Ladder Modification

Boomers dad

Reaction score
I thought I would start a new post rather than highjack the other ladder post. On my boat I have the old style 3 step ladder. The one that is attached to a small aluminum platform mfg by Bearcat. This ladder proved to be very difficult for my wife ( bad hips ) to use . Even other younger healthier people found it to be a challange. I measured the ladder and it was 14" from the water line to the bottom step. My dealer had a old ladder of the same style. I had a rung cut off the old one and welded to my ladder. This modification increases the depth to approx. 24". It makes a tremendous differance and my wife can know get into the boat easily. I realize that this probably voids my warranty on the ladder however it was worth the risk. The welder did a good job. It doesn't look factory but I can live with it.

The new longer, curved bottom section ladder will retro fit to the older platforms with no modifications. I changed the one on mine and everybody loves it.

I thought I would start a new post rather than highjack the other ladder post. On my boat I have the old style 3 step ladder. The one that is attached to a small aluminum platform mfg by Bearcat. This ladder proved to be very difficult for my wife ( bad hips ) to use . Even other younger healthier people found it to be a challange. I measured the ladder and it was 14" from the water line to the bottom step. My dealer had a old ladder of the same style. I had a rung cut off the old one and welded to my ladder. This modification increases the depth to approx. 24". It makes a tremendous differance and my wife can know get into the boat easily. I realize that this probably voids my warranty on the ladder however it was worth the risk. The welder did a good job. It doesn't look factory but I can live with it.

Does anyone have pics of the new curved ladder? What model year was it introduced?

Thanks

Todd

I have the curved ladder on my 2012RL and they are right, it is no problem getting in from deep water, my old boat with a straight ladder was a PIA to get into

I believe it came on some late 2011 models, and many 2012 ones that use that style. Sorry I don't have a pic of mine at the moment.

Does anyone have pics of the new curved ladder? What model year was it introduced?

Thanks

Todd

Where did you get it and how much was it?? I called Bennington and they said it wouldn't fit! I want one, my ladder is way to high and difficult for even me to use.

BenningtonLadderUpgrade.jpg
They say it will not fit, but the fact is the new upper part is curved a bit to match the curve in the new lower ladder. The curved lower fits the older upper just fine as this picture shows. Your dealer should be able to buy a new lower for less than $90 or so.

BenningtonLadderUpgrade.jpg
They say it will not fit, but the fact is the new upper part is curved a bit to match the curve in the new lower ladder. The curved lower fits the older upper just fine as this picture shows. Your dealer should be able to buy a new lower for less than $90 or so.
LT1GMC,

Where did you get your port side ladder setup?

Can you take a pic of that setup. I want to do that on my RLi. I don't have an extended deck so I want to add ladder like yours has on that side. It has to be setup specifically for that side with spacer and handles

Try www.Greatlakesskipper.com for ladders and parts.

I checked them for port side ladder but they only had starboard side.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great ladder, but please remember that it attaches directly to the stern pontoon bulkhead. It also extends back 16" or so from the deck. In other words...it does not fit every model! Also remember that ladders are engineered for weight balance, structure and strength, so modifying a ladder is all on you :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do you know if the ladder would interfere with my tow rope coming of my retractable ski pole?? Also, did you get the later from your dealer?

Do you know if the ladder would interfere with my tow rope coming of my retractable ski pole?? Also, did you get the later from your dealer?
It may catch the rope if you are idling and dragging the rope around, but not when skiing or tubing with tension on the line. The ladder is shorter than my engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think the curved ladder on the old platform will perform ok with a 300lb guy on it?? I am not a little guy and want to make sure it will be ok. If so, I am going to add the 4 step curved ladder to my 2075gli.

My dealer says 150.00 to add the ladder to my 20 SLX, I like the curve and I am 250 pounds

I hope it works...They just replace the bottom section right ?

Ron

I was told it is a no go due to the frame not being designed to handle the pressure of the 4 step ladder. I just opted for the whole 4 step assembly platform and all for $465. I am going to try to sell the old platform for half of the cost of a new one.

Back