Life Jackets

bucktheplumber

Reaction score
We will be getting our new Benny this week and We need to get a bunch of life jackets I do not want to spend a lot as they will be mostly sitting in the storage compartments does any one have any recommendations

Mine came with 4 lifejackets, ancor, chain & line, throwable cushion, 4 fenders, 2 or 3 dock lines, & fire extinguisher. Ask you dealor about this. I suppose it could have been apart of the boat show special, can’t recall. Congratulations on your new Bennington, you are going to enjoy it. This forum is a great place to ask questions.

When we bought our boat it came with 6 of the orange life jackets, 4 fenders and dock lines. We usually buy life vests at yard sales. Kids out grow them fast.

We will be getting our new Benny this week and We need to get a bunch of life jackets I do not want to spend a lot as they will be mostly sitting in the storage compartments does any one have any recommendations
Ours gave us two 5-pks of life jackets (both pks fit under the helm), 4 fenders and 4 dock lines with ours, but of course in reality we paid for them!

Dealer through in what I think they called Safety Kit everything that you will need to get started. if not ask your dealer what he recommends and then BEG him for it.

If your dealer doesn’t bend and give you some, go to basspro, they have a nice four pack in a storage bag. They’re not the goofy orange ones but actual usable everyday life vests and they’re not crazy expensive, sometimes the whole pack is on sale for $40. We had one set last year and just added another set this to get rid of the old orange set that made us legal. Here’s the link.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-adult-universal-life-vest-4-pack

I also went to bass pro when I had to stock up on vests. I took the girlfriend and the little guy to make sure they got good ones that fit. I also got 2 for myself. One is more of a colder weather vest for early or late season fishing. The rest were various sizes to accommodate the variety of people that may be on the boat. Those weren't as important for fit (for us) or "fashion" but are good vests nontheless.

Don't skimp on vests for the ones that will be on the boat all the time. That doesn't mean get top of the line but make sure they fit good. In total I spent about $350 to put 7 various adult and 2 small child vests on the boat. That isn't bad considering the 4 I got for the gf , the little guy , and myself were a bit pricey.

One thing I learned years ago when I had an Alumacraft deep-v fishing rig is I'd go through 2 cheap vests vs one good vest. The initial price difference isn't that much more and is less in the long run for the good ones.

We bought the basic USCG approved ones and store in front lounger backrest. They’ve never been used, so I wouldn’t invest a ton of money in them. Unless you are running in rough open water, it’s highly doubtful they’ll ever leave the storage area. Make sure to grab a throwable or two. Those are just as important if someone goes overboard. You can’t throw a vest far, nor is it easy for someone to put on in water, but they can hold on to the throwable.

My dealer gave us 8 jackets. Whatever you end up buying PLEASE remember to take them out of the plastic before you store them so they will be ready for use if needed. Enjoy your new Bennington.

Last edited:
I would go ahead and buy the vest style vs. the orange standards, they come in handy when floating around the swim cove, some people wear them like a diaper to float in. I also, bought a better grade for us than the required ones. One throwable is required in Ohio. If you plan on tubing or skiing some are specifically labeled, I think they usually have a zipper as well as buckles

Thank you for all the feed back I sent an email to my dealer asking if they are included but have not received any response yet

My dealer was too cheap to throw them in so I bought my inexpensive orange set at Overton's. I also keep 3 very good jackets onboard for wakeboarding and tubing.

Our boat “start up kit” came with the following: Fire extinguisher, anchor, whistle, orange flag, I small orange paddle, and 8 of the “old school” orange life vests.

It’s nice to have those 8 extra life vests on board for guests, as we have regular ski/watersport style life vests for all of us (family of 6). They may not be very fashionable, but if guests want fashionable, they can bring their own. ;-)

Walmart for the vests. ....Make sure you have something for everyone onboard (A vest, ski vest or throwable) Also already got my 3 fire extinguishers from the Kidde recall......

Well I heard back from the dealer he said he does not include any life jackets or accessories :( guess its my fault for not asking before i made the purchases. Time to go shopping

Don’t worry,even when they “give” you stuff, you paid for it anyhow ....;)

We had 4 that were thrown in by the dealer , we bought 6 more mainly for the Grandkids and me as I do not swim.
Mine alone was over 40.00 but for me well worth the cost. Keeping the cost down would be some large box retailers like Walmart and Target. Saw some inexpensive ones at Costco as well. As you said for most they will be stored in the storage compartments, my advice though is to purchase some of those inexpensive noodles for flotation.

10384808.jpg
61pSntK0hOL._SL1000_.jpg

Back