Lift and Bunk Questions

MikeOnTheLake

Reaction score
My dock contractor will be reconfiguring my lift next week for the 22SX I'm picking up this Friday. The 22SX is a 2016 with SPS and an F200 Yamaha.

I had a new lift put in last year and had it sized to accommodate a decent sized pontoon boat. It is a 5,000 lb lift, but currently set up for a V bottom hull (picture attached). The contractor will be installing 3 sets of V chocks and bunks wrapped in marine carpet (the plastic type of carpet). He is planning to use 12' pressure treated 2x4's. The I-beams on the lift are 10' wide and spaced 9' apart.

Any issues using pressure treated wood to support the aluminum tubes if the wood is wrapped with the carpet? I think the carpet should prevent the chemicals in the wood from reaching the tubes, but have no experience with this and don't want the chemicals to corrode the tubes.

Does the 12' foot length of the bunks seem OK? The bunks would be placed so 1 foot extends past the rear I-beam at the stern of the boat and 3 feet past the front I-beam. The boat would be parked on the lift with the rear or stern portion of the bunks under the support zone in the attached picture, so the front 10 feet of the tubes would not have bunks underneath them. The tubes on this model are supposed to be almost 22' long.

I've read through every thread I could find on setting up the lift, but still need some help!

Thanks, Mike

upload_2019-2-13_11-36-21.jpeg upload_2019-2-13_11-37-31.jpeg

Last edited:
Today’s treated SHOULD NOT be corrosive to aluminum. The ingredients changed. If they are using the old, they need to get with the times. As for support, Bennington recommends at front and rear tube cap and nose cone welds. That’s where dealers typically put their blocks. I’d be concerned about 10’ of tube hanging.

I don’t have carpet covering the wood in my v bunks, no problems in 4 years. I believe my bunks are 14’ long, but not home or I could measure them. I would be concerned about balance with 10 foot unsupported at bow. The motor on stern is quite heavy and if you add the weight of two or more people back there loading boat etc. it could mean disaster.

The realty is, any 2x6 (or what ever size) extended past the I beams on the front and back are not providing any additional lifting support. I'm referring to those laying flat

I don’t have carpet covering the wood in my v bunks, no problems in 4 years. I believe my bunks are 14’ long, but not home or I could measure them. I would be concerned about balance with 10 foot unsupported at bow. The motor on stern is quite heavy and if you add the weight of two or more people back there loading boat etc. it could mean disaster.
Thanks. My Bennington catalogs show the tubes on your 2250 are 6 inches longer than the 22SX, so not much. The bunks will be under the end of the tubes at the stern and will be supporting the engine weight so that part does not concern me. I need to do some more measuring this weekend on my lift and slip to see exactly how much the bunks will overhang the I-Beams on both sides, plus I need the boat in order to get more exact measurements on the tubes.

I am leaning towards this proposed set up and the length of your support boards being fine Mike. However, I am clueless on the whole treated lumber/corrosion thing. I trust some of the people above a lot though, so it sounds like you will be fine in that regard.

We head up to our cottage tomorrow, and lift is beside our drive. I’ll try to remember to measure the length of my V-cradle bunks to give you another comparison point. I want to say mine are probably in that 14’ range, but honestly haven’t paid attention since buying the darn thing in 2017. We have a 24’ S-series SPS ourselves, so that will give you a comparison on support lengths to pontoon length. I do know ours supports the boat very well.

Mine are 14 feet I have more hang over in the front than in the back as it was designed that way because of weight from transom and motor. I have no issues with the hang over in the front.77BB62F8-122C-4008-BC8A-992076E41BC8.jpeg

Last edited:
I just purchased a nice 2016, 22SFXAPG (from a private seller). It came with a "Float On" aluminium trailer. My problem is, it seems the bunks are to narrow and don't fit my Twin 32" elliptical saltwater toons (21), with Twin Elliptical Wave Shield (21) , with 2 solid Keels .
It also has Lifting Strakes--sealed twin elliptical. I almost bounced it off the trailer when I hit a curb at slow speed. It didn't have rear tie downs, but it will have them soon.
I'm having the trailer bunks modified to better hold the twin E. toons. Is there someplace I can find specifications/drawings on the spacing, & angle these bunks should set?
The trailer is at the shop now.
Thank You,

I didn't see anything in the below link that shows the width, and configeration of trailer bunks for my 22sfxapg (2) ellipitical toons. I know center to center is 70". I need to know how wide apart are the individual boards, and the board/bracket angles.
Tube spacing is not my problem.

lihttp://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/tube-support-spacing-trailer-for-twin-elliptical-pontoons.2066/nk

I appreciate all of the responses and the help I received.

I was able to verify my dock contractors lumber supplier's pressure treated wood is treated with MCA, so no issue with it reacting with the aluminum.

We finally settled on 13 foot bunks. 16 inches will extend past the rear I-Beam and fully support the rear of the tubes. About 2 1/2 feet will extend past the front I-Beam. It did not make sense to go with longer bunks because too much bunk would extend out the front and I was worried about warping and twisting. My lift should be reconfigured this week and I'm planning to put the tritoon on it the 1st weekend in March. Water at my dock should be high enough by then to float the boat enough. Heck, it might be high enough well before then. We are supposed to get a lot of rain over the next week.

Thanks, Mike

Back