LIST YOUR SPECS HERE

Steve21slx Boat

• Boat Model------ 2016 21SLX

• Tube Option----- 25" tubes no strakes

• Power Option ----- Yamaha F90 LA 4 stroke

• Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade 14 pitch x 13 5/8

• Performance ------ 26-27 MPH/Garmin Handheld 64ST GPS @ 5800rpm with two adults, two bigger dogs and full tank of gas

Last edited:
Any prop suggestions to speed up my boat?

much appreciated!!!

Does it sit on the water, are the toons 100% clean? Did it ever go faster and then seem to slow down? Your RPMs seems to be right on the money, changing props will be a gamble to keep your RPMs where they are now. You might be able to go up one pitch and see what your RPM is but it'd be trial and error. What position is the motor mounted in, where is the cavitation plate when underway? All these factors will affect your speed. 

JeepGoon's Boat:

• Boat Model --------- 22 SSRX
  • Model Year--------- 2015
  • Tube Option --------- Twin Elliptical Performance package
  • Power Option ----- Evinrude 150 H.O.
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Viper 14.75x16P
  • Performance ------ 39.5MPH @ 5250 on GPS
  • Motor is Mounted in the lowest hole, I am thinking of raising it up to get the rpms up higher. any suggestions?

Try a 15x15p Enertia.

I raised my motor up one on ours with sps and saw an improvement on top speed.

So today I picked up a aluminum 15x16P 4 blade Vortex Xhs. It was a windy day so before I return it I'll have to try it out again because something was "off". 6100 rpm and 34mph can't be right..... Can it? I trimmed it up until rpms went up and speed dropped... Not liking it so far, but it's does get on plane fast!

Verado Pro and aluminum prop do not go together.

OK... But I'd rather booger up a $150 prop than my enertia stainless prop. So you're saying nobody 200+ HP runs a aluminum prop? Yet even Mercury recommends the black max, which is an aluminum alloy prop.

OK... But I'd rather booger up a $150 prop than my enertia stainless prop. So you're saying nobody 200+ HP runs a aluminum prop? Yet even Mercury recommends the black max, which is an aluminum alloy prop.

I think what Carl is pointing out is aluminum props flex when spun at the speeds with high horse power engines, and as a result lose thrust - translating into less speed. You probably are going slower with that prop because its not as rigid as SS and thus doesn’t propel the boat as fast. You certainly can run aluminum props with high horse power, and that has a potentially different benefit (cheaper, and perhaps safer to your lower unit if you hit something with your prop). However my understanding (if accurate) is you will lose speed/thrust with aluminum props, and it seems like that’s what has happened for you.

Exactly what I meant. If you want to use your boat to it's fullest, Enertia, if not aluminum. You bought the best pontoon out there (IMHO) so if you boat with the thought of hitting something in the back of your mind, it won't be fun.

Exactly what I meant. If you want to use your boat to it's fullest, Enertia, if not aluminum. You bought the best pontoon out there (IMHO) so if you boat with the thought of hitting something in the back of your mind, it won't be fun.

Gotcha, wasn't trying to stir the pot by any means, still new here and learning. But thank you for clarifying, that's what I needed to hear. I typically need an explanation with a response vs a canned "it's wrong don't do it". I have already decided to return the new "spare" prop. Just not sure what I want to do for a spare now, just very hesitant to spend $500+ on a spare.

Where do you boat that you think you need a spare prop?

Definitely pays to learn your lake, so to speak. Alum Creek, where I frequent, has good all around depth but has points that will extend out into the main body that people have killed lowers on.

Gotcha, wasn't trying to stir the pot by any means, still new here and learning. But thank you for clarifying, that's what I needed to hear. I typically need an explanation with a response vs a canned "it's wrong don't do it". I have already decided to return the new "spare" prop. Just not sure what I want to do for a spare now, just very hesitant to spend $500+ on a spare.

I don’t think you stirred the pot at all. I am like you, I need the answer and the explanation. :D

FYI, IF you are on a body of water where you think you may damage your ss prop, then aluminum is a fine way to go. You may be losing some speed, but you’re still going pretty fast. You also don’t risk your lower unit if you nail something.

Likewise, if you simply want a spare prop for peace of mind, but likely wont damage your ss prop because you are on a safer body of water, then why not save a few bucks, and get an aluminum? You get your peace of mind, without dropping $500+.

Win-win either way. ;)

Where do you boat that you think you need a spare prop?

We're on the Columbia River and the Snake merge. Our salesman tatered his prop last year and is VERY experienced on the same river. Call me paranoid, but I know these verado 200 Pros aren't cheap, and neither is the $80k tritoon we just dropped some coin on. Needless to say, piloting this 23' beast is stressful hahaha.

@Vikingstaff I think I'll just end up buying a spare aluminum and hub to keep "just in case". I'm just afraid of getting stranded out on the water.

You'll get the hang of handling it! Practice makes perfect.

For all those thinking about a spare prop... Don't forget the spare hub kit.

That might actually be more important than a spare prop. If I could only have one, I'd take the hub.

This applies to breakaway hubs, which I assume most are.

Last edited:
  • Boat Model --------- 24SCWXLD
  • Model Year --------- 2018
  • Tube Option -------- EPP 25”
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha F150 - 4S 20”
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade SS Yamaha Series
  • Performance ------ 38 MPH @ 6000rpm on GPS

Last edited:
  • Boat Model --------- 24SCWXLD
  • Model Year --------- 2018
  • Tube Option -------- ESP 25”
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha F150 - 150hp - 4S 20”
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade SS Yamaha Series
  • Performance ------ 38 MPH @ 6000rpm on GPS
I didn't think you could get ESP on the S series, unless you mean EPP (Express Performance Package) or Twin Ellipticals?

Back