is required through an authorized Bennington dealer.
The warranties listed below are transferable during the warranty period. A warranty transfer is required through an authorized Bennington dealer.”

Warranty must be transferred by a dealer during resale. If this was not done, technically the boats not warranted.

“Transferability - the Limited lifetime structural warranty and wood component warranty is transferable within ten (l0) years of the original purchase date of the boat. Once transferred, coverage extends for a maximum of ten (l0) years from date of original purchase. Completion of a warranty transfer is required through an authorized Bennington dealer.
The warranties listed below are transferable during the warranty period. A warranty transfer is required through an authorized Bennington dealer.”

Nowhere does it say they didn’t transfer the warranty. I guess it’s hard for me to imagine buying a used 2018 Q25 and not having the warranty transferred.

No, I just assumed by his response, as he didn’t mention it should be covered, but you did. I thought same thing, BUT, just in case it was a private sale that didn’t include the transfer, he may have given up a good warranty possibility.

Back