Lesson learned

Rawhide

Reaction score
Once upon a time Papa and Momma Bear went in search of a boat. They decided on a 2275 Bennington which they dearly love. One day recently Papa Bear, Momma Bear and Baby Bear went to the lake to enjoy the day. It was a beautiful day in lake world with a nice breeze, cool water, with lots of fishing and grilling. When it was time to leave lake world Momma and Baby Bear convinced Papa Bear that they would secure the boat while he placed all the loose items in the truck. We left lake world and proceeded toward home. About three miles from lake world Papa Bear noticed the front Bimini drop at which point the brakes were applied but not in time to prevent the Bimini flying back and removing the stern Bimini with great fanfare. As we departed the scene of Bimini horror Papa Bear mentioned the fact that in all the years of boating the Bimini's always stayed snapped in place to which Momma Bear replies, "they snap"? $4000 later we are in tip top shape with new Bimini's and boating procedure. Papa Bear will always be the last one off of the boat with all items secured and road worthy for the trip home from lake world.

Funny story but not funny?

Lessons learned

for us momma bear takes care of lunches, kids, snacks etc..... i take care of the boat and all that goes with it. my 15 year old is my first mate since mamma has a full plate of things to worry about. thanks for sharing, it is a great reminder that we have our roles for a reason! we even now take two vehicles to the marina. i get there 30 minutes early to prep, and stay after to clean and snap it up with no distractions.

for us momma bear takes care of lunches, kids, snacks etc..... i take care of the boat and all that goes with it. my 15 year old is my first mate since mamma has a full plate of things to worry about. thanks for sharing, it is a great reminder that we have our roles for a reason! we even now take two vehicles to the marina. i get there 30 minutes early to prep, and stay after to clean and snap it up with no distractions.

stay after to clean and snap it up with no distractions.

Definitely a plus, a simple recheck with no distractions can save a lot of money

Bummer but it could always have been worse! Thanks for sharing...

We have had our boat for 11 seasons now. We know what needs to be done to prepare before we go on the water and we know what needs to be done to put the boat away for the next time. We do it together and we check and double check to make sure nothing is missed. Oh sure we have forgotten stuff over the years.....But we'll never forget it again. For example......First day with our first boat a bowrider. We were taking it out of the water and putting it back on the trailer. My wife who drove the boat to the ramp forgot to put the drive up resulting in the skeg dragging up the concrete ramp. We've never forgotten that and it's never happened again......

Last edited:
Even with good checklists and people taking ownership of their respective crew 'roles,' mistakes do happen. Most of us are not professional boaters doing this every day.

Thankfully nobody got hurt. Stuff can be replaced.

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Back