Knee/wake boards

Mike31406

Reaction score
After two years of tubing I’d like to get our grandkids into knee/wake boards next year. The oldest is 12 and range down to 2. Any recommendations?

From personal experience knee boarding was/is easier. If you can launch from a beach even better, getting up from the water takes more muscle. Hope you're a patient individual. ;-)

My kids never got into kneeboarding. They went right into skiing when they were younger. There are trainer skis that are attached that make it easier for them then as they get older you can take the ropes off that hold them together. They now wake board but they both said skiing is so much easier!

That's great! Start 'em young!

If starting at knee boarding, try to get one that has the little cheater hook. It's a little hook that flips upwards on the front of the board to hook the rope handle into. That way the rider doesn't have to try to pull themselves up as well as hold onto the rope. Once they get up on the board and strap their knees in they just reach down and grab the handle and the hook flips back down.

I learned without one and you have to be pretty agile with pulling yourself up out of the water with your elbows!! And I'm not a little guy!

Thanks Derrick, that’s the type of information I need. Any suggestions as to what type of board?

We've always used HO Sports kneeboards, but hydroslide makes a good one also.

Mike31406,
I’m guessing if you look on YouTube you will find some great tips on teaching newbies how to knee board and ski. We have a knee board trainer that is great for teaching the younger ones. It has several stages of training starting at just kneeling on a board that has a blow up flotation. They just have to hold on to the rope attached to the trainer and someone on the boat holds on to the trainer rope. Once they learn balance and gain confidence they can hold on to the rope that the person on the boat is holding. Once they get this they can move on to the board without the floatation. It’s a process and it works great for the little ones. The trainer water skis work somewhat the same way, just a little more advanced. Teaching the older kids may be a bit more challenging but can be done. We have trained many kids and adults how to knee board and ski over the years. I wish I could say 100% successes but that would not be truthful. Derrick’s advice on learning the knee board is great. I have not seen the one with a hook for the rope but sounds great. The key to getting up on a board without the hook is elbow placement for balance and being able to pull your knees up under you, both knees have to be pulled up together, using your stomach muscles. This can be practiced on the boat. Good luck and remember!!! It’s all about the fun!!

PS: The Captain should pull the boarder or skier at slow speeds based on size and weight. Slow and easy.
Check out Airhead EZ wake trainer.

Last edited:
ThanksCapKaz

We just bought a cheap knee board from Dunhams sports that has a molded in cheater hook like Derrick mentioned. Makes it super easy to get up as you don't have to hold the rope. Here is me from a couple years ago. You'll see me do the "look mom, no hands" as the tow rope is "hooked" onto the knee board. I have a bad back and surprisingly, knee boarding is easier on it than skiing.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Back