LED Speaker mods

Jim_R

Reaction score
I believe I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I'd post it here in this new DIY forum as well. Many have seen the Kicker and Wet Sounds speakers with built in LED 'mood' lighting, here's a first attempt at adding this type of lighting to existing speakers.

While standard single color LEDs can be used, and have the advantage of only requiring positive and negative wiring connections, I previously used RGB LEDs for cupholders, and elected to tie the internal speaker lighting to that circuit/ controller. This allows me to keep cupholders and speaker backlight colors matched.

I used the following prewired single chip RGB surface mount LED available from oznium.com:

IfGO.jpg

The surface mount LED comes with a 3M adhesive backing strip, so installation is relatively straightforward, simply remove the speaker, remove the speaker faceplate, choose a mounting location that allows the LED to shine on the majority of the speaker cone, and adhere using the backing strip. Next carefully run the flat ribbon cable through the speaker cutout prior to reinstalling the speaker. You would then need to wire a 4 conductor run to an RGB controller of some sort, or wire positive to the positive lead on the chip and negative to the color lead desired (Red, Green, or Blue) for single 'fixed' color operation.

Here's a couple pics of a single chip install on some JL Audio speakers.

2013-06-20_21-41-58_612_zps95f5be0e.jpg

I am pretty happy with the results, although these speakers have an integral tweeter that creates a shadow across the top of the cone.

2013-06-19_21-29-44_781_zpsb758e9ae.jpg

I may revisit this mod after I complete some other projects, and add a second LED at the top.

Great idea!! might have to do that once our Benni gets in! Where and how did you attach them under the cover? Any ideas on LED cup holders?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love Oznium.com !!

I'm gonna grab some of these and do the speaker mod you show, but just tap into my "mood" lights. They are near the speakers already so it should be pretty easy. Thanks for posting up info n pics !!

Great idea!! might have to do that once our Benni gets in! Where and how did you attach them under the cover? Any ideas on LED cup holders?
Yeah my LED cupholder thread is here: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/2536-diy-rgb-led-cupholders/

As far as attaching them, I used the 3M self adhesive backing strip already on the LEDs and affixed it to an area of the speaker grill that faced towards the speaker itself. In my case, the best position seemed to be in the area behind where the JL logo is.

I also have a DYI speaker ring mod done, but was waiting to capture a video of them in action as I am powering them with music controllers. I'm surprised that I have not seen this done already, it's a very easy mod. I simply took some excess SMD 5050 RGB LED strips I had left over from a perimeter lighting project and cut them to size such that I could form a ring around the perimeter of each speaker. (The zip ties are temporary to hold the strip in place until the adhesive dries).

2013-06-19_21-25-03_22_zps320e4b9b.jpg

I adhered the led strip to the outside of the speaker grill using silicone. On re-installing the speakers I learned not to screw them in too tight or the strips will start to detach. I'll probably post a video this weekend. BTW - the correct color wiring sequence for the single chip LEDs used behind the grill is written on the paper plate in the above pic, the individual wires are not labeled well and are not in the same sequence the RGB strips and many LED controllers use. :rolleyes:

And here's a picture of one of the type of music controller I used:

2013-03-23_12-49-32_862_zpsd3202c23.jpg

I don't anticipate using the UHF remote much as the controllers retain the last setting used after a complete power down. I have them on a switch, and set to music mode which varies display with music volume and rhythm. Basically the color changes every 8 beats, and the intensity (brightness) changes with volume. This was so basic I elected to use different controllers for Right and Left channels hoping for more of a stereo separation effect with light.

You are te MAN Jim.

Impressed as always Jim! Love the remote too! Reminds me of the remote bomb detonator from the old movies! Haha

Jim,

what do the cup holders look like when there is a drink in them? can you even see the LED lights?

Jim,

what do the cup holders look like when there is a drink in them? can you even see the LED lights?
Im betting it lights up the whole drink, unless its a really dark drink !!!

Here's a pic from a previous cupholder LED mod I did.

corona.jpg

There is only water in the corona bottle, but you get similar results with pale ales or lagers.

Just don't drink the one with yellow liquid... Lights look great though!!

Here's a static shot of the leds on the speaker perimeters.

Now that I've had more than ample opportunity to operate the LED speaker lights underway, when controlled by the music controller to flash and strobe in synch with music I am finding them too bright and distracting. Having two shine at me from the rear lounge area, and another directly in view from the forward area impacts my night vision too much. Now I typically will set them to the same color as the cup holders (whatever the color dujour is) and enjoy them much more as regular 'led speaker rings' (although the admiral still orders music mode often). I'm strongly considering installing some additional strips out of direct line of sight pointed more towards the deck to use with the music controllers. Gotta order up more 4 conductor RGB wire too - used up 150' already.

Any problems with static interference. I was told by an audio installer that I trust that the led can cause static interference, the company has been around since the early 80's and do a lot of marine applications.

Any problems with static interference. I was told by an audio installer that I trust that the led can cause static interference, the company has been around since the early 80's and do a lot of marine applications.

I actually just posted about interference on this very subject. I have an m600 amp and JL subwoofer installed. Getting high pitched hum/static sound when mood lighting is turned on.

I had a similar issue with m600 on my previous bennington. It's a ground issue, could be head unit or the lights themselves.
BTW that's a great amp.

Back