Large Biminis

bjgill17

Reaction score
We are waiting, very very anxiously for several weeks for our new 22 SFI pontoon to come in.... The salesman said it should arrive at the store on May 24th....YEA YEA YEA...but now he is SUGGESTING STRONGLY the addition at an additional cost, the putting on a "oversized" bimini that will cover almost the whole boat when extended...My question if any one has one of these larger than standard bimini on a 22 fo pontoon is 1) HOW HARD IS IT TO OPEN AND CLOSE, in other words..IS IT REALLY HEAVY TO HANDLE ?? and 2) for "SEVERAL MORE HUNDREDS OF $$$" is it worth it....

Hi and welcome. Are you referring to a double bimini? If so, I have one and it involves two separate sets of struts/frames in which the opened biminis zipper together in the middle. They are not particularily hard to open/close (although the easiest thing if you had unlimited money would be to have powered biminis!) I think you can see my biminis in my avatar if you look closely. The front bimini is a little lighter than the rear bimini.

You don't say where you are at, I am in Texas and consider the double bimini absolutely essential; in fact it was one of three primary considerations when we were shopping for a pontoon. My dealer said he routinely orders them from the factory with double bimini because so many buyer in Texas want them that way - not sure what the specific cost is because it was all part of the whole package.

Thank you a lot for imput ....my husband and I discussed it and that is the way we are going to go. We live out side of Beaumont Texas and MAN, IT DOES GET HOT AND HUMID in the summer....

Sorry, but Bennington needs to take a lesson from Premier and SanPan (Godfrey Marine) by offering a larger single bimini. The "big" single that's currently offered is still too small, It offers very little in the way of protection from the elements and, IMO, looks out of proportion on anything larger than an 18 footer. It makes a luxurious (and expensive!)pontoon look cheap. Wake up and take notice Bennington!!!
We know our competitors inside and out...sorry you feel this way. We don't think the 10' top looks out of proportion. Industry standard is 9' to 11'. We offer an optional 12' single, and several varieties of double biminis depending on gate locations. We sell five times more boats than either of the brands you mentioned, so I guess others agree, thank goodness. :eek:

I ordered mine with the 12' bimini. I didn't want to have to deal with 2 biminis but wanted the extra shade the 12'er supplies.

Steve

I'm glad that Bennington DID take notice and now offers a 12' as an option....great! Knowing your competitors is a must. It forces new innovative and creative ideas. I love our Bennington, but I'm not so "brand loyal" that I won't acknowledge other competitors strong points or say that something couldn't be done better or be more desireable than what Bennington currently has to offer. Here's an idea. How about the addition of optional colored anodized / powder-coated rails that coordinate with the interior/exterior colors. Check out a PlayCraft Extreme. You'll get the idea.

Gotta love the reference of selling "five times more boats than" though. So...... GM sells 100 times more Chevy Impalas than Cadillac CTS's too. Those Impalas must offer everything a customer could ask for............ :lol:
Well, since you made a car reference...perhaps it is no secret that we serve the awesome Chevy client AND the terrific Cadillac/Lexus/BMW client, ALL with care. Whatever it is, we will continue to innovate, thanks for your suggestions! Have a great Memorial Day and reach out to a veteran.

I thank my father for OUR freedom every Memorial Day. He's one of the few WWII veterans still hanging in there. Battle of the Bulge.....front line. He's my hero.
Post your dad's picture for us this weekend!

I went from a 8' to a 10' PWR-ARM top and almost wish I would have got the 12' PWR-ARM.. one thing I can say about the tops that Bennington uses is that it is stronger than any other top I have seen

Ron

i agree, bennington tops are rock solid compared to others. and this is on a 9 year old 'toon!

Back