Leaking Pontoon.

JPL

Reaction score
So without searching all the threads, who has had a leaking pontoon on a brand new boat. My boat is one year old and I have a pontoon that is full past the lifting strake as that is where the water is coming out. It looks like it is leaking at where the strake is welded to the log as there is a stress crack at that weld. I fear they will need to remove the entire strake to fix the leak. I was hoping I would get a new log, but apparently, they re-weld the leak, which I hope they can do. I understand the cost, but really, buying a boat with a 10 yr warranty, should I have to settle for a welded leak repair? My dealer is great and they are taking care of it for me which I appreciate.

Last edited:
I suggest you go back and perform a search. You will see that this is an infrequent, but easily rectified issue that requires no log replacement. Your observations are frankly, out of line, sir.

The warranty states they will fix it. Nowhere does it state any defect will be “replaced”. Would you rather they weld it and get back to boating in a couple days, or wait on a new log which could take many months. Weld repairs are probably the norm. My dock neighbor had his log done, in and out in a day or so.

I been on this forum for several years and although fairly rare log leaks are typically fixed by welding with good outcomes. Sorry you are experiencing this but get it welded and back on the water.

Last year on mine , brand new , there was a leak in the weld on the nose cone. Discouraging? Absolutely! Contacted the dealer and was told either find a shop capable of the repair and they would reimburse me or bring it in and they would call their guy that did aluminum repairs for them.

The repair took no time at all and life was good again afterwards. Its a simple fix that does not warrant a pontoon being replaced.

I had a leak they could not find and they replaced it after a lot of searching.

How is all the water in the pontoon drained before the weld repair? Once the weld is done the water would be sealed in.

How is all the water in the pontoon drained before the weld repair? Once the weld is done the water would be sealed in.

Small drainage holes are drilled to remove the water and are welded closed along with the damage that allowed the leak in the first place.

My first boat had a leak in the toon due to me hitting a submerged log. It was at the rear cap, and opened about a 2" slice. I took it to a friend that was a cracker jack alum. welder. He fixed it up, and I was back on the water that afternoon. Don't create more grief for yourself. Like mentioned earlier, if you had to leave your boat in the shop for months to get a new log, you'd really be doing some complaining, so roll with the punches and carry on, soldier. :)

I just had one of my logs leak on a brand new Benni. It turned out to be an easy fix. A couple of hours and $200 later life was good again. To get a new pontoon and replace it would be costly and time consuming. Plus there’s no guarantees that the new one won’t leak. Just get it fixed by reputable welder and it’ll probably be better than new.

Back