Looking at a used Bennington and need advice

Four R's

Reaction score
just found a 2011 Bennington 2274 GLI with 84 hours and a Merc 115 ELPT 4EFI. Comes with twin 25" pontoons and lifting strakes. Only been used in freshwater but I will be using it in Barnegat Bay (salt water) and it will be sitting in the water all season. I know it needs bottom paint and zincs. What other concerns are there? Asking 26K and I think its worth 22?

I'm thought I read somewhere that is is highly recommend having solid keels in salt water or critters will live inside the hollow cavity .......

last place you want corrosion/holes is under the keel guards .........

Last edited by a moderator:
The saltwater pkg has sealed lifting strakes , solid keel, and anodes

I'm thought I read somewhere that is is highly recommend having solid keels in salt water or critters will live inside the hollow cavity .......

last place you want corrosion/holes is under the keel guards .........
You are right and I did forget that. Oh well, will continue to look. For the future, any problem with the Merc as compared to Yamaha?

think it will be a better idea to have boat already packaged for saltwater. thanks. How about Merc over Yamaha? I heard Yamaha is the best?
That's a "Ford vs Chevy" sort of question. Yamaha 4-strokes are thought to be no-fuss bulletproof, and used a lot in salt on the center console fishing boats, but like anything you'll find those who don't like them, same with Mercs. The Yamaha 150 is a "go to" sweet spot engine for many Benningtons and works very well. Good luck!

That's a "Ford vs Chevy" sort of question. Yamaha 4-strokes are thought to be no-fuss bulletproof, and used a lot in salt on the center console fishing boats, but like anything you'll find those who don't like them, same with Mercs. The Yamaha 150 is a "go to" sweet spot engine for many Benningtons and works very well. Good luck!
thanks. Will continue to look for something saltwater ready.

They are both great engines. The interesting thing is is that Mercury and Yamaha have a very close business relationship. Many of their motors are very similar if not identical. As early as 1972 there was the formation of a relationship with Yamaha in which Brunswick and Yamaha jointly owned Sanshin Kogyo Co., a Yamaha subsidiary that made outboard motors. By 1974, the Yamaha arrangement allowed Mercury to introduce a second line of engines under the Mariner brand name. When they began making 4-strokes Yamaha and Mercury entered into a joint venture and shared the responsibility for design and manufacture of the motors. More recently Yamaha has been manufacturing complete powerheads for Mercury 4-strokes. Since 2000 Mercury has been manufacturing their own 4-strokes in the 30/40/50/60 hp range. I think they once again have gone their separate ways, but Mercury and Yamaha are close cousins often "joined at the hip." :) I have been told by many folks who work on Merc's that for many years they have used Yamaha heads, and at one time used heads from Tohatsu as well. When I worked in the Chevrolet Engine Assembly Plant in Tonawanda, NY, we used to put together the Merc inboard motors (mid 70's.) Go figure.

Four R's, you should also price out a new boat from Bennington. Many, many dealers will sell new for 22 to 28% less than MSRP.

Four R's, you should also price out a new boat from Bennington. Many, many dealers will sell new for 22 to 28% less than MSRP.
funny you mention that because our only local Benny dealer has a brand new (strom damaged) 2275 GCW loaded and saltwater ready with 32" elipticals) The damage includes some dents to the pontoons ans some scratches. Get the feeling I can get it for under 30 (closer to 25 I think). Engine has full warranty and waiting to see if they will fully warranty the rest of the boat as a new one.

funny you mention that because our only local Benny dealer has a brand new (strom damaged) 2275 GCW loaded and saltwater ready with 32" elipticals) The damage includes some dents to the pontoons ans some scratches. Get the feeling I can get it for under 30 (closer to 25 I think). Engine has full warranty and waiting to see if they will fully warranty the rest of the boat as a new one.
Sounds like what you want! You can get some of those dents out by using hot/cold, look for some info on you tube, it's amazing what can be done!

One good thing ...... the first dents won't be put there by you !!! :D

If the dents are not that bad and they will warranty as new, if the price feels right....... DO IT !!!

If the dents are not that bad and they will warranty as new, if the price feels right....... DO IT !!!
I can always tell my friends that all the dents, original and mine, were already there. Once I slam in the dock they'll know better. I did inspect the boat and the dents or scratches are so minimal. Other scratches are on the rails etc and the playpen cover has some tears near the snaps. Waiting on the dealer who was at Phil Boat Show. Thanks for the advice.

took your advice and pulled the trigger. got a great price and extremely pleased with Sheltered Cove Marina in Tuckerton, NJ. Picking it up in mid May.

Congrats.

Great news! What did you find out about warranty? Should still have the 10 year deck down warranty and whatever is remaining of the 5 year above deck warranty right?

Great news! What did you find out about warranty? Should still have the 10 year deck down warranty and whatever is remaining of the 5 year above deck warranty right?
Should be full....it was a leftover ...... except for minor dings & dents ..... MIGHT qualify for 7 year warranty ?????

Full new boat warranty except for a few cosmetic issues which probably would not be covered anyway. Ie few tears near the snaps on the cover, one very small indentation on one pontoon, few scratches on the rubber guard that goes around the rail. Hell, I can probably do all that on my maiden voyage!
Should be full....it was a leftover ...... except for minor dings & dents ..... MIGHT qualify for 7 year warranty ?????
The 7 year warranty is only on 2013 boats. this is a 2012 left-over.

... The 7 year warranty is only on 2013 boats. this is a 2012 left-over.
They were giving the extension on 2012 left overs. There is a post somewhere here from TB concerning this so you might want to search on it.

Back