Lifting Strakes and Horespower

Jim Rampello

Reaction score
What is the break point where lifting strakes don't help with performance? Is 50Hp too small, where is the cutoff. Asking for a friend!!!;);):D

I had them on a 22' two toon boat with a 115 and they helped for overall speed. I was able to do 35 with that boat with a light load. Extra weight in the boat and it fell on it's face. I couldn't imagine having less hp with them.

Damn, I was hoping for some help on my 20 .... :D

I had them on a 22' two toon boat with a 115 and they helped for overall speed. I was able to do 35 with that boat with a light load. Extra weight in the boat and it fell on it's face. I couldn't imagine having less hp with them.

Ditto. EPP. 6 strakes. 35 mph with 115. Mph drops fast with more weight.

Not sure a boat with a 50 would get up on plane, even with strakes. Just based on pontoons we've rented, not necessarily Benningtons.

I'd say MAYBE strakes help with a 90. 115 they help considerably, if it's just you and maybe one other person.

Kaydano,
I would have thought the EPP package would have given more speed than Lakeliving got with his two regular tunes with strakes. It would seem that the greater displacement of the EPP would carry more weight at the same speed with the same power...Regardless, I don't think our Marine Friend can expect much more then he is getting now from a 20..

Regular EPP does not come with six strakes. That's an upgrade.

2 toons with 4 "long tube" strakes is probably a draw with the EPP. EPP has a third toon, but it is a short toon and does not have as many linear feet of strakes overall. Unless you upgrade with extra strakes.

Tough call between the two. Close to a draw if i had to guess.

Actually, LakeLiving had the one. I had the other. We both got 35 mph. That's as close to a draw as it gets.

Back