Lake and Marina “Neighbor” Rants:

Wind chimes, big, loud and lots of them along property line. You can take them down while you are there. Add big flags along your dock, whatever kind the neighbor finds offensive with bright colors to ensure they are distracting. And if he uses his extended dock on your side of the dock, park your boat out near the end of his dock right on your property line to block him. Might as well have some fun with this.
Chicken coop with a rooster? Plant some kudzu, poison ivy or bamboo? Get an annoying little dog that barks when lonely and leave him tied up outside? Borrow a colicky baby? The possibilities are endless.

Or try not to be a jerk by doing some of the above mentioned and the situation may improve?

Last edited by a moderator:
May improve and May Not improve. It was never started by “jerkish” behavior so I don’t see anything improving by not being a “jerk”. Sadly some bullish people only understand bullish back at them, even then it could just be endless back and forth. Who gives in, I wouldn’t but my wife would.
Semper fidelis

May improve and May Not improve. It was never started by “jerkish” behavior so I don’t see anything improving by not being a “jerk”. Sadly some bullish people only understand bullish back at them, even then it could just be endless back and forth. Who gives in, I wouldn’t but my wife would.
Semper fidelis

"An insult unpunished is the parent of many others."

- Thomas Jefferson

I love that. Well done.

I appreciate the support. The neighbor was certainly a jerk about the situation, AND was even forewarned by our other neighbor that tried to give them a heads up after the first section went in. In the end, they proceeded and it’s an inconsiderate and un-neighborly situation.

We have some dock rearrangement plans in the mix for mitigating some of the impact for this year. Eventually next year our dock will go in on the other side, while a shorter L shaped dock for swimming, laying out, and kayaking will run a foot off that property line. Not conceding that space, but not going out of our way to continue some feud with them.

I wont sink to their level. At the same time, I will not be the same “nice and helpful” guy next door. A polite cold shoulder goes a long way sometimes. Also, as other neighbors have taken notice of their actions, others on the street have also commented they will likely do the same. No one lakeside enjoys self centered and unkind neighbors. They’ll reap what they sow (karma…?) without the rest of us being jerks.

I am trying to reset my mindset to work in our space in ways where a neighbor wont obstruct our use or enjoyment of the lake ever again. By next year, we will be there.

Again, I appreciate the supportive comments coming off the shock and frustration of seeing it initially. I hope others understand a few edits I went in and did so as to keep this family friendly. At the same time, perhaps this thread can serve as a reminder that our own actions impact others around us. Ever more important in tight lakeside lots.

Lets all try to be our better selves in dealing with others, and hopefully most of the time that will be returned to us in kind.

I appreciate the support. The neighbor was certainly a jerk about the situation, AND was even forewarned by our other neighbor that tried to give them a heads up after the first section went in. In the end, they proceeded and it’s an inconsiderate and un-neighborly situation.

We have some dock rearrangement plans in the mix for mitigating some of the impact for this year. Eventually next year our dock will go in on the other side, while a shorter L shaped dock for swimming, laying out, and kayaking will run a foot off that property line. Not conceding that space, but not going out of our way to continue some feud with them.

I wont sink to their level. At the same time, I will not be the same “nice and helpful” guy next door. A polite cold shoulder goes a long way sometimes. Also, as other neighbors have taken notice of their actions, others on the street have also commented they will likely do the same. No one lakeside enjoys self centered and unkind neighbors. They’ll reap what they sow (karma…?) without the rest of us being jerks.

I am trying to reset my mindset to work in our space in ways where a neighbor wont obstruct our use or enjoyment of the lake ever again. By next year, we will be there.

Again, I appreciate the supportive comments coming off the shock and frustration of seeing it initially. I hope others understand a few edits I went in and did so as to keep this family friendly. At the same time, perhaps this thread can serve as a reminder that our own actions impact others around us. Ever more important in tight lakeside lots.

Lets all try to be our better selves in dealing with others, and hopefully most of the time that will be returned to us in kind.

I love your attitude about this after having some time to let the situation sink in for you. Just be the bigger person until it's time to not be. Hopefully that time doesn't come.

Don’t expect a Christmas present. We had a neighbor like that too. She was a nut case and we heard they moved out of old neighborhood because no one liked them. When he cut some of our plants down on our property, I let it go. Then she made up her own property line with a rock wall. I told her to move it, she did. Then she had a fence put in and gave us the ugly side. I told her to pull it up and put ugly side on her side, she did. Now she hated us. I would see her out at 2am throwing pine cones into our yard, she said they were our pine cones. Now husband leaves her and kids never come home. She has zero friends in our neighborhood and moves away after two years. Her yard was always impeccable though. It just takes time.

I hate the high road……but you’ll be glad you went that way. My suggestion on your dock….based on mine due to my configuration, if you don’t want to move your dock across property and like it where it is anchored on shore, angle it from same spot toward center of your property line. Mine starts about about 15’ from property line and at the end of dock (100’), is about 30’ from property line. a slight angle might be all you need. Some folks don’t like slightly angled docks, I really don’t care And it gives me alot of room on both sides.

Since this is a next year move, and being a high road thingy, I would talk to neighbor and tell him you’d appreciate him moving his dock over at least 15’ (or whatever is good for you) and why that would be very helpful. Let him put in docks first next year to see if he is a “jerk” (very high road by the way), and places in same spot. If not, he could be bearable. If he places them in the same spot, he has proved himself once again And I would ignore the …”jerk”.

Back