LED lighting

*KCCO*

Reaction score
Winter hasn't really even begun to set in here yet, and I am continually thinking about next summer on the lake. I have seen some really cool looking pictures of led lighting under the outside of the deck. I think that is something I would like to add for next year. I have also seen it on the interior under the seats. My question would be, where is the best place to look for that kind of thing? Is it something that I need to take back into the dealer and have them install? I have done some light searching online, but everything I have seen kind of looks "cheap". At least the listings on sites like amazon, etc. does not look like it is very professional stuff. If I am going to do it, I want it to be real nice looking. I appreciate any feedback, and would love to see some pictures of lighting upgrades you all have done!

I used these TaoTronics 150 LEDs to do lights under the edges of my seats. I absolutely love it. Probably the best single upgrade I've done to my boat. We spend hours out on it at night when we're camping and it makes it so we can do just about anything without having to turn on headlamps or flashlights. Sometimes when the gnats are bad, that is a really great feature. They also change colors, so I can set it to red and see the stars without light pollution and still be able to see things on the boat, or I can switch it to blue and match the speakers and cupholders. 

I thought for sure I took some photos of the actual lights, but it looks like I only took photos of the boat with the lights on. This is a long exposure with the inside lights on red and with my green fishing light in the water. 

IMG_3861.jpg

And here a are a couple of really poor quality snapshots right after I installed them.

White:

IMG_1287.JPG

And green. They have a rainbow of color options and are dimmable. I'm very pleased. 

IMG_1286.JPG

I too have added additional LEDs and also love the look.

I am looking into adding the lights on mine as well

I asked for them initially the ice blue mood lighting on floor , paid for them but never got them

No need to beat that horse to death, but I think the lighting is a great add on.

Oh Those amazing Summer Days and Summer Nights !!

109962087.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How difficult is it to run the wiring, and how long should it take?  The dealer wants a fortune for these type of installations

I haven't done it myself yet, but have talked to quite a few different people who have, as well as the tech at the dealer I use. He was very helpful, and it does not sound like a hard job at all. Basically said I should be able to run along the current wiring that's there, and just go to an open ACC switch I have on the dash. I have an open one for a livewell I don't have on my boat. I'm planning for a couple hours as soon as my boat comes out of storage.

Those look amazing bcpnick!! I hadn't thought much about doing the interior, was just going to do outside under the deck, but I think I may have just added another project.

Have said this before but worth repeating.  I have factory LED underwater, side, cup holders, bimini & then added additional under the seats.  The sidelights are MUCH better than the underwater and concerning inside, I ended up replacing the additional LEDS with smaller softer ones as I really only wanted enough lighting for mood effect versus lighting it up to see perhaps as bcpnick desires

Anyone have any links that show how to run the wire for these extra lights?  I can get a pair of side lights 24' each to do both sides for $300 from Overtons.  The dealer wants more than 5 times that including installation.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

Even better!  Thank you.  This site is awesome, but makes me spend money :)
We love to help people spend their $$$$$$$$$$$$    :p

Even better!  Thank you.  This site is awesome, but makes me spend money :)
I think you should be able to use "forum10" discount code at www.pontoonstuff.com for 10% off. Give it a try.

How difficult is it to run the wiring, and how long should it take?  The dealer wants a fortune for these type of installations
I just installed 4 Ice Blue SS LED's on my 22SCWX on side of rear loungers and the front seats as well.  Additionally added underwater LED's on rear toon tabs.  I had a marine guy do the install for me who comes to my house and charges $50/hr.  You could easily do it yourself if you wanted to.  Ran the wiring down side of outer toons and zip tied to the existing holes on the track. The install took 6 hrs total and I invested $100 on wire, $35 (a piece) for the underwater LED's (Amazon), and $14 (a piece) for the mood lights.  Total spent was $550.  I believe the factory upgrade would have run near $2K.  They look amazing. 

Can anyone shoot a picture of the under seat lighting installation - I'd like to add these to the interior of my new toon.  It doesn't like there is much interior lighting from the factory.  I"m curious if the strip lights are attached to the bottom of the seats or against the seat base.  Do you just use the 3M tape or do you attach with something else?  In looking at some of the products, it looks like there is an AC adapter that converts the power to DC and then powers the lights.  How do you do this on a boat with no AC power, just DC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where you put them under the seat is a personal choice.  Mine are up high enough that you would not see them unless you got down and looked under.  When the marina added LED lights under the seats they just used the 3M tape, within a month it was falling down and they redid it.  I am not sure what they used but I haven't had a problem since.  Sorry but no pix and my boat is inside storage

Thanks Link for the quick response.  That is basically why I was asking - I'm assuming that location has a lot to do with look - seat mounted would face down, seat base would shoot outward, probably brighter.   I also think that a few days of moisture on the 3M tape and a few bounces of the toon and those things would fall.  I am curious if there is a better option which still would allow for flexibility in mounting. 

Thanks Link for the quick response.  That is basically why I was asking - I'm assuming that location has a lot to do with look - seat mounted would face down, seat base would shoot outward, probably brighter.   I also think that a few days of moisture on the 3M tape and a few bounces of the toon and those things would fall.  I am curious if there is a better option which still would allow for flexibility in mounting. 

3M velcro works well, you just have to cut thin strips

I put mine on the seat bases facing forward. I think it looks better than on the bottom of the seats pointing down. It floods out better. I used the adhesive on the lights, but it has come off in a few places. Probably not the best solution, but I just put a couple dabs of superglue behind them because we were out on long camping trips when it happened. 

Back