Loading Tritoon on Trailer

DanielG

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and can't quite find what I'm looking for so I thought I would post a new topic on this looking for specific answers. Sorry if I'm duplicating.

I'm a new Benny owner and new to Drive-On trailering for a pontoon. I've trailered boats all my life, but not pontoons. I'm having difficulty getting the boat lined up with the trailer rails resulting in multiple attempts at the dock while other boat owners just stand with arms folded waiting on me to get out of the way. To be honest it's stressful and I find myself dreading the latter part of the day on the lake thinking about loading the boat so it's taking some of the fun out of my boating. I need some advice on how to do get this thing on the trailer more successfully.

I'm having a boat dock built, but it won't be ready for several months. I would prefer not to invest in expensive add-ons to the trailer since I'll have a boat dock in a few months. I don't mind adding some super easy, inexpensive things to the trailer if that's going to help the situation, but I need to say I'm not very handy. There's not really a good ramp for us to walk the boat up on the trailer so drive-on is really the best option.

I need tips to drive-on trailering like points of reference for line-up, how-to's, etc... to eliminate multiple attempts at lining up the boat on the rails. I'm currently the boat driver, trailer driver and loader so the only help I have (until others in family are trained ;)) is them saying go left, go right. I would like some self-help tips as to how far to back the trailer in and what you look for in lining up the boat when driving on the trailer. Thx.

For my set up. I back bunks in completely to wet them, pull out til second bunk support is above water, leave front gate open, the drivers seat is more or less inline with the right bunk, line that up, drive on up, watch thru front gate til you hit the stop. If im solo i leave a little throttle on and walk up to the ladder and set my ratchet. Shut off, pull out. Practice, practice, practice. If you have a load of people, let some out or get them in the stern. Let them yahoos stand around watching, that's what they do, F.T.P.

Last edited:
A97D5D5E-2716-4E8F-9023-5324229BF048.png

I had these on my last trailer and they worked really good. They’re flexible enough that they have some give if you’re a bit off on your approach but stiff enough to straighten you out. They’re long enough that when your trailer is backed all the way in there’s still enough of the guides sticking up to guide you in. They also really help to let you know that you’re centered on the bunks and keep the back end in place in windy conditions.

Renegade34 that looks like a good option. I will check this out.

I'd still be interested in any other tips that anyone has for lining up or how far to back in or step-by-step guide that they have found successful.

View attachment 22772

I had these on my last trailer and they worked really good. They’re flexible enough that they have some give if you’re a bit off on your approach but stiff enough to straighten you out. They’re long enough that when your trailer is backed all the way in there’s still enough of the guides sticking up to guide you in. They also really help to let you know that you’re centered on the bunks and keep the back end in place in windy conditions.

Renegade, quick question on these trailer guides.
When installed how much space do you leave between the side of the boat and the guides when you're installing them? I wouldn't think you would want too much as the boat may get off the runners, but also not too tight as there has to be some tolerance.

I've found the easiest way for me is to line up the boat centerline to the middle of the trailer. I drive mine up with it just in gear (no additional throttle) and stand near the center of the boat steering with my right hand. Easy to make slight corrections as necessary and goes on absolutely straight every time. As it slides on the bunks I take it out of gear. Once it stops I put it back in gear and blip the throttle enough to move it the 2 feet or so to the trailer stops. Whether it's windy or calm this has been the best method for me.

I've found the easiest way for me is to line up the boat centerline to the middle of the trailer. I drive mine up with it just in gear (no additional throttle) and stand near the center of the boat steering with my right hand. Easy to make slight corrections as necessary and goes on absolutely straight every time. As it slides on the bunks I take it out of gear. Once it stops I put it back in gear and blip the throttle enough to move it the 2 feet or so to the trailer stops. Whether it's windy or calm this has been the best method for me.

SUPER HELPFUL! I will definitely try this. . I've been trying to gauge the right toon over the side but can't see enough to get it on. Sighting from the middle makes a lot of sense. Thanks

When installed how much space do you leave between the side of the boat and the guides when you're installing them? I wouldn't think you would want too much as the boat may get off the runners, but also not too tight as there has to be some tolerance.

I had them positioned so they were about an inch or two from the side of the pontoons.
I really liked them because if you’re not coming in 100% straight it’ll give the front just a little nudge to straighten it out. Once your on then the wind can’t push the back end off either.
They are also flexible enough they won’t damage anything if you hit them a bit too hard.
I’m thinking about putting them on my new one even though I only launch once a year. They’re fairly inexpensive.

I just sit behind the helm and guesstimate my line of sight as it is approximately where the keel of starboard toon is. Works for me.

The only thing I hate about my boat is having to drive it on the trailer, this thing makes me look like an idiot every time and trust me when I tell you I’m already 3/4’s the way the there! The easiest trick I found was take a dock line and just loop it through the center toon and lay it on the floor in line with my center storage and leave the door open, for some unknown reason this seems to let me hit it everytime.

Last edited:
I had them positioned so they were about an inch or two from the side of the pontoons.
I really liked them because if you’re not coming in 100% straight it’ll give the front just a little nudge to straighten it out. Once your on then the wind can’t push the back end off either.
They are also flexible enough they won’t damage anything if you hit them a bit too hard.
I’m thinking about putting them on my new one even though I only launch once a year. They’re fairly inexpensive.

Between your suggestion and Randy's (Havasu) I think I can get it done. I purchased 60" guides (Item # CE27646). Ramps are steep where we are so I wanted a little more height plus I wanted the galvanized hardware. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will let you know how many attempts it takes me after I get these put on my trailer. :D

Good luck! I think you'll kill it next time...

Good luck! I think you'll kill it next time...

And by "Kill it" Steve refers to flawless loading and not running the boat up on shore striking a tree or pole and in fact, killing it!

I've never powered our toon on the trailer. I back the trailer in the water and float it on. We've done it hundreds of times with the 2 boats we have owned over the years. Wherever the front lines up the back will follow. Then attach the strap and winch it the rest of the way .....Practice! You'll get it!

I haven't gotten my trailer guides in yet, but I took my boat out today to test my newly installed Power Assisted Steering I had added, which drives like a dream. When it came to drive-on trailering I took Havasu's suggestion and stood in the center of the boat with one hand on steering wheel. Lined up the on the middle toon and nailed it, first time! I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. :D

I haven’t read through the others before posting here, but this is my technique. I slightly lean over the starboard side, line up the starboard toon as I ever so slowly advance forward. If needed, stop, and even back up a little to realign. If others are standing around, I try to block them out. Yep, I guarantee that if you hit the starboard toon in the right place, the other two will hit their spot, too.

I haven’t read through the others before posting here, but this is my technique. I slightly lean over the starboard side, line up the starboard toon as I ever so slowly advance forward. If needed, stop, and even back up a little to realign. If others are standing around, I try to block them out. Yep, I guarantee that if you hit the starboard toon in the right place, the other two will hit their spot, too.
I do the same pulling into my narrow 10 ft slip, that's really about 9 1/2 ft slip with the cushions I installed on the corners of the entrance to the slip.

I don’t have a trailer but I use the guides that Renegade34 suggested they work great on my lift. I lean over enough to see the starboard side of the toon and drive it onto the lift. Approximately 2-3” clearance on each side.

I had the same issue but yest i open the front door and its alot easier to stand up and see center tube. First shot. We put a lottle over half the trailer under water. About 2 ft in front of the axles.

I had small receivers made so when i drive they are tight to the side but when i launch or retrieve they slide a foot in each direction.

Back