Lightning dangers on a pontoon boat??

I don't know about a pontoon boat, but anytime you're on the water and you have lightening, it's not a good thing. I would at least put the bimini all the way down flat.

I agree with cwag911 that anything on the water is dangerous with lightning. However I would leave the top up since it would be the highest point instead of your head being the highest point as electricity will strike the highest point of any structure. Just my opinion though. I think you might have something there though in the fact a pontoon is metal vs a fiberglass boat. Could be little more dangerous.

Well then, just make sure you aren't the tallest person on the boat and you're good!! Hehe. I personally head off the water when a good storm is hitting, it's a small lake, less targets!

Last edited by a moderator:
At 6'5" I need to be careful as well. I also heard on the news this morning that the most lightning deaths occur each year while fishing. There is no fish, or a birdie on the course that would be worth my life. Safety first. Yesterday there was a thunderstorm warning, heavy rains and some idiot was still out pulling a tube around the lake with lightning all around. I thought I was going to see Darwin's theory played out before my own eyes.

Yup, there's stupid all around. :wacko:

Many years ago we were on the docks at the marina on Lake Monroe when someone decided to dodge a storm by outrunning it on the lake instead of heading to closest land. They ferried the victims to ambulances on the ramp right in front of us. 1 killed instantly, another badly burned when lightning hit their boat. That experience guides me to this day when it comes to dangerous weather potential.

And remember, if you're near a lighting strike while on your boat the electricity can run from the water onto the boat VIA motor, steering cable & throttle cables, pontoons, etc.

If I got stuck out in a t-storm, I think I'd try to sit under the middle of the Bimini, on the rear lounge seat, Indian style (feet off floor, legs crossed) making sure not to touch ANYTHING else, especially the Bimini frame !!!

We are on a smaller lake so if something comes up we're back to the dock in a flash. I also always look at noaa.gov prior to boating to check the radar to see where rain, storms are.

The WeatherBug Elite app on my droid smart phone has a lightning meter on it that tells how far away the nearest lightning is. Very useful.

Back