Lake Powell, April 2014

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I already posted a few of these in the Dog Ramps thread, but here are few more from my latest trip to Lake Powell in southern Utah. I did about 100 miles round trip into a pretty remote area, my biggest trip yet but not as big as what I'm hoping to do later in the year. Our destination was a unique feature called Cathedral in the Desert that is usually submerged. I posted a full trip report with tons of photos and a writeup on my website if you want to see it all, click here. It's a little tough to duplicate that here, so I'll just post some of the highlights, especially the ones with the boat in them. :)

Full report & pics on my website here: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/cathedral-in-the-desert.3042/

cathedral-in-the-desert-41.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-30.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-32.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-33.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-35.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-34.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-37.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-12.jpg

The new grill worked great

cathedral-in-the-desert-5.jpg

cathedral-in-the-desert-42.jpg

Wow!  I think Bennington will be asking to borrow your photos...

Freekin awesome pics !!! YOU ARE THE MASTER !!!!

Keep them coming!

That is way to cool. Would love to take a trip like that..   :)

I just set your 5th pic as my desktop background.  Hope you don't mind.

Do you have the black accent on your seats Dan? Living vicariously are we?

Do you edit the clouds out of your photos? Those blue skies are incredible.

Do you edit the clouds out of your photos? Those blue skies are incredible.
Nope. If anything, I would have preferred some clouds to give things a bit more scale. It was just a big high pressure system with not a cloud in sight for the first couple of days. 

WOW WOW WOW

Living The Life 

Amazing Photos 

How low is Lake Powell from normal depth

I have been hearing due to drought in west levels are at historic lows

Last edited by a moderator:
How low is Lake Powell from normal depth

I have been hearing due to drought in west levels are at historic lows
It is at it's second lowest since filling in 1983. The current water level is at 3,574', down about 126' from full pool at 3700'. Bad for water storage but good for seeing some of the sights usually submerged. 

Just signed up on your forum. I'll be surfing for days looking at all the photos.

For those of you that did not click his forum link ...... well you are missing out. The photos of different adventures from travelers are AMAZING !!!!!

Click here for the main site, and be amazed !!!   

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/

Nick,

Awesome report and pictures....your dogs looked like they were totally relaxed.  I have the identical toon you got....I love the black so far.  A few questions if you don't mind.  I was thinking of doing my grill exactly where you have yours setup but I didnt want to go stainless but would prefer to go with something like your setup?  What kind of grill and what brackets did you use to mount it?  Does it flex the railing much going down the water?  Also, I think the little throw rug is a great idea...we are thinking the same thing because it has only been 82 in Florida so far but it was pretty hot on the feet this past weekend if you stood very long.  Also, tell me more about the dog ramp...I am thinking that might work for people too when we beach the boat in our bay.  Appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Hey brentah,

Thanks, the dogs love being out on the boat. My friend's dog was new to it and we thought he was about to jump ship once or twice, but overall they enjoyed it. I love the black too! 

I'm loving the grill setup I did. On this trip we cooked steaks, chicken and brats on the grill and then swapped out the grill plates for stove burner plates and did coffee with bacon and eggs for breakfast. Taking it off and putting it on isn't that fun, but with one person helping, it's not bad and only takes a minute. I keep a socket wrench on the boat and that makes it pretty easy. The rail doesn't flex at all that I've noticed. Details on the grill and brackets are in the thread below:

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/3474-my-diy-boat-grill/

The next improvement I'll probably make on that is to replace the disposable 1 pound propane canisters with a 5 or 10 lb refillable aluminum one like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FPZABU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=19529210C2V4RTY7GFZC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200422&pf_rd_i=507846

The throw rug has been great at keeping the boat cleaner. My wife picked up an extra long one so it goes from the bow gate almost back to the helm. I pull it forward a few inches to protect the front of the boat from any possible damage from the dog ramp which worked great. And speaking of the ramp, yes, it is a perfect people ramp too! It makes it super easy to just walk on and off without having to climb up and down. It also helped to keep things clean because we were able to bridge the gap over the muck and onto drier sand and also knocked dirt off as people walked up. It stowed nicely in the changing room storage area with plenty of room to spare. I think it is one of my favorite add-ons I've bought for the boat. At first I thought I might only take it on certain trips but I don't think it will ever leave the boat after this last one. Here's a post with more info on the specific ramp: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/2753-dog-ramps/?p=41688

Back