L Shape vs Co Captains Chair

I know I sound like a broken record but...……..the motor is too small to take advantage of the SPS and tow bar.
ok.....so you have me curious about your insight into the choice of a 115 hp yamaha for our 20' SSRX. What do you mean that we are not taking advantage of the SPS package with this motor. what is lacking without a minimum of a 150 HP? How fast will this boat go with this motor if we have 6 people and 1 tuber? how fast if we have 4 people riding only? I am not sure what the deal is on performance with the 115 hp motor. Can't I pull a tuber with people riding too?

A 115 might be fine for what yo want to do with the boat. Yes it will pull a tube with people on the boat. I have an older 3 tube boat with strakes on all 3 tubes which doesn't turn well. The SPS solves the turning problem and the 150 just completes the package. There are people that have upgraded after owning the 115. Either way, you will enjoy whatever choice you make.

QUOTE="rickycz, post: 126833, member: 12753"]ok.....so you have me curious about your insight into the choice of a 115 hp yamaha for our 20' SSRX. What do you mean that we are not taking advantage of the SPS package with this motor. what is lacking without a minimum of a 150 HP? How fast will this boat go with this motor if we have 6 people and 1 tuber? how fast if we have 4 people riding only? I am not sure what the deal is on performance with the 115 hp motor. Can't I pull a tuber with people riding too?[/QUOTE]

I stumbled across the article below which is about HP and Pontoons. I thought it kind of connected to this discussion. Perhaps just some extra food for thought.

I think it all depends on intended typical use, future use as family grows or shrinks, and budget. Those are sometimes tough to balance. I think the article below somewhat mimics adivce in these forums over time.

I think a 115 HP certainly hits an introductory spot for still being able to do some light water sports, and cruising around with no problem. With a light load, it can deliver a sporty ride on and SPS tritoon. If loaded up heavily, then it gets sluggish more quickly, and may not have the get up and go for some watesports enthusiasts.

A 150 HP steps up the watersport options, even with a good load on the boat. It has nice hole shot and overall is going to sustain speed and handling with more people on it. Overall its a very good performer for its cost.

200 HP and up starts to really move into a sport boat speed and handling direction with little drop off when under load. Hole shot is going to be great in almost all load situations, and really you are just tweaking top in speed as you go up from here in HP.

https://www.bridgemarina.com/blog/how-much-horsepower-should-i-get-for-my-new-pontoon-boat--10117

The sps is awesome, I have it on my 24 sslx. The challenge lies with the 115. My prior boat was a 22 sslx which was a two toon boat with lifting strakes and a 115. With a light load it was great, but with extra passengers it really bogged down. For us it was a disappointment performance wise and we sold it 3 months later and ordered what we have now. As long as you know what your getting, then you’ll be good.

I totally agree with CWag, and I have a Yamaha F115. If you have a boatload of people on it slogs down unbelievably. I have never towed any toys but I can imagine that on a sharp turn it will slog down dramatically. When I bought my boat in 2012 I also looked at used boats but could only find ones with a 40 or 60HP motor and knew it wasn't enough. If I decided to sell my boat I think people looking at mine will have a similar feeling when the see the 115. If I were to purchase a new boat my starting point motor would be the 200hp

Thank you for that article. The particular quote of:

“In short, 115hp and the right pontoon set up is a good all-around pontoon choice for lots of boaters (just note that the experience will feel just a bit sluggish and won’t completely get you into a “sporty” feel).”

It Certainly made my decision the correct one because we were not looking for a sporty boat, but rather an all-around pontoon!!!

Hahaha .... I laugh at all of your comments as I putz around with a 20 hanging off the back ... :p:p:p

We had our Benny built with port side dual reclining captains chairs knowing older family members would be more comfortable in a traditional chair with arm rests than lounging on a bench. Best decision we made.

My wife does not like duel captains chair. She love her bench and it works for us from conversation perspective. Since it is her seat it is her decision.:)
Bennington is custom building a R23 for us, taking out the co-captains chair and adding a forward facing lounger, should have it in 3 weeks. Cudos to Pill Dill in Dallas for making this happen!! Mostly our sales Rep Nathan who has sold us 3 other boats.

We had a boat built that was supposed to have duel captains, we swapped it for a forward facing bench. So our boat is a 1 only!

Bennington is custom building a R23 for us, taking out the co-captains chair and adding a forward facing lounger, should have it in 3 weeks. Cudos to Pill Dill in Dallas for making this happen!! Mostly our sales Rep Nathan who has sold us 3 other boats.

Is it the co-captains lounger? My wife loves ours on our G.

Removed Duel captains chairs from build added a long bench, for the wife to stretch out and face forward

Back