Lifting Strake Length

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
Hello All. I noticed that the lifting strakes on some pontoons that I see on this forum are not the same length as mine. By that I mean, I've some lifting strakes only run half way down the length of the outer toon. On mine, they run close to the whole length of the outer pontoon; even the inside lifting strakes. Is the lifting strake length dictated by whether it's a dual or tri-toon and/or motor configuration? Or is it a free-pick by Bennington? Just more of a curiosity than anything as I sit here waiting for open water.Screenshot 2021-02-21 084645.jpgDSC07380.jpg

I think they are different lengths and angles dependent upon the manufacturer. I've seen short and long.

Last edited:
I’ve always wondered this also. I’m glad you asked the question.

At the bottom , is the Keel, on the center toon are the Foils on the outside and inside of the outer toons are the Strakes .
On my 2014 the foils and strakes were full length ,on my 2020 ( and every SPS package I have seen at my dealer ) the foils and strakes are about 3/4 length.

Last edited:
Hello All. I noticed that the lifting strakes on some pontoons that I see on this forum are not the same length as mine. By that I mean, I've some lifting strakes only run half way down the length of the outer toon. On mine, they run close to the whole length of the outer pontoon; even the inside lifting strakes. Is the lifting strake length dictated by whether it's a dual or tri-toon and/or motor configuration? Or is it a free-pick by Bennington? Just more of a curiosity than anything as I sit here waiting for open water.View attachment 28948View attachment 28949

Attachments

• 569152E3-E88D-4AE0-A345-1AA684B2F526.jpeg
    569152E3-E88D-4AE0-A345-1AA684B2F526.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the replies. My pontoon is a twin-toon, 25" diameter. I added the sealed lifting strakes as an option. The Bennington brochure doesn't show lifting strake configuration for a twin-toon with standard 25" diameter toons. Now, I am wondering why Bennington doesn't install lifting strakes on the outside toon on the tri-toons? I am sure there is a good reason for it. Would be interested in the opinion of other's.

Back