Looking at a 2016 22SX

MikeOnTheLake

Reaction score
Hi There!

My wife and I have finally decided to move forward and look for a "new to us" boat. We are going to look at a used 2016 22SX Saturday, SPS pontoons and a Yamaha F200. Boat looks very nice from the pictures and has low hours.

We've never had a pontoon boat before and have never bought a used boat. Is there anything in particular we should be evaluating or looking at on a used tritoon? I appreciate any and all tips.

Thanks!
Mike

Welcome. If you've never had a boat, I would suggest hiring someone (marine surveyor) to look at it first.

Get the seating arrangement that fits your boating style. We have had 12 boats and I love my current one more than all of them.
A few of them were a sea ray 340 sundancer, sea ray 270 slx, Harris Crowne and others. Nothing like a Bennington !!!

Welcome. If you've never had a boat, I would suggest hiring someone (marine surveyor) to look at it first.

1trotter and Carl, thanks for the replies.

The layout of this boat is really close to what I've been configuring online. Basically, fishing and cruising.

If purchased, this will be my 4th boat, but 1st pontoon. I've had boats for over 30 years and typically work on them myself and do some of the light outboard maintenance. So far on my checklist is:
-make sure the pontoons are not dented or damaged as well as look for signs they've been repaired
-check for any problems or damage underneath the deck and visible issues with wiring (boat is on a trailer)
-check vinyl floor and seats for damage and abuse. i.e. rips, gouges, staining
-check storage for mold mildew,and signs of leaking
-check wiring in consol
-check prop and lower unit for signs of impact and damage
-make sure electronics are working, including pumps for livewell etc.
-get engine stats on cylinder compression and check maintenance records

Anything else anyone can add is appreciated. If all of the above checks out, I'd like to take the boat for a water test, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that Saturday.

Thanks,
Mike

Engine compression would be the big one. Most things are easily accessible for do it yourself peeps.

Sounds like you know what you are looking for. The good news is if there are any non-owner damages and items aren't working, it is under warranty and you can have the current owner take care of them before you buy it.

Also on the F200, there was a ECU recall on some of the earlier models. Mine is a 2014 so not sure how many were impacted but look at the ecu and I believe it should end in 01 which signifies that is the new one. Apparently there was an issue with the knock sensing if you run less than the recommended 89 octane.

I did some looking and it looks like the serial numbers effected by the recall are 100001-1006187

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/619468-yamaha-f200xb-recall-ecu.html

Sounds like you know what you are looking for. The good news is if there are any non-owner damages and items aren't working, it is under warranty and you can have the current owner take care of them before you buy it.

Also on the F200, there was a ECU recall on some of the earlier models. Mine is a 2014 so not sure how many were impacted but look at the ecu and I believe it should end in 01 which signifies that is the new one. Apparently there was an issue with the knock sensing if you run less than the recommended 89 octane.

I did some looking and it looks like the serial numbers effected by the recall are 100001-1006187

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/619468-yamaha-f200xb-recall-ecu.html

Thanks lakeliving, boat and motor are 2016, so this should not be an issue. However, it is a good reminder to do more research tonight on any issues with 2016 Yamaha F200's.

Last edited:
My question would be. Buying from a dealer or private owner?

Illinois Ave, boat is at a Bennington dealer, which is a big plus for getting warranty transferred. The boat was bought at this dealership, but I'm unsure if the dealership is selling it for the owner or if they bought it back and are selling it themselves. I'll find out tomorrow.

I believe the warranty will go from 10 to 5 years being the second owner.

Welcome MOTL! It sounds like you've well versed to do the inspection yourself but I'd ask the dealer or the seller for the maintenance history. Also be aware that just because the boat is a 2016, the engine may not be. There was a discussion on this forum not too long ago about new engines not always being current engines. Beyond that, I'm excited that you may have found yourself a very nice Benny!

Illinois Ave, boat is at a Bennington dealer, which is a big plus for getting warranty transferred. The boat was bought at this dealership, but I'm unsure if the dealership is selling it for the owner or if they bought it back and are selling it themselves. I'll find out tomorrow.
I put mine on Consignment at my Dealer and before they would even advertise the boat they did a complete inspection on my boat. So I would expect they did an inspection on that boat. Good Luck !

Get the seating arrangement that fits your boating style. We have had 12 boats and I love my current one more than all of them.
A few of them were a sea ray 340 sundancer, sea ray 270 slx, Harris Crowne and others. Nothing like a Bennington !!!
I always wanted a to upgrade to a Sea Ray 270 slx from our deck boat, but we then test drove our 25 Q and we never looked back. How do you compare the two boats? I probably know your answer but I am still curious to hear what you have to say since you've had a lot more experience with different boats than me

I believe the warranty will go from 10 to 5 years being the second owner.

I'm pretty sure you are correct Carl. Bennington started their 10 year warranty program after 2016. I asked Bennington about what warranty transfers on a 2016 via their website this morning, but unfortunately have not received a reply.

Thanks!
Mike

Welcome MOTL! It sounds like you've well versed to do the inspection yourself but I'd ask the dealer or the seller for the maintenance history. Also be aware that just because the boat is a 2016, the engine may not be. There was a discussion on this forum not too long ago about new engines not always being current engines. Beyond that, I'm excited that you may have found yourself a very nice Benny!

Michiman, we're excited too! Plan was to buy new next year, but if we can find what we want now "lightly" used, we'll pull the trigger. With that said, I have my business man hat firmly planted on my head when making big ticket decisions. Trigger only gets pulled if boat is actually in great shape and it's a good deal.

MOTL...LOL. I had to figure that out. I've only been MOTL a few years and, at that, only part time right now. Plan is to be full time in 7 years when we retire.

Thanks!
Mike

I've only been MOTL a few years and, at that, only part time right now. Plan is to be full time in 7 years when we retire.
Sounds like a great plan! Good luck with the inspection. And just to clarify, I have a 2016 with a 10 year full warranty.

OK, so my wife and I took a look at the boat. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from us. The boat looks good, everything checks out, and we like it. I made an offer not too far off asking price and left a deposit.

The boat is on consignment and the offer needs to go to the owner. I thought the sales guy would try to call him, but nope, he said he would try to contact him later today. Sales guy sent me an email now and said it will be Tuesday before I know anything. Dealership is closed Sunday and Monday, so I get to be kept in suspense for a few days.

OK, so my wife and I took a look at the boat. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from us. The boat looks good, everything checks out, and we like it. I made an offer not too far off asking price and left a deposit.

The boat is on consignment and the offer needs to go to the owner. I thought the sales guy would try to call him, but nope, he said he would try to contact him later today. Sales guy sent me an email now and said it will be Tuesday before I know anything. Dealership is closed Sunday and Monday, so I get to be kept in suspense for a few days.

Wow! Good luck; will be a long few days!

Back