Looked into my slow gas fill...

the-little-B

Reaction score
Have issues like many have talked about on here with the slow gas fill. I dug into it today and although I don't think it's "the" fix , it at least takes fuel now even if it's still on the slow side.

The pictures show my set up. The filler neck has no vent line going to it or a vent hole in the the filler neck itself. All that is (was) there is a flapper valve snapped on to the end of the fill tube. My issue was the filler neck would fill and not flow past the flapper valve. Got $.37 into it before the pump kicked off this morning and that is the norm. All I did was remove the flapper valve and it takes fuel now. It does spit back some if you try and run the pump too fast.

I took the screws out of the filler neck , removed the white flapper valve that was snapped on to the end of the tube (last pic) , and reinstalled the filler assembly.

Whoever designed this system needs a kick in the nuts! I'll be calling the dealer Monday morning or the manufacturer of the fill assembly directly and see if they have any solutions. I highly doubt it though. IMG_20180728_132241.jpg IMG_20180728_132237.jpg IMG_20180728_132229.jpg IMG_20180728_132140.jpg

Did you get a funnel with your boat? Some on here have received one to combat the fill problem. It's the government that made them come up with the venting cannister for boats like a car.

I did receive a funnel but it didn't help things. And yes , our good ole govt mandating all this stuff is the main problem! Just like the new gas cans that are supposed to stop spills ends up putting more on the ground than the old ones ever did! I blame them and not Bennington!

The thing that has me scratching my head is the style of the tank and lines on my boat does not match anything that is in the post about the envirofill set up and my filler neck doesn't resemble anything in the pics either.

That flapper may have been designed for the purpose of preventing incorrect fuel nozzle (diesel) from being used. It’s possible it doesn’t effect the EPA portion of the system, just my 2 cents ....

What’s the hole in the deck with nothing in it?

The flapper is down in so far that you can only reach it with a long screwdriver. I dont think there is a fuel nozzle out there long enough to reach it. It's spring loaded so im guessing its to keep gas from sloshing back into the filler?

The empty hole in the deck I believe is for adding a ski poles. There is a plate under the deck right there and a bracket welded in the bottom of the transom in line with it also. It would come up through the center cup holder in the rear console then.

We have the fishing station with the ski pylon and that is the hole it goes thru.

Have issues like many have talked about on here with the slow gas fill. I dug into it today and although I don't think it's "the" fix , it at least takes fuel now even if it's still on the slow side.

The pictures show my set up. The filler neck has no vent line going to it or a vent hole in the the filler neck itself. All that is (was) there is a flapper valve snapped on to the end of the fill tube. My issue was the filler neck would fill and not flow past the flapper valve. Got $.37 into it before the pump kicked off this morning and that is the norm. All I did was remove the flapper valve and it takes fuel now. It does spit back some if you try and run the pump too fast.

I took the screws out of the filler neck , removed the white flapper valve that was snapped on to the end of the tube (last pic) , and reinstalled the filler assembly.

Whoever designed this system needs a kick in the nuts! I'll be calling the dealer Monday morning or the manufacturer of the fill assembly directly and see if they have any solutions. I highly doubt it though. View attachment 22999 View attachment 23000 View attachment 23001 View attachment 23002
We were on Torch lake this past week and had a similar incident where the boat would not take fuel even though it was below 1/4 tank. The marina was a Bennington dealer and they said the funnel would not help and said something like insects getting stuck in the vent and I needed service (blah blah blah) or it won't take on fuel. I went down to another marina and it filled up no problem. Not sure if they were just impatient at the other place or wanted me to pay them money to fix it but I wasn't born yesterday. It does spit a little at first but it seems like if the nozzle is in the sweet spot it goes in no problem.

I just put fuel in mine this weekend, took 10 gallons, no problem! I am glad I don't have these issues. I had a car once that some kids put weeds in the filler nozzle past the flap at the top, took forever to fill. I finally took it apart and found weeds on the screen at the bottom of the fill tube. Removed weeds, filled fine, then a locking gas cap was installed!

Good Morning. the-little-B

Me and my Dad are tying to diagnose this same same problem a few years later and just found out the flapper is either difficult to open with the fuel nozzle or staying closed due to pressure or the new fuel set up at the marina we use (which just pupated to the latest fuel nozzles). So I did more research and saw your post about the flapper and removal to see what it looks like.

We have the same set up as you with the tank in our fishing station and the same gas tank (Moellon)

We filled it up using 5 gallon tanks and a priming syphon tube pushed (just right area and kinda forced) passed the flapper and that worked perfectly.

When we did that we did not notice a pressure force coming out of the tank when the flapper was ope so not sure if it a pressure build up problem caused by clogged vent line.

Was wondering if you found a fix or just using a work around?

I just posted about this Saturday.

Back