Leaking pontoons.

bayfred

Reaction score
I have a 2008 2275GL tritoon in pretty good condition for a 10 year old boat. I have had a series of leaks in my pontoons repaired by different repair shops with varying degrees of satisfaction. The last repair was done by a neighbor who owns a fabrication shop. He didn't charge me but told me that my pontoon was paper thin due to electrolysis. He said he couldn't even weld the seam where the leak was but had to put a patch on it. We put it in the water and let it sit overnight to see if the fix "took". The next morning the boat was listing to the same side. The next day, today, I pulled the boat out of the water and we are debating what direction to go. Our inclination is to replace the logs because, by and large everything else is in pretty good shape and it's a pretty luxurious boat that we really would not want to spend the money to replace. Any thoughts or suggestions?

There was another gentleman on the forum who hasn’t been around for awhile that had basically same issue. He had a guy that was going to “cap” the bottom half of the toon. Basically roll a piece of aluminum and recover the bottom half. I don’t think he ever came back on here to update on repair??

Also, toon replacement is a great idea, especially being it’s aBenninton, but shipping can be very expensive. They ship separate now, not connected to another toon. If you are closer to factory, you may contact a close dealer and see if they’d allow shipping to them to save lots of $$$$. Rent a u-haul and toss them in the back, and haul home (if you are doing job yourself).

I think I would go in the direction of the toon replacement too. If the rest of the boat is in great shape, it’s a Bennington after all - lol, then a straight forward toon replacement should resolve this problem.

I also agree with Semper’s advice above on checking with dealers near the factory and getting them from there. Good luck with it all! Glad the problem has gotten spotted for you before a total compromise in your toons while potentially out on the water.

I have a 2008 2275GL tritoon in pretty good condition for a 10 year old boat. I have had a series of leaks in my pontoons repaired by different repair shops with varying degrees of satisfaction. The last repair was done by a neighbor who owns a fabrication shop. He didn't charge me but told me that my pontoon was paper thin due to electrolysis. He said he couldn't even weld the seam where the leak was but had to put a patch on it. We put it in the water and let it sit overnight to see if the fix "took". The next morning the boat was listing to the same side. The next day, today, I pulled the boat out of the water and we are debating what direction to go. Our inclination is to replace the logs because, by and large everything else is in pretty good shape and it's a pretty luxurious boat that we really would not want to spend the money to replace. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Just curious if your boat was ever parked in a slip where they had shore power in the vicinity?

For the past 6 years, it has been in a slip where every slip has shore power. However it was always on a lift so that shouldn't have affected it should it?

I think I would go in the direction of the toon replacement too. If the rest of the boat is in great shape, it’s a Bennington after all - lol, then a straight forward toon replacement should resolve this problem.

I also agree with Semper’s advice above on checking with dealers near the factory and getting them from there. Good luck with it all! Glad the problem has gotten spotted for you before a total compromise in your toons while potentially out on the water.
Thanks, guys, for the feedback. Good to know I might be on the right track.

If you do go for 3 new tubes, get rid of the outer strakes. It'll turn better.

Back