Lift is floating with new boards

gmdog2

Reaction score
Installed some (3) 2x10x18 in my cradle lift or IMM.. now it is floating. I’ve thought about steel plates or concrete in pvc tubes. I’m looking for ideas on getting it to sink and how much weight to add? Thank you for any input..

Attachments

• 46A0867B-E76F-41FF-97C6-588F663AA5A9.jpeg
    46A0867B-E76F-41FF-97C6-588F663AA5A9.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 92
I'd take the 2x4's off the side. Looks like you're trying to keep the 2x10 from bowing but I don't think there will be enough strength for that. I just run flat boards and haven't had an issue.

Installed some (3) 2x10x18 in my cradle lift or IMM.. now it is floating. I’ve thought about steel plates or concrete in pvc tubes. I’m looking for ideas on getting it to sink and how much weight to add? Thank you for any input..
I like it ! Yes go with like 4"X 5 or 6 ft. PVC fill it with Concrete and cap the ends. Secure them front and rear to the lift to hold it down. It works I've seen it done!

Thx you for input. It is done and down!! So the new boat can be delivered Tom, thx goodness!!!

I'd take the 2x4's off the side. Looks like you're trying to keep the 2x10 from bowing but I don't think there will be enough strength for that. I just run flat boards and haven't had an issue.
Did you run 18ft? The toon next to me is bending all over and they r 12ft.. so the toons r just supported by the 5” beam frt/rear..

Thx Chris, I've been looking for that information for a few days. I originally got the idea from you. But I couldn't find it all.. so much great information on this forum. Thx again!!

That is some nice clear water you are on!!! Looks good

View attachment 24873 View attachment 24874 It's on and took it out yesterday..thx again.

Beautiful boat and looks like great craftsmanship on building the PT cradles....BUT....I see a potential problem.
I think I see a gap between the keel and the 2x10. It looks like the sides of your toons are resting on the 2x4’s mounted on edge. I would be concerned the 2x4's will crease or dent the toons. I would want the keels of the toons to be carrying 100% of the weight. So I know it would be a pain in the butt to do, but I’d remove the 2x4’s on edge (as lakeliving suggested above) if I were you.

keel.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful boat and looks like great craftsmanship on building the PT cradles....BUT....I see a potential problem.
I think I see a gap between the keel and the 2x10. It looks like the sides of your toons are resting on the 2x4’s mounted on edge. I would be concerned the 2x4's will crease or dent the toons. I would want the keels of the toons to be carrying 100% of the weight. So I know it would be a pain in the butt to do, but I’d remove the 2x4’s on edge (as lakeliving suggested above) if I were you.

View attachment 24928

Great catch to all, noticed the same thing. Should have done 2x12’s. I think I will be removing and see how it sits then.

If the side 2x4s are hard to get off, you could lay another set of three 2x10s on top of the existing ones. Just a thought.

I wouldn't have the 2x4s on there. My 2x12s are at a wide V angle so tubes don't set flat on wood.

Great catch to all, noticed the same thing. Should have done 2x12’s. I think I will be removing and see how it sits then.
If you remove the 2x4's, you might find that you don't need the extra weight you added. Those extra 6 2x4's on the sides of the flat bunks may be the reason your lift was floating.

I had to put weights (pavers tied to lift frame) to keep tension on the lift cables. When the lift was down far enough to float the tritoon off, the tension was off the cables, and when lifting the lift up the cables wouldn't wind onto the overhead rod straight. By putting the weight on the lift undercarriage it stopped the problem.

Back