Lifejacket melted with Simtex

Pbakk

Reaction score
Hello,

I left a life jacket behind the seat of the co-captain chair on my 2019 GSR and was surprised to find that the label from the life jacket melted into the Simtex after a hot week with the playpen cover. I actually had to pry the life jacket away from the Simtex like it was glued.

Any ideas regarding cleaning?

I usually keep a few life jackets close to the door for the kids to grab if they want to use the waverunner. Amazing how hot it gets under the cover.

First time Pontoon owner, docked at a cabin without a lift given that I have UltraLegs (SeaLegs). Pontoon has a dark blue cover and I was wondering if I should switch to a lighter cover.

Thanks,
Pat.

Attachments

• Sticker.jpg
    Sticker.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 81
Wow! Can't believe that label did that! We had a burgundy cover for 12 yrs on our previous boat and currently have a black cover. I don't find that the black cover is any hotter under there. When it's 90 degrees out and the sun is beating down on your head I don't care what color you have. It's going to be hot under that cover.

If you have power close by set a small fan at the front even completely closed up it will create some flow and keep everything dry and cooler. Maybe not cool but definitely better.

Dealer told me that Simtex was cooler, more durable, and easier to care for. Is that not the case?

I would think it was the tag on the PFD. I have had my Simtex for about a month now , and I agree with your dealer

I would think it was the tag on the PFD. I have had my Simtex for about a month now , and I agree with your dealer

Glad to hear it, because after seeing/feeling the Simtex with my own eyes and hands, I like it.

Maybe a hair dryer to warm it up and work it off or go the other way with an ice cube.I have seen some thing done with Hot and Cold.Let us know!

Dealer told me that Simtex was cooler, more durable, and easier to care for. Is that not the case?
I wouldn't necessarily say that it is cooler. It is definitely more durable and easier to care for/clean. I would say that instead of being cooler, Simtex doesn't 'stick' to you as compared to traditional vinyl. I have the platinum color Simtex and it does get hot in the sun.

That's crazy! We like the Simtex so far. It is easy to clean and care for. I agree you don't stick to it like traditional vinyl. And it''s not supossed to grow mold. We'll see as this is our first year.

As for cleaning... try Folex (white and purple bottle) sold at Lowes and Home Depot. We once used it to remove blood from a light colored carpet. It's great stuff. I'd test a small spot to be safe, maybe under a seat? I think you'll be good but you never know. For what it's worth Simtex recommends Fantastik and 409 for though spots. You can read about the care instructions on their website.

My Simtex is Arctic White vs Ivory vinyl on our previous .The white seems to be cooler ,so far .

My Simtex is Arctic White vs Ivory vinyl on our previous .The white seems to be cooler ,so far .

My dream boat would have Arctic Ice White Simtex with perforated Monaco Blue accent - I think that would look pretty awesome. I don't think I can get that color combo on anything below the R Series, however.

Update - I checked with dealer and they are going to ask Bennington for an official recommendation.

Very strange that it would get that hot to melt the life jacket sticker, but maybe a perfect storm. It was not a cheap life jacket. I will post an update once I have more info. Thanks for all the input. Worst case I try Fantastik and 409 as recommended by VitiminJ.

Let it get good and hot again, then use Gorilla tape to dab/pull it off? Is it melted on, or stained?

Let it get good and hot again, then use Gorilla tape to dab/pull it off? Is it melted on, or stained?

It is melted on. Good idea with the Gorilla tape. Maybe I will bring a hair dryer and try it this weekend. Thanks Kaydano.

My dream boat would have Arctic Ice White Simtex with perforated Monaco Blue accent - I think that would look pretty awesome. I don't think I can get that color combo on anything below the R Series, however.
My dealer ordered a custom interior for another customer .It was something with "Firecracker" .The customer had to sign a release before they would build it with the requested combo .
It never hurts to ask about a custom order .

My dealer ordered a custom interior for another customer .It was something with "Firecracker" .The customer had to sign a release before they would build it with the requested combo .
It never hurts to ask about a custom order .

Hmmmmm...didn't dawn on me to even attempt that - thanks for the advice!

Update: dealer provided attached letter fro cleaning simtex. Not sure it will work as my issue is less about dirt or a stain, and more about a part of the life jacket melting to fabric. I am liking the heat & gorilla tape option and will try that this weekend. Thanks.

July 20, 2015

Cleaning Simtex/Silvertex

Simtex/Silvertex vinyl has a grain that is produced to have the look and feel of a fabric.

When cleaning this product, a soft bristle brush may be necessary because of the fine texture of the grain. A soft brush is best as a very stiff brush will not be as effective since it cannot get down into the texture of the embossing.

White microfiber towels have been found to be the most effective towel for use when cleaning this product.

Formula 409™ and Fantastik™ can be used.
Formula 409™ seems to work better on oil based stains rather than Fantastik™.

For cleaning buffing compound if splattered on vinyl, it may be necessary to use warm water along with a cleaner; more than one application may be required. A soft brush works well when removing compound.

For cleaning grease pencil stains, we have found that Formula 409™ and a micro fiber towel works better than using a soft brush. Spray the area and then dab with the towel. A brush serves only to spread the stain.

Never use powdered abrasives, steel wool, or magic erasers on any vinyl coated product. Do not use pressure washers.

Attachments

• Simtex_Silvertex_cleaning_7.20.16.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 24
Sometimes plastics don’t play well together. Try keeping some Zman Elaztech baits in contact with other plastic things in the summer and you’ll make some cool abstract art. I’m guessing that tag wasn’t cotton.

As for cleaning... try Folex (white and purple bottle) sold at Lowes and Home Depot. We once used it to remove blood from a light colored carpet. It's great stuff..

OK. “Elephant in the room“ or elephant on the boat......let’s hear about the spattering of blood all over the room and carpeting!!!

OK. “Elephant in the room“ or elephant on the boat......let’s hear about the spattering of blood all over the room and carpeting!!!
lol. I clipped our dogs nails too short and when he walked on the carpet he dragged his foot and it ripped open. Blood literally sprayed out of his foot. Looked like a scene from Dexter. But I kid you not the Folex took it right out.

Back